Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the original unmodified intake bracket too. It's all a tight fit, but it fits.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
There are actually two coolant pipes in that thing. So if you replaced both lines then yes.
Jim:

Can you elaborate or post a picture. I am still not sure what you guys are referring too. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

It's called water manifold and distributes water from expansion tank to cooler and WP.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=230836556608

Will try to find some measurement regarding the ATP adapter.

Paulyy did you measure yours since you shaved off some?

/P
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok I attempted to install it this weekend and ran into a couple snags.

First problem I noticed - apparently my turbo's coolant ports are not 14x1.5. They appear to be 1/4" x 18 NPT... so the fitting I ordered didn't work.

Second problem I noticed (and I should have noticed this first).... the threaded hole on the Water Tree Adapter, for the temp sensor, is also NOT tapped to 14x1.5. My 14x1.5 adapter I bought doesn't thread in more than a thread, and neither does the temp sensor. They both thread in fully and easily into the stock piece.

Paulyy and URG8RB8 - did you (and/or LR) ever actually thread a temp sensor into the port on the top of the tree and verify for sure they were threaded right? I can't imagine that only ONE of these would be threaded differently from the others.

Attached pictures show how far in they thread before they bind up.
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Jim:

Wish I had a better answer for your question, but the answer is No. I simply test fit the three M16X1.5 fittings and sent the whole assembly to LR. See the first page pictures of this thread. I did not have access to the original temp sensor. I just checked the drawing and the drawing at least is M14X1.5, see below. Any chance that there is excess anodizing buggering up the threads? Do you happen to have a M14X1.5 tap? I actually kind of doubt it, as the M16X1.5 fittings screwed right into the one I sent to LR. It is late in Australia, so will have to wait for Paul tomorrow. I am flying back to California on Friday. I have two there at my office. I will try to test the threads there and if correct I will send to you. I just zoomed into the pictures from LR and noticed the temp sensor is NOT screwed into the one there. Let me try to call Mike right now and see if he can find a M14X1.5 fitting into it. I did have them all made at the same time. I also sent one to Jonathan, but don't think he will receive it until sometime today.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

The threads looked clear to me. Nothing obvious anyways. :/

Let me know (either here or PM) if/when you hear back from LR. With the timezone my guess is that they'll get back to you sooner than Paulyy will.

I might just build something myself here if I can't get it sorted soon. I want to get my leaky fitting issue sorted before my next DE event (which is in 3 weekends).
Old 07-08-2013, 01:09 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Jim:

I don't have good news. Mine is the same as yours. Dave just tried to screw in the temp sensor and it doesn't fit.

I just looked at the drill and tap chart, there are only three sizes in M14, 1.0, 1.25, & 1.50. I can't believe they screwed something so simple as this up. Of course I will have them remade, but that is not going to happen over night. Guess that is what I get for not checking absolutely everything. I will give you your money back don't worry about that. Don't know if it is worth your time, but you could drill and insert a M14X1.5 Helicoil. At the very least, you might want to try to run a M14X1.5 tap through it and give it a shot with some medium strength thread locker. I don't think you much torque to seal the crush ring. My apologies for the hassle and not checking everything.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Could you do me a favor and find out exactly what size they made that thread? Do you happen to have any other M14 bolts? I am assuming it can only be 1.0 or 1.25, by the chart I looked at.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Jim:

I don't have good news. Mine is the same as yours. Dave just tried to screw in the temp sensor and it doesn't fit.
Well the good news is that I'm not crazy. Sometimes it's nice to get a 3rd party verification of that... few things are worse than sitting here online, 70 miles away from the part, and 2nd guessing myself as I type here!

I just looked at the drill and tap chart, there are only three sizes in M14, 1.0, 1.25, & 1.50. I can't believe they screwed something so simple as this up. Of course I will have them remade, but that is not going to happen over night. Guess that is what I get for not checking absolutely everything. I will give you your money back don't worry about that. Don't know if it is worth your time, but you could drill and insert a M14X1.5 Helicoil. At the very least, you might want to try to run a M14X1.5 tap through it and give it a shot with some medium strength thread locker. I don't think you much torque to seal the crush ring. My apologies for the hassle and not checking everything.
No worries, it happens. I could try the heli-coil/threadlocker route but I'd rather not. I don't want to run the risk of future leaks or issues.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:51 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Could you do me a favor and find out exactly what size they made that thread? Do you happen to have any other M14 bolts? I am assuming it can only be 1.0 or 1.25, by the chart I looked at.
I'll take a look when I get home (or worst case, just run to Home Depot and try out some of their bolts). I'm at the office right now and your part (and my nuts/bolts collection) is 70 miles away.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Jim:

I actually have two fittings with me in my suitcase that I forgot about. I am heading into work in a few minutes. We also have a machine shop at work. I will try to get these two corrected and bring back with me on Friday.

It must have been bad news Monday and nobody informed me...
I woke up to another E-mail from Mike saying that he finally tried to install my COP system and the Hayabusa coils will not fit with the new LR intake! I could just blow this damn car up at this point, always one step forward, two steps back! Man this is crazy disappointing. That intake looks so much smaller, hard to believe.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Jim:

I am not sure if good news or not, but I am perplexed. Both of the units I currently have in my hand measure out just fine. I am now scratching my head about this one. Paul also reported no problems. Jonathan has not reported back. I think I can only attach one pic at a time from my IPhone. Here goes the first one.
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Here is the second pic, this is correct for M14X1.5, tap goes in just fine as well. So I guess my question now is; Is the temp sensor really M14X1.5, or do you and I have two units that are made incorrectly? Damn this is frustrating. When I land Friday, I will get one of these good ones in the mail to you!
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Well I have both the temp sensor and a 14x1.5 fitting and neither fit.

Odd that mine and the one LR has are both wrong though?

Get me your address and I'll send this one back to you.
Here is the second pic, this is correct for M14X1.5, tap goes in just fine as well. So I guess my question now is; Is the temp sensor really M14X1.5, or do you and I have two units that are made incorrectly? Damn this is frustrating. When I land Friday, I will get one of these good ones in the mail to you!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay i just saw this now. And a little bit puzzled.

The temp sensor is M14 x 1.5 which needs a 12.5 or 1/2" tapping drill which seems correct in your picture.
I asked the question here and got the answer for when i got mine made. https://rennlist.com/forums/9367377-post8.html

When I first received mine, Everything fitted. All threads are perfect.

I'm not sure how it's possible to stuff up a metric thread as it's the most simple thread to make.
Thread size - pitch = tapping drill.

Maybe the CNC didn't use a tap? and screw cut it and got the parameters wrong? If the machine was set to TPI not pitch that could cause an issue.

Like i said mine had 0 issues.

Quick Reply: CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade