Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Paul:

I can't figure it out myself. The only thing I can think of is that somewhere in the process, a tap broke and somebody replaced the tap in the CNC spindle with the incorrect pitch. The good news is that at least two are still good and possibly more. I sent all the remaining pieces to Jim. He is going a different route, but maybe since I all ready had my mom ship them, he can check to make sure the rest are M14X1.5. At least I will have one to ship to LR for my ongoing nightmare. The machine shop told me today they will replace all that are incorrect for free, so I am good to go there. Unfortunately, that won't happen before Friday and I am unclear when I will be back here. I can always have them ship them to me. It was actually not that expensive. I FedEx'ed quite a few parts I had made up to LR and it only cost me $50 dollars for 3 day air. I thought that was very reasonable for a 15 pound package sent half way around the world. I spent nearly that amount via snail mail to you and that is a short hop. I learned a big lesson there!

PS: For sure they used a tap and didn't turn the threads. The tap is loaded into a collet and the machine automatically picks it up out of a rotating spindle, depending on what is needed at the time.

Last edited by URG8RB8; 07-09-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: forgot to answer question
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have thought they used a tap also.

Maybe you're right. it could have broken.. But when does a tap break in Aluminium? only thing is to see what actually fits inside it?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok I haven't had time to run to the store to try out various bolts (I don't get home until 8:00 or so, usually) but I did try a couple "knowns" I had kicking around and ya know what threads in nicely?

A 1/4" NPT fitting I had kicking around.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Jim:

Please let me know if you received the additional parts. Thanks!

I heard back from Jim, all the others are correct, go figure! At least I have one to send to LR soon.

Last edited by URG8RB8; 07-13-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I would like to provide a brief update to this since I received quite a few questions about how a machine shop could screw up a couple of the parts in a lot of ten. I too wondered how this could happen. To make a long story short, they didn't. I received the parts back from Jim last week in Cali. I flew them back home to Florida with me on Saturday. I did not have a M14X1.5 tap here in Florida but did have a thread pitch gauge and calipers. I was scratching my head when the pitch and through hole size was correct. I just went to Napa and bought a tap for $6.50, because I could not find a M14X1.5 bolt. I was able to screw the tap in by hand. It caught a couple times on some small burrs or something, but other than that I see nothing. I have now ran the tap through all of them and some are slightly tighter than others, but no issues. I will ask LR to run a tap through mine as well to see if that one is truly screwed up or just has a burr.
Attached Images   

Last edited by URG8RB8; 07-23-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Hmm, probably when tapping the other holes, the thread could have gotten caught on the sensors thread. This always happens when screw cutting or just cutting off an end of a thread on a bolt. Just needs to be loosened up.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Well glad to hear it seems like you can just clean up the threads.

As you can see from the pics I posted earlier, I couldn't get either the AN fitting or the OE sensor to thread in more than a thread or two. Once you run the tap through it I'd recommend making sure you can get the sensor threaded all the way in before you ship it to somebody I couldn't see anything wrong with my eyes, and walked a small dental pick down through the threads and didn't feel anything... but that doesn't mean there wasn't a burr or something.

Funny that both LR and I got the two with burrs and the others are A-ok though. What are the odds?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Yes, my bad. Learned a big lesson here, never assume anything, especially when half way around the world.

Paul:

I think you are correct about the M16 threads cutting into the M14 sensor threads. If I had it to do over again, I would not ask for maximum full thread contact either. I thought it might assist in sealing but it makes threading the adaptors in very tight. I failed to specify chasing the threads after completion as well. Live and learn. At least they were salvageable.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

7 pages when all is needed is to cut the housing for the sensor and link it to std coolant hoses with clamps. Some of you like to overcomplicate things sometimes, IMHO.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
7 pages when all is needed is to cut the housing for the sensor and link it to std coolant hoses with clamps. Some of you like to overcomplicate things sometimes, IMHO.
I did that, Kept leaking. That's what got me to design one that has proper fittings.

Thom, if I had a CNC Mill or a 5 axis. I'd be machining every part on my engine that has been customised to work with my setup. But in australia, there's a small market for smaller manufactured parts.
Parts from Water adaptors, turbo mounts, fly wheels, trigger wheels, throttle bodies, flanges..ect..
Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd thats rennlist
Old 07-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I solved all these issues by removing the turbo water cooling.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
I solved all these issues by removing the turbo water cooling.
Not on a dual ballbearing turbo. good way to kill the bearings.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Not on a dual ballbearing turbo. good way to kill the bearings.
Yeah on a dual ball bearing turbo. 20K miles to date. I've put dozens on 930's over the years as well. No different.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:40 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I am sure the engineers at Garrett just put the water cooling feature on the turbo to frustrate people who like to do things the easy way.

Quick Reply: CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade