Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Got any info on that water pump plate that LR has in their pictures? Is that a standard part made by someone (Earl's or something) and if so, got a PN?

I'm going to order up -8 pieces for the turbo connection, and the elbow, and will use -6 for the rest. Local guy has some stuff in stock but none of the metric pieces so I'll have to order that stuff up first. Might be a bit before I can get to this... wedding anniversary next weekend.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Aahh... yes I saw that intake under the rag ....
That headlight bar was a real PITA.... There are so many parts ..
Make sure you keep detailed records on it, when you disassemble it. (especially the washers and spacers )
Best regards
Ed
Damn, not what I was wanting to here.

I would ask them to do it, but that would add at least another year to accomplish, better to do it myself. Thanks for the heads up. I am a picture guy, I take hundreds before, during, and after. Makes things so much easier. I actually filmed the disassembly 12 years ago and still have it. That makes things even easier, because I talk to myself during the process about all the little PITA things I am encountering during disassembly.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:27 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Got it today. If I get time this weekend I'll pull the intake manifold and start measuring for fittings. Gotta make sure I have manifold gaskets in stock....
Great!!! Looking forward to hearing the results.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Got any info on that water pump plate that LR has in their pictures? Is that a standard part made by someone (Earl's or something) and if so, got a PN?

I'm going to order up -8 pieces for the turbo connection, and the elbow, and will use -6 for the rest. Local guy has some stuff in stock but none of the metric pieces so I'll have to order that stuff up first. Might be a bit before I can get to this... wedding anniversary next weekend.
Jim:

Unfortunately, I can't help you right now on that water pump plate. I too was eyeballing this piece in the picture. Sweet piece that I did not know about. I will get the information for you next week. Don't forget the crush washers, I see that LR did forget the crush washers and will have this corrected. It is hard to beat Summit for the fittings, good price, quick shipping, and no tax. Happy Anniversary Early, can't talk the wife into working on the car for your anniversary? Ha! I think only Darwin has this luxury.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:28 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Damn, not what I was wanting to here.

I would ask them to do it, but that would add at least another year to accomplish, better to do it myself. Thanks for the heads up. I am a picture guy, I take hundreds before, during, and after. Makes things so much easier. I actually filmed the disassembly 12 years ago and still have it. That makes things even easier, because I talk to myself during the process about all the little PITA things I am encountering during disassembly.
I am the same way ( with pictures) but I got a lot better at it, as I took more and more of the car apart
The big issue for me was the washers/ spacers
When you consider how much I gave the plater its a miracle I got the car back together with everything it its right place ...
When you are ready to do it I will dig up my pictures and data I saved and get it to ya ...
Those springs were a little tricky to get back on without scraping any plating off while putting them back on,etc...
Regards
Ed
Old 06-30-2013, 06:13 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Thanks Eddie, I would appreciate that!

After 12 years of being apart and being at the shop for over 4 years now, it is very disheartening to have to pull it apart again when I get it back. Guess it doesn't matter, because I am going to strip it down for a re-spray as well. That will probably take another year or so. Just hope they don't ruin my interior. Most of the car is very good, but not perfect and there is a ding in the hood. Sometimes it sucks being ****!

Think I will go the 968 mirrors and door handles route before the re-spray. I am not that fond of the Zermatt and would like to switch to the CA car Glacier Blue, but hate painting the engine bay, sills, and jams. I am sure they would get overspray everywhere. After reading a few threads on here, looks like I need to replace the under 50 mile 12 year old tires as well. This is the biggest money pit ever! I was getting the itch and browsing the 997 Turbo S's for under $60K last night, Ughh
Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Jim:

Unfortunately, I can't help you right now on that water pump plate. I too was eyeballing this piece in the picture. Sweet piece that I did not know about. I will get the information for you next week. Don't forget the crush washers, I see that LR did forget the crush washers and will have this corrected. It is hard to beat Summit for the fittings, good price, quick shipping, and no tax. Happy Anniversary Early, can't talk the wife into working on the car for your anniversary? Ha! I think only Darwin has this luxury.
Thanks My wife is pretty forgiving, and is also into cars... pretty much every vacation we've taken since before we got married was somehow related to cars or motorcycles. (Hell we got engaged at Laguna Seca.) But she draws the line on our anniversary LOL... she already refers to the 951 as my "mistress". I'm pretty much banned from even saying the WORD "car" or "Porsche" on that day.

No worries about the crush washers. I ordered the metric AN adapter fittings from ANPlumbing.com, they included the crush washers. I flipped through Jeg's and Summit and they are odd when it comes to AN fittings... they have some but not others. I've got a local guy here with other AN fittings in stock so once the metric ones show up I'll just hit him up for the other stuff I need. Tough part is just finding the time to dig in there!

I imagine one could make that WP plate. My guess is that they most likely just used one of their "block off plates" and drilled+tapped a NPT hole in it. Simple enough. I frickin' HATE coolant though (slimy and I hate the smell) so I'll probably skip doing that for now... otherwise, based on where that plate would go, I'd have to drain a lot of coolant out of the car to get that on. I'll wait to do that until next winter when I have the motor out again for rings.

I sent you the PayPal yesterday - let me know if you didn't get it. Thanks dude!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:32 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Got it thanks!

Have a great anniversary and keep us posted of the results.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see how LR did it. I had the idea of something like that too but neater.. and obviously a different type of tree.. but keeping it more in the stock position seemed to make more sense. Looking at the room. I don't see the issue of mounting it in it's original spot.

We'll see how Jim does his. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW Eric your car is looking good But that water Aux pump could do with a little clean
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

It will be replaced or plated along with the bracket, see note above to Eddie.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I am looking forward to Jim's install as well. Without the stock intake bracket I see no issues at all. After I see the final LR install I might redesign the whole package and have this version made as well with the mounting bracket. That will work well for those that want to maintain this bracket and still have room to work. I might be able to incorporate mounting tabs into a one piece design as well. That would be optimal.

I see some ugly pipe fittings they used on my expansion tank that will also have to be replaced. Details, it is all in the details, some people just don't understand that concept.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

And while you're still in Thailand we need you to make the modified ATP turbo adapter and water port for the water pump!
When can you have them shipped?

Also, when going directly from WP to the water tree, does this somehow allow you to delete the bigger water passage to the radiator? The black tube thingy bolted in the chassis.

Sawadee cap
/Peter
Old 07-03-2013, 03:30 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

If you have dimensions I can have anything made here very cheap, with pretty high quality. However, I need a drawing or at least proper dimensions. I am not familiar with the water passage you are referring too. Do you have a picture? Please remember I have not seen my car in a very long time.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Peedster
And while you're still in Thailand we need you to make the modified ATP turbo adapter and water port for the water pump!
When can you have them shipped?

Also, when going directly from WP to the water tree, does this somehow allow you to delete the bigger water passage to the radiator? The black tube thingy bolted in the chassis.

Sawadee cap
/Peter
There are actually two coolant pipes in that thing. So if you replaced both lines then yes.

Quick Reply: CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade