Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Would be nice with a modified ATP adapter that was shaved like Paulyys and also that water pump adapter for AN fitting.

Looks like we're getting closer to a bolt on kit here!

The CEP or Tial mount would be nice but if its doable with a shaved GT adapter from ATP I'm happy with this!

Eric or Paulyy, are these parts something you've considered? I'd be in for a purchase!

Maybe there's interest to start a group thing here?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Ha Ha Ha!!! I don't think I will be replating the items I just had replated and/or replaced with new, I am not that OCD!

However, there is always the CA car that will need all new shiny parts! I used a guy in Santa Clara near the airport a long time ago, he was quite good and the price was good as well. Basically, everything that would fit in his basket was the same price. There was a good powder coater over there as well. I will have to try and look up the name of the place when I get back.
I amost went to a guy right around there as well .. seemed like a nice guy but reminded me of Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies .. So I went with the guy I have recommend on here many times before 4D plating

Originally Posted by jlturpin
Was it Four D plating? He charged me $65 for a box full of stuff.
Yep that's the place ...
Matt or his dad Pete ... Great guys
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I amost went to a guy right around there as well .. seemed like a nice guy but reminded me of Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies .. So I went with the guy I have recommend on here many times before 4D plating
Yes, 4D Plating that is the place I used as well. Very fair price and excellent results, better still if you were to have 2-3 cars to do at once, as I didn't even come close to filling the basket.

Sorry for the late reply, I took the day and night off to drive up to Gainesville to watch my Gators destroy Vanderbilt for their sixth outright SEC Championship! Sorry for the shameless plug.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Peedster
Would be nice with a modified ATP adapter that was shaved like Paulyys and also that water pump adapter for AN fitting.

Looks like we're getting closer to a bolt on kit here!

The CEP or Tial mount would be nice but if its doable with a shaved GT adapter from ATP I'm happy with this!

Eric or Paulyy, are these parts something you've considered? I'd be in for a purchase!

Maybe there's interest to start a group thing here?
Peter:

I am back in the US now, everything is overpriced here that involves labor. While in Thailand, I could have nearly anything made extremely cheap! I only had to provide my machine shop a good CAD drawing. There is a possibility that I will return later this year, maybe in June. If Paul were to provide me the dimensions I could have them made. Honestly, what I would really like to have dimensions on is the CEP alternator bracket, but not here to screw anybody out of business. However, I could probably have that made for around $75 including anodizing, possibly cheaper! If anybody has any drawings of helpful parts they would like made, PM me. Trust me, this guy's prices can't be beat. The best part is that they don't charge a first time tooling or setup fee. The downside, is they have to be small, hard to bring back alot of stuff in my luggage. If I ship from Thailand there are all kinds of hassles with US customs, but it can be done.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hope both Pauly and Eric would receive compensation for creating this adaptor if LR or any other vender started production.

OT...

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I started off with doing a few pieces ... then after the parts came back looking so good, I was addicted ...
Great, I may be doomed!

I will be driving this car next month, so the remaining parts will receive attention as I go... unless I can resist. This is a year round driver, up north no less. Without clear PC or engine paint, I don't believe the finish will survive too long in this environment.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say that I appreciate all of the work going into this. I currently am running a 50 trim Turbonetics with the M-tune, and although it is quite stout at 18 lbs of boost. I may want more

So this could be needed in the near future.

I also wanted to see if this is the 4d shop? I live in Santa Clara and am looking for a powder coating place for my wheels and engine components.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...43287494,d.aWc

Congrats for the Gators! I have many family members that are Alumni. I am with the "U" and look forward to playing the lizards next year. UM will start coming back now that the investigation has shown to be a fraud in itself. Maybe we will see you in the tourney.

Thankyou again for your help with this important piece of upgrading to larger Turbo's.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951Saga
I would hope both Pauly and Eric would receive compensation for creating this adaptor if LR or any other vender started production.

OT...

Great, I may be doomed!

I will be driving this car next month, so the remaining parts will receive attention as I go... unless I can resist. This is a year round driver, up north no less. Without clear PC or engine paint, I don't believe the finish will survive too long in this environment.
Looking good !!!

Originally Posted by Ifly951
I will say that I appreciate all of the work going into this. I currently am running a 50 trim Turbonetics with the M-tune, and although it is quite stout at 18 lbs of boost. I may want more

So this could be needed in the near future.

I also wanted to see if this is the 4d shop? I live in Santa Clara and am looking for a powder coating place for my wheels and engine components.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...43287494,d.aWc

Thankyou again for your help with this important piece of upgrading to larger Turbo's.
Yep that's the place ... Tell'em Eddie sent ya
Ask for Matt or his Father Pete
Old 03-09-2013, 05:21 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

OK, so I heard back from LR last night and as I expected after reading Eddie's early comments, it is not just dropping in. This is why I have not shipped out any of the pieces or accepted any money. Some bits and pieces present on a stock factory setup will have to be removed or modified to mkae it fit properly, mainly the intake support bracket. There is also a question of whether or not the -8AN lines are necessary or if -6AN will be sufficient. With the -6AN, they are not only smaller but more fleixible. They will continue to work on this on Monday. Unfortunately, I don't have a car here to play with this myself. I am sure that I could come up with the best solution more quickly, but that is not possible at this time. I will have to wait and see what reccomendations they provide me on Monday, hopefully with some pictures.

Actually, all these intake clearance questions have me wanting to install their smaller intake and put this extruded piece on my CA car. However, being a 2.5L I really don't want to loose any bottom end torque. Decissions, decissions, decissions!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:53 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Sorry I didn't see these earlier posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
I agree, everytime I see a pic I plan a viking funeral for my car.
LOL

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Ed - it's understandable after seeing your embarrasingly (for the rest of us) tidy engine compartment, that you want to keep stock components wherever possible. But you've got to admit that if you got rid of the stock hard AOS/CV octopus pipes that you would have a lot more room to play with under there .

Regarding the new CNC piece is whether or not I could adapt it to my LR Super-53 non-BB center section that has a pipe thread connection. I used a pipe thread to barb elbow and another double-barb elbow with a couple of short pieces of hose to plumb in the coolant lines, but I ended up with no place for the thermostat.

It seems like I might be able to use a piece like this CNC adapter with a hose barb fitting threaded into the bottom to clamp my hose onto... hmm...

This is what I have now:
LOL
Actually, the biggest issue, was the front intake bracket. I did think of cutting off the 2 smaller pipe on the octopus. I actually did a cut both small pipes off of one I bought on Rennlist. I spent hours surgically cutting those F#$%ers off only to find it was for an 86, which has a different tabs for the bolts
So I gave it to Tom .... I did use 2 of the 3 pipes so I left it stock, but that is not really a fitting issue, but it does look congested there for sure
Originally Posted by 951Saga
Great, I may be doomed!

Doomed for sure
Yea, if its a daily driver in a elements it might have a tendency to go away over time. I have the benefit of not having to dive the car in the elements
OK, so I heard back from LR last night and as I expected after reading Eddie's early comments, it is not just dropping in. This is why I have not shipped out any of the pieces or accepted any money. Some bits and pieces present on a stock factory setup will have to be removed or modified to mkae it fit properly, mainly the intake support bracket. There is also a question of whether or not the -8AN lines are necessary or if -6AN will be sufficient. With the -6AN, they are not only smaller but more fleixible. They will continue to work on this on Monday. Unfortunately, I don't have a car here to play with this myself. I am sure that I could come up with the best solution more quickly, but that is not possible at this time. I will have to wait and see what reccomendations they provide me on Monday, hopefully with some pictures.

Actually, all these intake clearance questions have me wanting to install their smaller intake and put this extruded piece on my CA car. However, being a 2.5L I really don't want to loose any bottom end torque. Decissions, decissions, decissions!
Hey Eric
Very sorry .... That really sucks ...
I was afraid of that ... As I mentioned earlier, I had a similar thing happen... although I didn't invest the amount you had .. When I saw that picture that Pauly posted, I was having a problem seeing, how that line wasn't going to hit that intake support, in the front??
That F#$% water pipe is really a PITA with the bigger turbo ...
There are just so many interference issues with that pipe, that need to be sorted out....
I thought I was there a number of times, only to find out that it had to be put on to fit ....
and then tweaked and tweaked ...
I would not put a smaller intake on at all ..!!
Some guys swear that not using bracket is not an issue ( as long as you don't lean on the intake )...
I hope it all works out ....
Regards
Ed
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

OK, I can finally provide an update. The water tree can be used as is with the described -AN adapters if you are willing to remove or modify the intake support bracket. The process is easier, if you choose -6AN metric to -AN adapters and -6AN line. Dave called their DBB turbo manufacturer and was told -4AN would actually flow enough to cool the turbo, therefore -6AN should be just fine. Personally, I would not drop to -4AN or 1/4" lines, even though it would make things much easier due to small size and flexibility. While I have not yet seen his design, Mike wants to move the water tree on my car slightly forward of the turbo center section. He is going to drill and tap two mounting holes into the tree body and mount it to a custom made bracket where the hoist eyelet is located. Again, I have not seen this design and it is not completed yet. This will require running a short length of hose from the turbo to the bottom of the water tree. I am told the water temp sensor wire is long enough to fit this location. This will also help with the possibility of one of the two side lines torquing the tree body and thus loosening the lower 90 degree female union elbow fitting. When all of this is finished on my car, I will post pictures.

Eddie: Can you post one of your beautiful high resolution pictures of the area he is talking about mounting the tree to so I can get a better idea of the placement. I have not seen the car in so long, it would be very helpful.

For those of you who wanted to order the remaining six pieces I have, if you are still interested I am comfortable enough now to sell them seeing that they will in fact work. It is just a matter of how picky you are. I think I have stated just about all of the possible pit falls you might encounter. Then again, Paul’s car is up and running just fine with the original design. I do have an issue though, I am no longer laid off and will fly back to California on Saturday and then to Thailand/Malaysia on Monday of next week. If anybody still wants me to ship this piece, I can only do it on Friday before I leave. Please PM me if still interested. I will not return to the states for at least one month.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Mike wants to move the water tree on my car slightly forward of the turbo center section. He is going to drill and tap two mounting holes into the tree body and mount it to a custom made bracket where the hoist eyelet is located. Again, I have not seen this design and it is not completed yet. This will require running a short length of hose from the turbo to the bottom of the water tree. I am told the water temp sensor wire is long enough to fit this location. This will also help with the possibility of one of the two side lines torquing the tree body and thus loosening the lower 90 degree female union elbow fitting. When all of this is finished on my car, I will post pictures.

Eddie: Can you post one of your beautiful high resolution pictures of the area he is talking about mounting the tree to so I can get a better idea of the placement. I have not seen the car in so long, it would be very helpful.
Hey Eric
I am not really following completely what's in bold above ... I will try to dig up some pictures of my set up before I put everything on and see if that is what you want .. may take me a while as I have to go back two yrs or so...
Regards
Ed
Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I can finally provide an update. The water tree can be used as is with the described -AN adapters if you are willing to remove or modify the intake support bracket. The process is easier, if you choose -6AN metric to -AN adapters and -6AN line. Dave called their DBB turbo manufacturer and was told -4AN would actually flow enough to cool the turbo, therefore -6AN should be just fine. Personally, I would not drop to -4AN or 1/4" lines, even though it would make things much easier due to small size and flexibility. While I have not yet seen his design, Mike wants to move the water tree on my car slightly forward of the turbo center section. He is going to drill and tap two mounting holes into the tree body and mount it to a custom made bracket where the hoist eyelet is located. Again, I have not seen this design and it is not completed yet. This will require running a short length of hose from the turbo to the bottom of the water tree. I am told the water temp sensor wire is long enough to fit this location. This will also help with the possibility of one of the two side lines torquing the tree body and thus loosening the lower 90 degree female union elbow fitting. When all of this is finished on my car, I will post pictures.

For those of you who wanted to order the remaining six pieces I have, if you are still interested I am comfortable enough now to sell them seeing that they will in fact work. It is just a matter of how picky you are. I think I have stated just about all of the possible pit falls you might encounter. Then again, Paul’s car is up and running just fine with the original design. I do have an issue though, I am no longer laid off and will fly back to California on Saturday and then to Thailand/Malaysia on Monday of next week. If anybody still wants me to ship this piece, I can only do it on Friday before I leave. Please PM me if still interested. I will not return to the states for at least one month.
I still cant see why the support bracket is in the way. Really you can just remove it, mine doesn't get used.. just the rear support bracket does.
Your turbos CHAR should be exactly the same as mine and i cannot figure our why it doesn't fit? That annoys me a little as i made sure everything fits properly before i gave the OK.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Pictures

Eric
Here are a few pictures Hope this helps
Regards
Ed
-My orig attempt at a custom adapter ( Worked but hits the intake manifold bracket ...
-Picture of interference with manifold bracket
-Picture of my custom pipe and stock pipe
-Shots of the pipe from different angles ...
Brings back some bad memories ...
This was a Royal pain in the *** ...
Attached Images         
Old 03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Close up

One more:
As you can see the banjo bolt is off center .. the intake bracket is blocking it from going in.
Also, I must add .... Very important note ..
Even when using the thread adapter the water pipe is moved out to help get the water pipes two branches over the cool side of the turbo but in most cases its not enough ... That is not to say that one can't modify the pipe at that point( with hoses etc.. to get it to fit ) it's just that it will not usually not be enough to get the pipe to line up where it needs to be ...as it goes on it journey to the coolant reservoir and the coolant crossbar ...
Best regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Eddie do you use sunglasses or welding goggles when you working on your car?

Quick Reply: CNC'ed Aluminum Water Tree Adaptor for DBB Turbo Upgrade