Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2.8l motor bad under 1k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2.8l motor bad under 1k miles

It is very very easy to miss a spot. I cleaned my EH intake what I thought was pristine and then ruined my engine within hours. I failed to inspect the vacuum port area well enough. After sending out to three different cleaning places EH told me they would not install the intake again. They told me it is simply too difficult to remove all the abrasive grit from this area. They also told me they would no longer provide this service to our intakes because of this fact. I think with enough brake cleaner and engine cleaning brushes I can get it done, but it will take a very long time. Apparently no cleaner cuts the silicone based media the silicon carbide dust is suspended in. They even tried an MEK ultrasonic bath. It is a shame because the intake runners look so sweet after this process. A quick way to gain 12% more flow. Well, that is what LR measured on a flow bench anyway.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:10 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

On a side note...
I met the CEO of Extrude Hone (Kennametal) a couple time at Pittsburgh Cars & Coffee.
He usually brings his Audi R10.
Between his car and the Rolex Daytona on his wrist, he seems to have done pretty well for himself.
Hope they set up and take care of your problem.

Last edited by mwc951; 07-08-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
It is very very easy to miss a spot. I cleaned my EH intake what I thought was pristine and then ruined my engine within hours. I failed to inspect the vacuum port area well enough. After sending out to three different cleaning places EH told me they would not install the intake again. They told me it is simply too difficult to remove all the abrasive grit from this area. They also told me they would no longer provide this service to our intakes because of this fact. I think with enough brake cleaner and engine cleaning brushes I can get it done, but it will take a very long time. Apparently no cleaner cuts the silicone based media the silicon carbide dust is suspended in. They even tried an MEK ultrasonic bath. It is a shame because the intake runners look so sweet after this process. A quick way to gain 12% more flow. Well, that is what LR measured on a flow bench anyway.
Yes it blows right into you motor under boost? Maybe use compressed air to blow it out? (Or an ultrasonic bath...)
Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2.8l motor bad under 1k miles

For once Tom did not read, Ha Ha Ha!

Must be using the new IPhone App!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwc951
On a side note...

I met the CEO of Extrude Hone (Kennametal) a couple time at Pittsburgh Cars & Coffee.
He usually brings his Audi R10.
Between his car and the Rolex Daytona on his wrist, he seems to have done pretty well for himself.
Hope they set up and take care of your problem.
hopfully the end of this week will have an update and see what they will cover
Old 12-02-2015, 08:03 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Ok guys, finally want to close this thread. so you guys know i had an issue with lindsey after sending parts to the lab and to manufactures to check what caused this, it was the intake manifold, after providing sufficient prove to lindsey. They contacted EH and used there lawyer and took my side and backed me up!! long story short mike was amazing with communication and once i showed proper prof they backed me up and went after EH. we ended up settling half way got 5900 bucks back to me.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You only got half of your loss back?? So even though it was their fault you're still out of pocket. Seems like a pretty average outcome to me, though better than nothing I guess.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:18 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I could've went to court if I wanted to I really did not want to deal with the hassle... I wasn't going to sit there and fight with Extrude Hone for months about it even though I've already been fighting with them long enough to get half of it back! At that point having six grand in my pocket versus having nothing was a lot better they tried offering me three grand at first that wasn't going to fly so I settle at halfway could I've got more back probably but I decided just to take my losses and be done with it
Old 12-03-2015, 07:09 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn that sucks, sorry to hear about (imho) the poor outcome. Hope you take that 6 grand and get a decent motor in the car soon.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:11 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Damn that sucks, sorry to hear about (imho) the poor outcome. Hope you take that 6 grand and get a decent motor in the car soon.
It sucked a lot worse when I had nothing back lol... Currently have a 3.0l in the car with an electromotive EMS and a 6262 turbo charger .. Went way more expensive route this time . Should be on dyno shortly
Old 12-03-2015, 08:24 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i guess it could be worse
Old 12-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

In the early 1970s, i built an Oldsmobile 425 motor for drag racing. Installed a new Offenhauser two 4 barrel manifold. Cleaned the manifold with soap and water, plus compressed air.

The engine ran for about 20 minutes, then all hell. Turns out a small chamber in the intake had core sand. Destroyed the block, Venolia pistons. Offy initial response, not their problem. But later paid a few hundred dollars for damage. I had the core sand residue, to prove what happened.

I just restored a 1965 442 convertible, installed an Offy 2x4 manifold. Beat the hell out of the manifold to be sure no core sand.

Education is expensive.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan 91 C2
In the early 1970s, i built an Oldsmobile 425 motor for drag racing. Installed a new Offenhauser two 4 barrel manifold. Cleaned the manifold with soap and water, plus compressed air.

The engine ran for about 20 minutes, then all hell. Turns out a small chamber in the intake had core sand. Destroyed the block, Venolia pistons. Offy initial response, not their problem. But later paid a few hundred dollars for damage. I had the core sand residue, to prove what happened.

I just restored a 1965 442 convertible, installed an Offy 2x4 manifold. Beat the hell out of the manifold to be sure no core sand.

Education is expensive.
Originally Posted by reno808
i guess it could be worse
Yes it could be worse six grand is better then nothing is my book ..
Old 12-03-2015, 09:09 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to let you guys no the finally results . Some of you may not be happy with the 6 grand but I am even tho it sucked it's finally over now on to the next headache !!!

Quick Reply: 2.8l motor bad under 1k miles