Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade

One of the biggest issues when installing a new DBB turbo is the water line connections. With alot of help from Paulyy I was able to have some adaptors fabricated in Thailand before coming home. These are based on his original design and are just fluffed up a bit. They are CNC machined out of solid aluminum. I then had them sent out for anodizing. They have three M16 X 1.5 ports and one M14 X 1.5 port for the original water temp sensor. For proper sealing the straight thread adaptors will require aluminum/copper crush rings prior to installation. Note: These are not shown in the attached pictures. My turbo has M14 X 1.5 female water ports, so will require two additional M14 X 1.5 to -8AN adaptors. The water tree itself will require three M16 X 1.5 to -8AN adaptors and one -8 AN 90 degree female union elbow. I am not certain if every center section is the same, so make sure to measure your thread pattern prior to ordering adaptors, if you should go this route. All -AN adaptors can be ordered through Summit Racing for a reasonable price and free shipping. They don't carry the proper crush rings or at least I could not locate them. However, they can be found here: Crush Ring/Washer Link

Unfortunately, the two prototypes (sent via Thaipost Airmail, Ughh) I sent to Paul never made it to him in Australia, not sure how they got lost, but appearantly they were. My fault for cheaping out and not using FedEx. I have the remaining eight pieces with me now and will send one off to LR to be test fitted on my car. I am hoping there will be no issues, but you never know. I will report back once test fitted.
Attached Images       

Last edited by URG8RB8; 03-03-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll just like to add that you can buy M14x1.5 fittings with push on fittings to your requirement to fit onto the stock expansion tank and the water cross over tube. Or you can go straight to the water pump with a long hose... That's the beauty of it.

P.S Eric, I called up today and he said it should be here today after i gave him the tracking number. I think the local post offices are just slow or there's a lot of mail as it was sent as air mail. Lesson learnt, only use UPS & FedEx. don't use USPS (usa) to ship to Australia.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paulyy
P.S Eric, I called up today and he said it should be here today after i gave him the tracking number. I think the local post offices are just slow or there's a lot of mail as it was sent as air mail. Lesson learnt, only use UPS & FedEx. don't use USPS (usa) to ship to Australia.
That is good news, glad to hear they did not loose them! Have you got everything installed all ready? Will it be a bitch to check fitment?

Don't use Thai post either! Although, it appears they did their part, so maybe I can't jump on them.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in seeing how this is plumbed in. When do you expect to have photos of one installed? Do you intend to sell a few?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
That is good news, glad to hear they did not loose them! Have you got everything installed all ready? Will it be a bitch to check fitment?

Don't use Thai post either! Although, it appears they did their part, so maybe I can't jump on them.
It should't be much of a headache, there's no head so most of the top end is still off. i'll just need to move the bracket and it'll come off.

Local postal services (aus post ect) are usually slow AFAIK

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I'd be interested in seeing how this is plumbed in. When do you expect to have photos of one installed? Do you intend to sell a few?
If it comes today which it should, i'll try get it installed and take pictures by tonight.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Ya know, one thing I learned when trying to make a custom turbo water pipe, to fit my Vitesse turbo, was that even if you have a custom pipe to use for replication, you really have to test fit it on the car ....
I made a few pipes and they looked perfect until I tried to fit them ...
No ****, it's like Grand Central Station, the way that pipe weaves throughout the car... It's the going over the turbo cold side, and then clearing the TB (under) and the MAF hose intake(over) then making its way over to the coolant reservoir and making sure that the stock ( I wanted to use the stock thermostat ) thermostat doesn't hit the intake manifold.
And lets not forget the last leg that goes to the coolant cross bar !
AND the TPS harness wire, that just fits in there
Finally the biggest PITA is getting all that (the banjo bolt in the turbo) tightened down and still keep the front intake support bracket for the manifold
If you delete that bracket ... it's a lot easier for other options.... I want to keep that bracket
I spent WAY too much time on that damn pipe ...
Good luck Eric .. Looks like a really nice piece
Regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Eddy you should be banned from posting pictures of your car.. It just puts all ours to shame

The adapter is flexible as you can use braided lines to a custom expansion tank or a coolant hose to the stock tank. hoses are easy to find, usually universal heater hoses work.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Eddy you should be banned from posting pictures of your car.. It just puts all ours to shame

The adapter is flexible as you can use braided lines to a custom expansion tank or a coolant hose to the stock tank. hoses are easy to find, usually universal heater hoses work.
LOL
Then, that would be a piece of cake !!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Eddie: High definition pictures of your perfection make us even more unworthy! Work is dead here right now and I have to take an involuntary vacation for a few weeks back to Florida, but will be back soon. I want to see perfection in person!

Paul's original design is all ready test fitted. Since I copied his dimensions(Many Thanks Paul!), I am very hopeful that this will be a viable solution for some of us, thus why I made extras. I will keep one more for my CA car and will have six left over. Hopefully, they will not be fancy paperweights!

If all goes well and they work out, I will sell the final six at a very reasonable price delivered.

Besides the pictures that Paul will post, I will have Mike or Dave take some pictures of my installation as well. I will be using SS braided lines everywhere. I asked them to add a weld bung to my aluminum reservoir so I can use -AN there as well.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Eddie: High definition pictures of your perfection make us even more unworthy! Work is dead here right now and I have to take an involuntary vacation for a few weeks back to Florida, but will be back soon. I want to see perfection in person!

Paul's original design is all ready test fitted. Since I copied his dimensions(Many Thanks Paul!), I am very hopeful that this will be a viable solution for some of us, thus why I made extras. I will keep one more for my CA car and will have six left over. Hopefully, they will not be fancy paperweights!

If all goes well and they work out, I will sell the final six at a very reasonable price delivered.

Besides the pictures that Paul will post, I will have Mike or Dave take some pictures of my installation as well. I will be using SS braided lines everywhere. I asked them to add a weld bung to my aluminum reservoir so I can use -AN there as well.
Ha ha.....
That sounds great, from all angles
I made some extra adapters ( my first stab at trying to make an easier way ) Sadly, they became paperweights ....
Reason ... They would hit the front intake manifold bracket... I basically, took two different fittings and joined them together so the threads would all line up standard on one side metric on the other ( instead of having to use those air compressor fittings ) I will post some pictures of them later...
Have a safe trip
Regards
Ed
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

So it arrived not to long ago.

The piece looks magnificent! I'm really happy with it, I'll still be using the original one I made so it's not a waste.

I test fitted it, and it's very close to mine, just probably shorter which wouldn't matter as when you put a washer on it, it'll raise it.

Photo: I dont have the head to put on it so i couldn't put it under the intake to test fit, but because it's the same size as mine so i'm 100% sure it'll fit

This one is mine: gives you a better idea how it all looks
Old 03-04-2013, 03:22 AM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I agree, everytime I see a pic I plan a viking funeral for my car.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Eric,

Nice work on this. The tree looks awesome.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

URG8RB8 nice job nice piece.. Since you sent it to LR they are going to be massed produced.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Paul- Thanks for the pictures, glad to see they are not paperweights!

If this piece happens to help anybody else out, all credit should really go to Paul. It was his idea, I just copied it as I had access to cheap machining in Thailand. I all ready have one request which leaves five more. I will sell those pieces at $50 shippped to the lower 48. I think this is quite reasonable. Mainly trying to recoupe my expenses not make money and help a few fellow Lister's out. If there should actually be a demand, which I think is highly doubtful, I can have more made and shipped to the States. Of course, this will add cost but still reasonable compaired to having one made here in the States. If LR wants to copyand distribute this design I have no problem with that either. I am not here to try and make money, besides what is the max possible one might sell 50? There just isn't much demand for our cars anymore. I do see some potential for making parts such as this for the JDM scene though. Just a thought!

Quick Reply: CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade