Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2.8l motor bad under 1k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
There is nothing wrong with that cross-hatching... if you are driving a chevy... They screwed up your build. the evidence is really clear on this one. Good Luck. I hope they know how many people are watching this situation to see how they resolve it.
They haven't responded to my last emails of photos of the Pistons etc. I would upload them but I can't off my phone when I get to the computer I will.. We will see what will happen
Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have they been sent a link to this thread?
Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrown
They haven't responded to my last emails of photos of the Pistons etc. I would upload them but I can't off my phone when I get to the computer I will.. We will see what will happen

Actually, some truth being told here for a change...

Devon, you sent us 12 emails on the 1st. We replied to 9 of them. You send us 12 emails the day before that. We replied to 9 of those as well. That's just the last two communication days.

We lastly asked you (on the 1st) what's going on with the intake. What did the "lab" say. We asked you where the piston was we asked for. We asked if we could assist in getting it picked up, send a call tag, or anything to get it here. NO REPLY, comment, status etc... since from you for 13 days now.

We checked with both Wossner US distributors and they tell us they have had no conversations with you regarding any pistons being sent for inspection.

And for those of you who think there was a issue with the bores, there wasn't. There are probably very few persons anywhere who have bored more of these alusil blocks then us. Over 12 now years using all Sunnens tools and materials and following all instructions, feeds and speeds. Sorry, but you're just plain wrong on this one folks!

And.... this whole thing very likely has nothing to do with bores at all.

So Devon, let's not try to paint a picture of LR doing nothing unless we are actually doing nothing.

We have replied to every single email or call from you since this issue was brought up to us on a more then a very timely manner. You know that's true,
so quit pretending it's not.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 04-13-2015, 03:07 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

there is no pretending here. The Pistons are getting sent to Wossner, oil is at the lab getting tested, same with intake manifold, yes you responded to my emails but I believe I sent the last one and got no response. Anyways a piston will be sent to you, been working 13 days with out a day off been very busy since the weather got nice, I am making sure everything you ask you are going on get, as for the bores current shop asked if the people who built this engine knew what they were doing, that is besides the point I will make sure a piston is out to you by the end of this week. And it is not just the bores. Valve stem seals not installed properly many newb mistakes,also the issue with the intake. I paid very good money for this motor! Making sure there is proper documentation for everything that got evaluated

Lindsey;12201030]Actually, some truth being told here for a change...

Devon, you sent us 12 emails on the 1st. We replied to 9 of them. You send us 12 emails the day before that. We replied to 9 of those as well. That's just the last two communication days.

We lastly asked you (on the 1st) what's going on with the intake. What did the "lab" say. We asked you where the piston was we asked for. We asked if we could assist in getting it picked up, send a call tag, or anything to get it here. NO REPLY, comment, status etc... since from you for 13 days now.

We checked with both Wossner US distributors and they tell us they have had no conversations with you regarding any pistons being sent for inspection.

And for those of you who think there was a issue with the bores, there wasn't. There are probably very few persons anywhere who have bored more of these alusil blocks then us. Over 12 now years using all Sunnens tools and materials and following all instructions, feeds and speeds. Sorry, but you're just plain wrong on this one folks!

And.... this whole thing very likely has nothing to do with bores at all.

So Devon, let's not try to paint a picture of LR doing nothing unless we are actually doing nothing.

We have replied to every single email or call from you since this issue was brought up to us on a more then a very timely manner. You know that's true,
so quit pretending it's not.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-03-2015, 06:39 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Ok, guys been a WHILE- have an update i sent pistions(sent them to wosser company that made them) and oil out to a lab to get checked out. from what they said it was not fuel washed or the bores that caused the issue!, it was abrasive media... the abrasive media came from the intake manifold when it got extrude honed and was not cleaned proplery. when the motor warmed up the media broke loose and went into my cylinder walls and yeah pretty much says it all. in the intake manifold you can see were the media came from in the intake runners- we new this was one of the issues but needed to confirm it. i got the manifold from Lindsey they built me my 2.8 but they contract some of the work out such as my manifold, i gave them all the evidence and proved it was not fuel washed or overheated and now they are on my side and are talking to extrude hone (the 3rd party company who did my manifold contracted from Lindsey) and taking the appropriate action to get me some $ back since it tore up my new motor..
Old 07-04-2015, 09:10 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry for your hassle!
Just curious...
How did you come to the decision going with an extrude honed OEM intake manifold vs the LR intake.
I would think since they were building your engine, they would recommend (or try to sell you) their proprietary LR intake.

Again, sorry for your hassle & expense. Your (new) 3L looks stunning!
Old 07-04-2015, 10:07 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

they gave me the option also they said theres would flow more, but again theres was alot more then the EH one they said i could do that to save money.... if i had a more cash i would of
Old 07-04-2015, 07:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Glad to hear it wasn't LR's fault and they are standing behind it.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:40 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id suggest making another thread relieving Lindsey Racing of the blame and simultaneously warning people not to use extrude honed intakes.

But seriously, what a kick in the *****. You had to go through all that hard work 2 times because of a stupid intake manifold process that does almost nothing...
Old 07-07-2015, 05:59 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on Lee, Dave and Mike have always been there for me, and as far as extrude hone goes, they and any other company should stop offering it.. it is old technology.. plain and simple.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Someone mounted it on the engine without inspecting it toughly though..
Old 07-07-2015, 07:16 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Voith

they shipped it with out it installed, due to i had the turbocharger.. any ways yes sound of been inspected. anyways at lest now they are trying to help me . they are putting alot of effort in mike now that i have proof why the motor went bad
Old 07-07-2015, 07:23 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Inspect yes, however, extrude hone process has been around long enough the contractor should know better. I remember extrude hone intakes from the 80's on 5.0L mustangs...not like extrude honing is new to the engine market.

I can honestly say my 3.0L has been flawless since I installed it and I have put 18000km on it since I put it in the car.

I would hope that the place that did the extrude hone covers they damage they caused.

Originally Posted by Voith
Old 07-07-2015, 07:31 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

On that note for everyone doing their own installs of certain parts.

Flush oil coolers and intakes before install. I just flushed out the intake from RAGE2's old car I'm building plus the 86 turbo I'm helping my neighbor with. Both had crap in them......mainly oily residue.

I also will not use an old oil cooler such as the one from RAGE's car since the Naturally Aspirated connecting rod.....in a turbo...snapped in 2 places and sent metal fragments out 2 sides of the block.

Again I hope the contractor for the intake makes good on this for you.

Originally Posted by JBrown
they shipped it with out it installed, due to i had the turbocharger.. any ways yes sound of been inspected. anyways at lest now they are trying to help me . they are putting alot of effort in mike now that i have proof why the motor went bad
Old 07-07-2015, 07:40 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

the intake was micro cleaned by the company who made it looks like they missed a spot

Quick Reply: 2.8l motor bad under 1k miles