Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Eddie: Thanks a million for the pictures and what a sight to behold!!!

I now see where Mike is planning on mounting the tree, and think that will be acceptable. I had forgotten where that hoist lift eyelet was installed.

Paul: I think it will work as is, but my hands are tied, as I am not there and don't have access to the car. If I can ever get settled, I can play around with this more. However, looking at Eddie's pictures, I can see why the bracket might be hitting. Our turbos might be larger as well, I am not sure about which turbo Eddie is using. There is not much room in there, that is for sure.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Your welcome
I have a Garrett TO4E
Vitesse old Stage II .... quick spool....
sample picture ( not mine ) of the size difference of old vs new
Regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I am not sure if mine is bigger than that or not. It is based on a LR Super 65, but with a Garrett DBB center section. I know it has a 3" inlet, so I would think it has similar proportions.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Any updates? Did LR get the kinks worked out with the design?

I bought my TO4E used, guy who I bought it from made a custom piece here and was nice enough to include it with the turbo... and I found a month or so ago that it's leaking. I've had it out twice now attempting to fix it (I was positive I found the source of the leak) but have so far been unsuccessful, so the leak must be somewhere else on the fitting (cracked and I don't see the crack maybe?) Next step is to make my own... or buy something trick looking like this. Trying to avoid removing the intake manifold to fab something up, so having something pre-engineered is appealing at this point.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Any updates? Did LR get the kinks worked out with the design?

I bought my TO4E used, guy who I bought it from made a custom piece here and was nice enough to include it with the turbo... and I found a month or so ago that it's leaking. I've had it out twice now attempting to fix it (I was positive I found the source of the leak) but have so far been unsuccessful, so the leak must be somewhere else on the fitting (cracked and I don't see the crack maybe?) Next step is to make my own... or buy something trick looking like this. Trying to avoid removing the intake manifold to fab something up, so having something pre-engineered is appealing at this point.
When I made the custom H2O pipe pictured earlier. I had a leak issue as well after I thought it was all done ...
Did you check to see if the face of the mating surface on the banjo bolt connection ( where the crush rings are placed ) is completely flush ?
I had to wet sand using a wet stone that surface after soldering ... The face just distorted slightly
You may want to look at that ...
Regards
Ed
Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
When I made the custom H2O pipe pictured earlier. I had a leak issue as well after I thought it was all done ...
Did you check to see if the face of the mating surface on the banjo bolt connection ( where the crush rings are placed ) is completely flush ?
I had to wet sand using a wet stone that surface after soldering ... The face just distorted slightly
You may want to look at that ...
Regards
Ed
Pardon me for borrowing one of your photos.... See attached.

It's not leaking where you suggest. It's the fitting itself... somewhere above. If I run the car (or pressurize the coolant system) I get a small puddle of coolant forming at #1. (Tough to describe, my banjo fitting is more "square" and as such there is a little "shelf" where coolant can puddle).

I suspected a leak at #2... I can feel the pipe between #1 and #2 is wet when I pressurize it, and the first time I took it apart, I could see a little bit of corrosion right at the junction. Looked like it was leaking there... so I used plumbing solder to fill in the joint on both sides of the fitting (both inside and outside). It made no difference... so this time, I epoxied the entire pipe between #1 and #2 in the picture (Belzona 1111). It's still leaking. :/
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Pardon me for borrowing one of your photos.... See attached.

It's not leaking where you suggest. It's the fitting itself... somewhere above. If I run the car (or pressurize the coolant system) I get a small puddle of coolant forming at #1. (Tough to describe, my banjo fitting is more "square" and as such there is a little "shelf" where coolant can puddle).

I suspected a leak at #2... I can feel the pipe between #1 and #2 is wet when I pressurize it, and the first time I took it apart, I could see a little bit of corrosion right at the junction. Looked like it was leaking there... so I used plumbing solder to fill in the joint on both sides of the fitting (both inside and outside). It made no difference... so this time, I epoxied the entire pipe between #1 and #2 in the picture (Belzona 1111). It's still leaking. :/
Good picture to use ...
Should have thought of that ... If you see the two different water pipes in the picture( where #2 is ) you can clearly see there is a big difference on how flat or square that the two sealing surface are ... It's that surface that I flattened on the modified pipe with a wet stone and mine stopped leaking ... Maybe you could wrap the pipe in a blue shop towel and use a pressure tester .. and see where the leak first emanates from ????
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Jim:

Yes & No would be the best answer I can provide you at this point. I am very frustrated with my car situation at the moment. I don't want to vent here though. The latest report I received is that yes the water tree is installed but not the way Paul and I intended it to be installed. However, when I asked for pictures of the current setup I received none.
I do know they bought smaller adapters and used -6AN versus -8AN for more hose flexibility. I have no issues with this. Paul is still using his and has never had an issue as far as I know. If you want to try one and post the results I will send you one. I have a very good time over here, but really wish at times I was home so I could work on my cars. I can accomplish more in a weekend than these supposedly good specialty shops can complete in a month or more. Send me a PM with details and I will have my mom go over to my house and send you one.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine works, no issues

Id still like to see what LR did with it though.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

You are not the only one! Biting my tongue.

Last edited by URG8RB8; 06-25-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:46 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I received some pictures last night so I thought I would post them. Unfortunately for me, these pictures shed some light onto just how much more there is to complete and how little has been done recently. I am not thrilled about the progress, but at least some work has been completed. The normal engine hoist "eye" loop will be replaced with a mounting bracket for the water tree. The tree will be drilled and tapped for two mounting bolts. Again, this is overkill IMHO, but will be secure and will most likely reduce the possibility to leaks. I have sent a tree to Jim aka "Omni". Hopefully, he can quickly install in the originally designed orientation and can comment on whether or not he has any fitment issues. More to come...

Yes, Eddie I see the turbo water pump and bracket, along with the unpolished intake pipe, which was polished, so I am assuming something had to change, not sure what.
Now that I look at it might have to buy another Nissan alternator and have the housing polished or chromed as well.
Attached Images    
Old 06-29-2013, 06:24 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I received some pictures last night so I thought I would post them. Unfortunately for me, these pictures shed some light onto just how much more there is to complete and how little has been done recently. I am not thrilled about the progress, but at least some work has been completed. The normal engine hoist "eye" loop will be replaced with a mounting bracket for the water tree. The tree will be drilled and tapped for two mounting bolts. Again, this is overkill IMHO, but will be secure and will most likely reduce the possibility to leaks. I have sent a tree to Jim aka "Omni". Hopefully, he can quickly install in the originally designed orientation and can comment on whether or not he has any fitment issues. More to come...

Yes, Eddie I see the turbo water pump and bracket, along with the unpolished intake pipe, which was polished, so I am assuming something had to change, not sure what.
Now that I look at it might have to buy another Nissan alternator and have the housing polished or chromed as well.
Hi Eric
Hope all is well
It seems they are mounting the tree remotely moving it away from the congestion of the turbo and that also allows you to use the intake bracket

Regards
Ed
Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Eddie:

Yes, with this remote location you can use the intake bracket, but since I no longer have the stock intake really doesn't matter now. However it will for others. Also noticed the head light bar. Going to have to pull a lot of stuff and send to the platers when and if I ever get home. Stuck down in Penang, Malaysia now. Hope to be done soon.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Eddie:

Yes, with this remote location you can use the intake bracket, but since I no longer have the stock intake really doesn't matter now. However it will for others. Also noticed the head light bar. Going to have to pull a lot of stuff and send to the platers when and if I ever get home. Stuck down in Penang, Malaysia now. Hope to be done soon.
Aahh... yes I saw that intake under the rag ....
That headlight bar was a real PITA.... There are so many parts ..
Make sure you keep detailed records on it, when you disassemble it. (especially the washers and spacers )
Best regards
Ed
Old 06-29-2013, 06:23 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Got it today. If I get time this weekend I'll pull the intake manifold and start measuring for fittings. Gotta make sure I have manifold gaskets in stock....

Quick Reply: CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade