CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
...I made a few pipes and they looked perfect until I tried to fit them ... No ****, it's like Grand Central Station, the way that pipe weaves throughout the car... It's the going over the turbo cold side, and then clearing the TB (under) and the MAF hose intake (over) then making its way over to the coolant reservoir and making sure that the stock ( I wanted to use the stock thermostat ) thermostat doesn't hit the intake manifold.
And lets not forget the last leg that goes to the coolant cross bar !
AND the TPS harness wire, that just fits in there
Finally the biggest PITA is getting all that (the banjo bolt in the turbo) tightened down and still keep the front intake support bracket for the manifold
If you delete that bracket ... it's a lot easier for other options.... I want to keep that bracket
Ed - it's understandable after seeing your embarrasingly (for the rest of us) tidy engine compartment, that you want to keep stock components wherever possible. But you've got to admit that if you got rid of the stock hard AOS/CV octopus pipes that you would have a lot more room to play with under there .

Regarding the new CNC piece is whether or not I could adapt it to my LR Super-53 non-BB center section that has a pipe thread connection. I used a pipe thread to barb elbow and another double-barb elbow with a couple of short pieces of hose to plumb in the coolant lines, but I ended up with no place for the thermostat.

It seems like I might be able to use a piece like this CNC adapter with a hose barb fitting threaded into the bottom to clamp my hose onto... hmm...

This is what I have now:
Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Down to four, maybe I should have made more...
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Down to four, maybe I should have made more...
Frankly, I would be all over this if I didn't have 2 of those custom water pipes made up already..
This (to me) is by far and way one of the most difficult hurdle to overcome when upgrading a turbo ....I lost about two months on this obstacle alone
But then again I am nuts and had to make it myself
Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

But you would loose that stock perfection look, so I am not sure this would work for you!

Mike sent me some more pictures of the engine from underneath, and thanks to you I sent this statement:

Mike: Anything that does not look brand new or needs plating, yank it off and replace it, Eddie is killing me!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Ed - it's understandable after seeing your embarrasingly (for the rest of us) tidy engine compartment, that you want to keep stock components wherever possible. But you've got to admit that if you got rid of the stock hard AOS/CV octopus pipes that you would have a lot more room to play with under there .

Regarding the new CNC piece is whether or not I could adapt it to my LR Super-53 non-BB center section that has a pipe thread connection. I used a pipe thread to barb elbow and another double-barb elbow with a couple of short pieces of hose to plumb in the coolant lines, but I ended up with no place for the thermostat.

It seems like I might be able to use a piece like this CNC adapter with a hose barb fitting threaded into the bottom to clamp my hose onto... hmm...

This is what I have now:
I did something like that but the thing kept leaking! hens my new solution!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

But you would loose that stock perfection look, so I am not sure this would work for you!

Mike sent me some more pictures of the engine from underneath, and thanks to you I sent this statement:

Mike: Anything that does not look brand new or needs plating, yank it off and replace it, Eddie is killing me!
Ha ha ....
Eric
As Tom has reminded me quite often .. It's a disease !!!!
I started off with doing a few pieces ... then after the parts came back looking so good, I was addicted ...
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Since I am getting quite a few requests, I want to make a list and a statement. I really don't want to accept anybody's money until LR has test fitted the piece I sent to them yesterday. That would be two verifications and should eliminate any worries about whether or not this is a good option. Basically, I don't want any unhappy people. I really have very little doubt after seeing Paul's picture, but better to measure twice and cut once as they say. With that being said, I have received requests from the following people respectively:
  1. s14kev
  2. gicke
  3. theedge
  4. shortboy
  5. peedster
  6. jlturpin

Looks like I gauged the amount of interest about right, I have none left now, all are accounted for. By the way since some people have asked the price in PM's it is listed above, but will list again here $50 USD shipped to lower 48, extra for overseas. Sorry for any late replies, I have been gone for a couple years and just returned home on Monday. I just got internet this evening and still have a million chores to attend too as you might imagine. Damn, internet service is expensive in America now!!! $75.50 a month for just internet, R U kidding me??? I could get faster service in Thailand for $25.00! No wonder we are falling so far behind!

Last edited by URG8RB8; 03-06-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Updated Order List, There are no more left.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Frankly, I would be all over this if I didn't have 2 of those custom water pipes made up already..
This (to me) is by far and way one of the most difficult hurdle to overcome when upgrading a turbo ....I lost about two months on this obstacle alone
But then again I am nuts and had to make it myself
Eddie:

Received some pictures today of all new brackets, clips, bolts, turn buckles, pipes, and washers! The pictures look like crap or I would post them. Anyway, trying to make you proud!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

I want one.

What motor mount are you guys using for your gt installs? Full custom or modified factory with mount adapter?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 03-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like 2-4 but we dont need them just now hopfully they will be avaliable later on as well..
Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I did something like that but the thing kept leaking! hens my new solution!
Your new solution is a Chicken? Man I don't get you Melbourne guys!
Nice work Eric. As for Eddie...he's just OCD is all.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Eddie:

Received some pictures today of all new brackets, clips, bolts, turn buckles, pipes, and washers! The pictures look like crap or I would post them. Anyway, trying to make you proud!
LOL
Not that you will ever want to do it again, but when you get back I have a guy here that ( too me anyway ) does the best plating around, PERIOD .. !
I will tell you all about it, and the best way to achieve what your looking for...
Have a safe trip back
Regards
Ed

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 03-06-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Your new solution is a Chicken? Man I don't get you Melbourne guys!
Nice work Eric. As for Eddie...he's just OCD is all.
LOL
And yes I need help ... big time
Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

LOL
Not that you will ever want to do it again, but when you get back I have a guy here that ( too me anyway ) does the best plating around, PERIOD .. !
I will tell you all about it, and the best way to achieve what your looking for...
Have a safe trip back
Regards
Ed
Ha Ha Ha!!! I don't think I will be replating the items I just had replated and/or replaced with new, I am not that OCD!

However, there is always the CA car that will need all new shiny parts! I used a guy in Santa Clara near the airport a long time ago, he was quite good and the price was good as well. Basically, everything that would fit in his basket was the same price. There was a good powder coater over there as well. I will have to try and look up the name of the place when I get back.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Was it Four D plating? He charged me $65 for a box full of stuff.

Quick Reply: CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade