Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My porsche 944 S2 16 valve turbo project

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If I understand correctly the design of the S4/GTS intake manifold, the flap closes as vacuum decreases to simulate shorter runners by reducing the resonance effect through two separated plenums?
In twin plenum mode the runners still look excessively long to me to provide "enough" ram effect past 5k rpm.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:15 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
If I understand correctly the design of the S4/GTS intake manifold, the flap closes as vacuum decreases to simulate shorter runners by reducing the resonance effect through two separated plenums?
In twin plenum mode the runners still look excessively long to me to provide "enough" ram effect past 5k rpm.
Not to go off topic on this thread, here are two threads on the 928 S4/GT/GTS intake manifold:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...and-ideas.html

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35634

On this thread, I'd love to hear more from Turbo Tim how he created that "blonde's brainwave" torque curve.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ptuomov
Congratulations for a fantastic road motor you've built here.

Here's a question: How did you get the naturally aspirated torque curve to be that flat? The motor seems to be making between 12 and 13 ft-lbs per psi of absolute pressure in the entire 2500-7000 rev range. Without a turbo, that would be something like 175-195 ft-lbs for the entire 2500-7000 rpm range. That's remarkable. In my turbo project (it's 928 S4), when I want the torque curve to be flat, I need to vary the boost all over the place to compensate for the variation in the naturally aspirated torque curve.
Part of the reason is probably the engine dyno. E.g if you do a static test you can reach full boost in a rpm zone you would need a 8th gear to do on the street
Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Duke
Part of the reason is probably the engine dyno. E.g if you do a static test you can reach full boost in a rpm zone you would need a 8th gear to do on the street
Valid point. However, my car is right now on an eddy current dyno with Klam retarders and we can have it cycle thru all the load cells on the fuel map at whatever speed until the retarders overheat. The torque curve still doesn't look like a flat line. I don't think it's just loading up the turbos.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Thom
Race Car

Not to go off topic on this thread, here are two threads on the 928 S4/GT/GTS intake manifold:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...and-ideas.html

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35634
It seems to me this far that the stock S4/GT/GTS intake is a particularly complex part that, coupled with the remarkably restrictive cams, was designed to provide the widest possible torque band while maximising fuel efficiency over peak power... in a similar way to the 944T design. I can relate to the interest in understanding how the stock set up works but if I were to make a parallel with how things go with the typical highly-strung 944T engine, I see many more drawbacks to advantages with the stock intake/cam combination.
In your shoes I would simplify the intake and make something similar to the Cayenne intake, try much sharper cams and size down your turbine wheels. This is a good way to flatten the torque band and relieve the engine from working against the high rpm restriction caused by the stock intake+cams combination.
How much back pressure are you seeing with your GT35 turbines?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:24 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

It seems to me this far that the stock S4/GT/GTS intake is a particularly complex part that, coupled with the remarkably restrictive cams, was designed to provide the widest possible torque band while maximising fuel efficiency over peak power... in a similar way to the 944T design. I can relate to the interest in understanding how the stock set up works but if I were to make a parallel with how things go with the typical highly-strung 944T engine, I see many more drawbacks to advantages with the stock intake/cam combination. In your shoes I would simplify the intake and make something similar to the Cayenne intake, try much sharper cams and size down your turbine wheels. This is a good way to flatten the torque band and relieve the engine from working against the high rpm restriction caused by the stock intake+cams combination. How much back pressure are you seeing with your GT35 turbines?
The S4 fuel maps run too rich at WOT and high rpms, so I don't think they cared about fuel efficiency there. At cruise loads and rpms, emissions and fuel efficiency were obviously a concern. Yes, I do own some better camshafts and will try those down the road - it's just that my project is moving at a snail's pace over Marco Polo's distance. It's fun though, and car's already very fast. I don't want to pollute this thread with my stuff, if someone is interested in commenting here's the right thread for that: https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...e-streets.html

You write that the S4 intake manifold "...was designed to provide the widest possible torque band while maximising fuel efficiency over peak power... in a similar way to the 944T design." But if the 928 S4 and 944T intake manifold were designed to give the broadest possible torque band, isn't it a remarkable accomplishment that TurboTim has been able to create a manifold that has a significantly broader and flatter normally aspirated torque curve?

I really think that TurboTim's manifold is fantastic and I would like to very much know the plenum volume and runner lengths. I likely can't ever recreate that manifold on a V8 because of the firing order and distance between banks (can't cross the valley without longer runners), but I'd still like to know those dimensions to try to understand how he did it. What might be going on that there are two manifold torque peaks, one on each side of the camshaft torque peak, resulting in this perfectly flat line. But that's just speculation.

Which cams is TurboTim's build using? I assume something like stock 3.0 16V N/A cams, right? Don't recall anything on that in this thread, except they are reprofiled.

Would these be the 3.0 16V N/A valve events?
Intake opens @1mm 3° after TDC
Intake closes @1mm 47° after BDC
Exhaust opens @1mm 39° before BDC
Exhaust closes @1mm 7° before TDC

I programmed the 944 S2 to a cheap simulator this morning, and all I get form going from assumed stock 15" runners to 4" runners is the torque peak moving up from 4000-4250 rpm to 5000-5250 rpm. But that proves nothing, especially since I had to assume a lot about the stock manifold and Turbo Tim's manifold and used stock S2 cams.

Last edited by ptuomov; 04-13-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Thom
Race Car

I suppose stock engines will always run a bit rich under full loads with the OEM mapping, to maximise reliability. Stock Mitsubishi EVOs run pig rich on full load.

The intake manifold is a recurring hot topic on here, and if you look at most 4 modern cylinder turbocharged engines they all feature "short" runners intakes.
Whether all units available as "upgrades" on the aftermarket were thoroughly engineered remains to be proven, but as far as I have seen long runners replacement intakes are non-existent. Some may rightfully argue that the 944T 2V head is an old design that may not work best with excessively short runners, but a few have shown otherwise, if a lot of work is needed to see those gains. On the much better 4V head it is IMO a non-brainer.

Tim mentioned earlier he used an aftermarket Supra MkIV intake plenum that he welded to 944 S2 runner flange cut from a stock 944 S2 intake manifold.

If you look at Lindsey Racing's intake for the 8V 944T head it uses a similar runner length, Refresh951's too.

The (basic) calculations on this page allowed me to get a good picture on how runner length works with pulsations. They correlate pretty well with I have exerience between the stock 944T intake and a short runner aftermarket unit in terms of moving the ram effect through the RPM band.

ETA : here is a custom intake we did for an E39 M5. Shorter runners than on a 928 intake. 500hp and 540 ft.lbs at 7psi of boost / no real problem with lack of low down torque.

Last edited by Thom; 04-13-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

The intake manifold is a recurring hot topic on here, and if you look at most 4 modern cylinder turbocharged engines they all feature "short" runners intakes.

Whether all units available as "upgrades" on the aftermarket were thoroughly engineered remains to be proven, but as far as I have seen long runners replacement intakes are non-existent. Some may rightfully argue that the 944T 2V head is an old design that may not work best with excessively short runners, but a few have shown otherwise, if a lot of work is needed to see those gains. On the much better 4V head it is IMO a non-brainer.

Tim mentioned earlier he used an aftermarket Supra MkIV intake plenum that he welded to 944 S2 runner flange cut from a stock 944 S2 intake manifold.

If you look at Lindsey Racing's intake for the 8V 944T head it uses a similar runner length, Refresh951's too.

The (basic) calculations on this page allowed me to get a good picture on how runner length works with pulsations. They correlate pretty well with I have exerience between the stock 944T intake and a short runner aftermarket unit in terms of moving the ram effect through the RPM band.
I have no doubt in my mind that "not all upgrades on the aftermarket were thoroughly engineered!" ;-)

However, Turbo Tim's intake manifold and turbo selection are nothing short of amazing. The flattest NA torque curve I've ever seen, full boost for 3500-7000, and a flat-line boosted torque curve without RPM specific boost profile.

I've been trying to correlate simple formulas with results, and I have grown skeptical of any simple formulas that can be implemented in an Excel spreadsheet. I did the two chamber, two pipe Helmholtz resonator model, and it's not very predictive of reality. The reality is a combination of something like a finite wave with the valve open, something like an acoustic wave with valve open, and something completely different during the overlap. I don't think any spreadsheet is going to get you closer than the bread ballpark.

One thing that I am kind of interested in whether you see these short-runner manifold engines respond to the plenum volume or not. If not, that would simplify the problem a bit.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Here's the flattest curve we've been able to run with a constant boost profile and with the stock intake manifold with the 2x944 engine:

https://rennlist.com/forums/11315969-post814.html

Not making much more than Turbo Tim yet, despite 40% more displacement, and the torque curve is not as flat. I hope we get there one day...

Sorry for the hijack, I'd really like to hear more from Turbo Tim how he got that flat torque curve and what the intake manifold dimensions are.

Last edited by ptuomov; 04-26-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:08 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow impressive.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:37 PM
turbotim3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm getting there slowly. She's finally up and running and hopefully up the road at the weekend. Hoping for some dry weather.

Cheers Tim
Old 05-18-2014, 02:10 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by turbotim3
Well I'm getting there slowly. She's finally up and running and hopefully up the road at the weekend. Hoping for some dry weather. Cheers Tim
Any updates?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:54 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Any updates, especially on the manifold? What runner length, runner diameter, runner taper, and plenum volume?
Old 06-01-2014, 05:31 PM
turbotim3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates, especially on the manifold? What runner length, runner diameter, runner taper, and plenum volume?

Sorry but I've been having problems with mounting a centre push clutch slave cylinder. Should be sorted shortly.
As for the manifold, I haven't got any measurements. As I mentioned in the thread it was made to fit the engine bay, to clear the bonnet and turbo. it does work well though.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:08 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, awesome build. Keen to see where this goes.

Quick Reply: My porsche 944 S2 16 valve turbo project