Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 03:25 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

All, I just realized the Stage 3 clutch was incorrectly priced at $725. It should have been $675. Everyone that ordered the S3 will be getting a $50 refund, and those who ordered the Stage 2 ($695) will be getting the option of a $20 refund and upgrading to the S3. Sorry!
Old 04-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious as to which flywheel you guys are leaning towards and for what application.

My car's going to be 95% street driven, occasional stop & go traffic but largely just for weekend trips.I'm targeting somewhere around the high 400's low 500hp range in terms of power.

I'm considering the stage 3+ clutch and aluminum flywheel, think that'll be ok for street use? Have not had any real exposure to race clutches or lightened flywheels, so not sure how exactly what differences to expect.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-11-2019, 12:28 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Taymar
Curious as to which flywheel you guys are leaning towards and for what application.

My car's going to be 95% street driven, occasional stop & go traffic but largely just for weekend trips.I'm targeting somewhere around the high 400's low 500hp range in terms of power.

I'm considering the stage 3+ clutch and aluminum flywheel, think that'll be ok for street use? Have not had any real exposure to race clutches or lightened flywheels, so not sure how exactly what differences to expect.

Thanks for any advice!
The light flywheel allows you to rev the engine faster, but it also comes down faster, so down shifting will take some getting used to, but that's it really for light weight. I'm going with a stage 2, because I don't plan on going on any tracks any time soon, but I do drive rather aggressively at times, and appreciate a little extra grip without compromising the ability to stop & go. That being said, I don't plan on having anything above 300 for a while.

Check out the Boost bro's garage site, they outlined all the clutch options and the recommended use for each per rated torque.

Edit: Correction, the engine will accelerate in revolutions per minute at a faster rate with a lighter flywheel, it won't rev to a higher number; that's determined by the limiter.

Last edited by senior_squishy; 04-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:05 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Aaron, sorry I forgot to get back to you on your clutch questions. I think Stage 3+ sounds like the best choice for your power and intended usage.

As for aluminum vs steel flywheel, in my opinion, since this clutch and flywheel are a larger diameter than the factory 07k pieces, if you go with steel flywheel it might increase the rotational inertia vs stock. And with a small displacement engine like this, that might make low gear acceleration feel a little more sluggish until you get on boost. Particularly if you go the route of swapping in rods and pistons that result in a lower compression ratio (which may be needed in order to reliably run at 500 hp). So, for the street, I think the aluminum flywheel will be more fun to drive with.

On track, I doubt steel vs aluminum will make a big difference in acceleration, since you should almost always be at higher revs and on boost. However, I think the aluminum flywheel will make it easier to quickly blip the throttle when you downshift. So, for track, I’d recommend aluminum as well.

Originally Posted by Taymar

Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect, thanks a ton for the advice guys. Sounds like aluminum is going to be the best fit for me then.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:32 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Mike shows how to fit the Gallardo header. I can't believe how well that thing fits!

Old 04-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, since there are not but a few Lambo headers laying about in junkyards, what more available and affordable header may be suitable?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

the SPA manifold is good, the stock 07k manifold can be reworked...or maybe you could commission some exhaust fab place to duplicate the Lambo piece...just thinking out loud.
believe burns stainless even makes a 5-1 collector piece.

...or maybe a Volvo I-5 unit could be workable as the bore spacing is close...91mm vs 88mm for 07k. chop and bend a little...
Old 04-14-2019, 12:25 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash01
Well, since there are not but a few Lambo headers laying about in junkyards, what more available and affordable header may be suitable?
I got mine from eBay, where multiple were listed. I paid $375 shipped. I thought that was pretty reasonable for a tubular header!
Old 04-14-2019, 04:17 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Default Updates

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give you a few updates:

1. For those who ordered the second round of Base Kits, I have most of the parts in (just waiting on a few more items from iAbed). I hope to have everything within a few days, and ship out the kits later this week.

2. Thanks to all who pre-ordered bellhousings! That's a huge help for me to put up the necessary funds to get everything machined and fabricated. All of the sheet metal pieces are made, and the CNC machined parts are in process.

3. The prototype cast intake manifold is still in process. I sent the supplier detailed drawings with machining tolerances last week. Once I get a detailed update from them, I'll post here.

4. I made a good dent in the oil pan design. I think I have everything pretty well figured out for the modifications to the cast part. It is relatively simple from a fabrication standpoint (just a few sheet metal pieces to weld onto the casting). The hard part is going to be getting the casting CNC machined just right so the sheet metal parts fit. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the sheet metal pieces made asap, and then start working with one of my machine shops on getting the programming set up.

5. Next up is to design the bottom portion of the oil pan, and the pickup tube modifications. I *think* it may be possible to offer two options for the bolt on sump pan... 1. a traditional road race style wet sump. and 2. a dry sump plate that ties into the 07K oil pump. We will be looking into various options for scavenge pumps and oil tanks. I'm pretty excited about this possibility...

Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got back from my little vacation down at Tail of the Dragon . I`ll get my bellhousing money in ASAP .
Old 04-14-2019, 10:17 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dash01
Here's the SPA Turbo exhaust manifold. Very reasonably priced, and the quality is very good. It fits the 944 engine bay really well, especially with a Garrett reverse rotation turbo.

https://spaturbousa.com/products/spa...-engines-tmw17
Old 04-14-2019, 11:02 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Alan that pan design looks awesome! For the deep side, is that a section view, or are all the webbing and fins inside the stock 07K pan being machined out?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:42 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Alan that pan design looks awesome! For the deep side, is that a section view, or are all the webbing and fins inside the stock 07K pan being machined out?
Thanks! The webbing will be left intact in the deep end (I just haven’t taken the time to solid model it yet). It will be machined away in the shallow/front end. But, I was able to leave the windage tray untouched in the shallow end, which I was really hoping for.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:10 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by vt951
Thanks! The webbing will be left intact in the deep end (I just haven’t taken the time to solid model it yet). It will be machined away in the shallow/front end. But, I was able to leave the windage tray untouched in the shallow end, which I was really hoping for.
I honestly don't blame you, my model wasn't near as accurate as yours and the webbing took forever! What all do you think will be needed to be done to the pickup? Think we'll be able to utilize the stock mounting point?

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread