Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
I don't really mind spilling the beans on what the plan is but I have a lot of work ahead of me to make it happen. The next race is in November so I have time but that race includes a night race so at a minimum I have to get the headlights mounted. If I have time I would like to build a light pod as well.

Anyway, here's the plan. About a year back I got a great deal on some 968 fiberglass fenders and hood that are built to house 993 headlights. I picked up a used factory bumper and the 993 headlights from ebay. I'm finally getting around to putting it all on now. The hood bolts right up to the hinges so that is already on but I'm going to have to get creative on mounting the fenders, bumper, and headlights. I also have Broadfoot GT2 flares although I'm not sure they are going to work. I feel like the tire would crash into them if I hit a big rock or, down the line, land a jump hard. Flares aren't really a priority until I get to upgrading the suspension though and the track widens. Overall I think it's going to look pretty cool on a rally build! Especially with a light pod on the front of the hood.

Unfortunately there tends to be a lot of home improvement projects that get in the way of working on the car but I'll definitely post a pic once I get it all together!
Sounds cool! Maybe do a 959 Rothmans Dakar style livery with that 968 front end?

Old 07-19-2019, 09:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Thanks.
This post is just subliminal marketing for the kit

I am finishing my 16v supercharged engine now, but have been watching the 1.8 and 2.5 swaps with great interest due to modern parts availability and the sheer space that opens up behind the radiator.

Theres a good chance this 16v 944/928/ford/volvo/gm frankenstein I'm sticking together may be my last 944 engine...
Originally Posted by vt951
Well, the first failure was oiling but it doesn’t count because it was done intentionally by Lemons (people’s curse). But after that, we did have one (or maybe two?) engine throw a rod through the side of the block without warning. We also had an assortment of problems with overheating and head gasket failures, AFM glitches, alternator not charging, throwing belts, and I think more that I’m not remembering. Anyway, this is a can of worms that I probably shouldn’t have opened, so I’ll leave it at that.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike and I will be at the shop tomorrow night, so we can get measurements relative to his 951 front end and brake ducts.
Here are a few options I think we can make work, depending on space behind the 951 valence and how much trimming everyone is willing to do.

Having a bottom/rear facing inlet on the passenger side and a top/side or top/rear facing outlet on the drivers side look like good options.

Custom from Bell: https://bellintercoolers.com/c-13885...iversal.html#!

Audi S2/RS2: https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...1001-tf-1.html

Audi TTRS Gen 1: https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...0001019-1.html

Audi current TTRS/RS3: https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...200001107.html

Custom Wagner: https://www.wagner-tuning.com/content/configurator

Craig
Old 07-19-2019, 02:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts
Default 951 core with up-pointing end tanks fits well.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:34 PM
t0mbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like I missed something. If you're doing a swap on a 951 why change from the stock intercooler location? I'm sure you all have a good reason and I just missed it.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:50 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cjar
Here are a few options I think we can make work, depending on space behind the 951 valence and how much trimming everyone is willing to do.

Having a bottom/rear facing inlet on the passenger side and a top/side or top/rear facing outlet on the drivers side look like good options.

Custom from Bell: https://bellintercoolers.com/c-13885...iversal.html#!

Audi S2/RS2: https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...1001-tf-1.html

Audi TTRS Gen 1: https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...0001019-1.html

Audi current TTRS/RS3: https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...200001107.html

Custom Wagner: https://www.wagner-tuning.com/content/configurator

Craig
Craig, I think those TTRS intercoolers are too big to fit. *EDIT* Oh, I guess those are just shipping box dimensions. Looks like this current version TTRS / RS3 Wagner product is just about exactly what I'm looking for, except for the price tag.

I took some measurements on a stock 951 front end yesterday and I think I see what I’m going to do on my car. If I can find an intercooler with about a 26” x 7” x 3” core, and 2.5” inlet and outlet both rear facing and coming in and out of the lower portion of the core, that should work. It would look something like this one:

Last edited by vt951; 07-19-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:23 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't really mind spilling the beans on what the plan is but I have a lot of work ahead of me to make it happen. The next race is in November so I have time but that race includes a night race so at a minimum I have to get the headlights mounted. If I have time I would like to build a light pod as well.

Anyway, here's the plan. About a year back I got a great deal on some 968 fiberglass fenders and hood that are built to house 993 headlights. I picked up a used factory bumper and the 993 headlights from ebay. I'm finally getting around to putting it all on now. The hood bolts right up to the hinges so that is already on but I'm going to have to get creative on mounting the fenders, bumper, and headlights. I also have Broadfoot GT2 flares although I'm not sure they are going to work. I feel like the tire would crash into them if I hit a big rock or, down the line, land a jump hard. Flares aren't really a priority until I get to upgrading the suspension though and the track widens. Overall I think it's going to look pretty cool on a rally build! Especially with a light pod on the front of the hood.

Unfortunately there tends to be a lot of home improvement projects that get in the way of working on the car but I'll definitely post a pic once I get it all together!
If you end up thinking it won't work, please let me know! I would love some 993 lights on my 968!
Old 07-21-2019, 03:01 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Here are some updates:

As I mentioned a couple days ago, bellhousings are complete and powder coated. I am pulling together all the other parts that will be shipped with them. I just got the pilot bearing adapters yesterday, and need to inspect and test fit them to make sure they are correct. I should have the pilot bearings and hardware in a few days. I’m planning to ship them late next week. If you’ve put down a group buy deposit, but haven’t placed your order on boostbrothersgarage.com, we are finally ready to go.

Our first cast aluminum intake manifold is complete and on its way to me. Overall I’d say it looks pretty good for a prototype, but there are some things they need to fix before doing a production run. It’s been a long time coming, but we are getting close!
Here are some pics of the completed bellhousings that I picked up today:

Old 07-21-2019, 10:54 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Dang you still got those flares?! I can’t to see what you got in store for your car sounds awesome.. if you ever decide not to use the GT2 flares I’ll buy them back from you
Old 07-21-2019, 10:55 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Here are some pics of the completed bellhousings that I picked up today:

Wow those look fantastic!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:39 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Wow those look fantastic!
Thanks! Yeah I think they turned out pretty good. They are stout; I don’t think any flywheels will be making their way out of this bellhousing.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:58 AM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds cool! Maybe do a 959 Rothmans Dakar style livery with that 968 front end?
I'm definitely going to pull a lot of inspiration from that 959! The Lancia Rally 037 is probably my favorite of the Group B era cars so I'm going to pull a lot of inspiration from that too. I'm going to be starting my own software dev company soon, though, so I might have to come up with a livery for whatever I end up naming the company. I definitely want to keep it having a period correct vibe though.

Once I get through these house projects and can work on it again I'll start it's own build thread so we don't pollute this one.

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Dang you still got those flares?! I can’t to see what you got in store for your car sounds awesome.. if you ever decide not to use the GT2 flares I’ll buy them back from you
Ya I still have them! I'm hanging on to them for now until I figure out the suspension to see if they might work. If they aren't going to work you'll be the first to know!
Old 07-23-2019, 10:26 PM
Danny8774
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those bellhousings look great! Can't wait to get it in the shop
Old 07-26-2019, 02:32 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Got the fuel system done, as well as mounted and plumbed the Oil Cooler and Catch Can

Old 07-28-2019, 02:06 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

After considering a few cooling arrangements I am going to move my cooling package rearward a few inches and use a full size intercooler rather than a front mount. Front mount has a smaller area and more tricky plumbing. This will allow the intercooler to be the same area as the radiator which will be better for pressure drop and cooling. Moving the package back is no problem since we have so much more room with the 07k, and will allow much better ducting from under the bumper to the top of the cooling system. This will make a bottom/ side facing intercooler outlet face right at the drivers headlight opening.

Here is an option from Bell, $549 (core is 2.25x18x12.3, width is 25” to end tank max width):

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread