Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My porsche 944 S2 16 valve turbo project

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I removed what I first posted about turbo sizing, as I realised Tim's turbo is larger than I first thought.

I'd be interested to know the actual intake air temperature at the end of the run, as I think the choking point of the compressor may not be far.

But anyway, even if the curves might end up slightly different on a car dyno, that thing is sure going to be crazy fast
Old 12-13-2013, 06:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

"Yes, also aware of his being an 8V, thus my interest if the head being so much better allows this large increase in "safe" boost. As Dike mentioned like to see the numbers when installed into the car and on a chassis dyno. Good point on the turbo sizing."

I think you'll find that's spelled 'Dyke' Eric...lol

Also looking forward to the real world results but so far, so good. Congrats Tim.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Thom
Race Car

Dosey Dyke, spiritual successor of Daisy Duke.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:14 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Patrick, edited now.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Tom M'Guinn runs an 8V, so the comparison isn't exactly fair.

The way I see it is that it may be preferable when using a large turbo to increase power by playing with ignition timing rather than with boost (*), while with a smaller, fast spooling turbo like seems to be the case here (61 inducer is way smaller than most folks use for a 3.0L engine), maximising power by increasing boost makes more sense than pushing the ignition profile.

With that kind of power on such a "small" compressor I'm curious how close to the choking point of the compressor Tim got.

(*) which means the rest of the engine will have gone the required mods (intake, exhaust) to make it breathe so that the large compressor flows as much as it can.
I agree - comparing the 8v with 16v is apples and oranges. It's more relevant to compare a 16v engine with another 16v four cylinder engine than comparing it with the 8v. The head and cams are just so totally different.

The 16v doesn't need as much ignition advance either so comparing ignition tables isn't of much use either.

Given the turbo is still within its effeciency zone more boost will aways trump more ignition advance. All IMHO of course

In fact boost is favoured over ignition advance for reliability reasons by car manufacturers. The 944 community have a much higher than reasonable fear of boost levels. Take the 991 turbo for instance. It has a boost level of 1.2 bar from the factory with a 0.15 bar overboost. Factory! Sure it has direct injection which enables a bit higher boost but still. You can be certain that the factory would use higher advance with lower boost if they thought it to be a safer approach.

The 997 Mk1 Turbo have non direct injection and the stock boost is 1.0 bar with a 0.2 bar overboost.
These cars usually run about 1.4 bar of boost with a simple remap. So to conclude... there is no reason for 944 community to be so scared of boost on a built and tuned engine. Boost by itself won't blow headgaskets.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:26 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I was just reading an article on a new AMG turbo 4 Merc that is running 26 psi factory! Pretty sweet car actually, I forgot what the model was.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duke
In fact boost is favoured over ignition advance for reliability reasons by car manufacturers
Yes, which goes in line with generally undersized turbos and engine making way more torque than power on modern engines.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Yes, which goes in line with generally undersized turbos and engine making way more torque than power on modern engines.
Sure, but the point is that boost wins over ignition advance when it comes to making more power AND it's not as "dangerous" as the average 944 owner thinks.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:47 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Tim's block is sleeved. I expect when it's installed the downpipe, intercooler and heat will knock power back some, he may only have 500-550 bhp then .
Old 12-13-2013, 01:48 PM
turbotim3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by refresh951
Unbelievable curve! Great results! Curious about timing during boost ramp. The spool-up is the best I have ever seen. Are you measuring EGT?

Also, did you design the intake (short runners) around optimizing a particular torque?
yes we measured egt and it was between 750 and 800 degree C on WOT

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
what intercooler is being used on this dyno?
if its an air-water type the air going into the engine could very well be near ambient temperatures even at those boost levels.
It is an air-water cooler on the dyno and air charge temps are controlled to 40 degrees C to replicate in car figures for optimum accuracy.
The air temp on the dyno sheet is not air charge but cell air temp.

Originally Posted by Chris White
That's what I figured.
It also looks like somebody either opened that door or turned on a fan at 6krpm. Sudden barometric pressure drop and temp drop. Either that or there is something hooked up with the sensors that disturbs the sensor grounds.
As i said earlier in the thread, the differences in baro and air temp was because the screamer pipe exhaust system blew slightly so i had to repair it and pull the engine the next day.
The dyno runs a correction system to correct any discrepencies in baro, air temp etc etc so i have no worries in the engine repeating itself any pull on any day.

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Yes, I was aware of this, but still never seen 26 psi, especially on brand new build, no break in at all mentioned, block not sleeved, engine out of car on dyno, so I would also assume no knock monitoring, unless he has that fancy headphone and stethoscope setup.

Tom runs 100 octane 100% of the time, but never remember him mention more than 22psi ever, he has all kinds of knock monitoring enabled and still has some events at 20, with what I am sure is one of the better tuned engines around. I will be very curious as to the longevity of this build. I have been collecting parts for some time now. Going to attempt one of these as well. Tim appears to be pushing the limits, but I am all ears, very interesting. One of the best charts I have ever seen.
The engine has been on the dyno for a number of days and is well and truely run in.
The block has also been linered and knock systems are used at all times.
I run knock control in my pectel ecu and also have a electronic knock detection earphones on myself.
We were more than happy to run this boost, we map engines from 32-42 psi on a daily basis on the cosworth yb, so using our knowledge from those into a very similar design 944 16v we know we are still on the safe side.

Originally Posted by Duke
The results are great and a very nice accomplishment but you cannot compare the curve or spool of a static engine dyno run with a dynamic dyno run.
If you lock rpms long enough at each 500 rpm steps at 100% throttle you can get a huge turbo to spool very low down in the rpm range.

This is not to take anything away from Tim's work, absolutely not. But apples needs to be compared with apples and oranges with oranges
This is correct, we generally loose 2-300 rpm of spool from a static load test to a run through test.
i plan to run my car on the rolling road when its complete so will post my findings.
i also have a very agrestive anti lag system so i dont think ill be worried about when the boost comes in, but what happens when it is in.

Originally Posted by blade7
Tim's block is sleeved. I expect when it's installed the downpipe, intercooler and heat will knock power back some, he may only have 500-550 bhp then .
I expect to loose very minmal amounts.
i will be using the latest in garret bar and plate intercooler cores so charge temps will be under control.
heat shouldnt be an issue with ceramic coated system and the downpipe size is as used on the dyno then into a more than capable 2 x 2.5" system.
The ecu will look after my water injection system should my intercooler not cope if it was very hot! (note water injection not water spray..)
my only losses should be alternator and power steering which we in testing find to loose 2-4bhp.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotim3
yes we measured egt and it was between 750 and 800 degree C on WOT

It is an air-water cooler on the dyno and air charge temps are controlled to 40 degrees C to replicate in car figures for optimum accuracy.
The air temp on the dyno sheet is not air charge but cell air temp.

As i said earlier in the thread, the differences in baro and air temp was because the screamer pipe exhaust system blew slightly so i had to repair it and pull the engine the next day.
The dyno runs a correction system to correct any discrepencies in baro, air temp etc etc so i have no worries in the engine repeating itself any pull on any day.

The engine has been on the dyno for a number of days and is well and truely run in.
The block has also been linered and knock systems are used at all times.
I run knock control in my pectel ecu and also have a electronic knock detection earphones on myself.
We were more than happy to run this boost, we map engines from 32-42 psi on a daily basis on the cosworth yb, so using our knowledge from those into a very similar design 944 16v we know we are still on the safe side.

This is correct, we generally loose 2-300 rpm of spool from a static load test to a run through test.
i plan to run my car on the rolling road when its complete so will post my findings.
i also have a very agrestive anti lag system so i dont think ill be worried about when the boost comes in, but what happens when it is in.

I expect to loose very minmal amounts.
i will be using the latest in garret bar and plate intercooler cores so charge temps will be under control.
heat shouldnt be an issue with ceramic coated system and the downpipe size is as used on the dyno then into a more than capable 2 x 2.5" system.
The ecu will look after my water injection system should my intercooler not cope if it was very hot! (note water injection not water spray..)
my only losses should be alternator and power steering which we in testing find to loose 2-4bhp.
sounds like youve got a pretty good lid on things. nice work.

...so how much for a duplicate?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:21 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
...so how much for a duplicate?
Soon odurandina will come and tell that you could have 4x V8 swap for the amount of cash one would spend on turbotims engine
Old 12-16-2013, 04:46 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-22-2013, 01:58 PM
turbotim3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Over the weekend, I have cleaned under the bonnet, touch up any paintwork and then sat the engine. I've got one or two alterations to make, but nothing to tricky.

Name:  DSC00189_zpsde433495.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  DSC00190_zps07d2c47b.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  133.4 KB

Name:  DSC00191_zps09d6193e.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  DSC00192_zps999bd1a2.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  108.4 KB