Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:43 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Not sure if you can buy a conical flare (don't know how else to describe it?) that might only be 1" long but just flare out an extra 1/2 to 1" diameter? Then just do a bit of quick cutting and welding...hey presto.
I know that's a simplified way of looking at it but perhaps that's all it would take? Gut instinct says that it would help. Guess you can leave that up your sleeve for next time.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:13 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not sure if you have seen this Picture of Corleones intake?
http://www.garaget.org/?car=4258&image=690623
Old 02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
Test fitted the crank tonight. As I looked at it, I started to worry that the rod bolts were going to hit the cradle but they cleared with a minimum of 0.08" clearance. Crank is nice and straight.
Regarding this,

How much more stroke could be fit into the block with the Mitsu rods if starting with a 3.0 block (and factory-clearanced girdle)...could we get to an even 100mm stroke (with added crank material)?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Regarding this,

How much more stroke could be fit into the block with the Mitsu rods if starting with a 3.0 block (and factory-clearanced girdle)...could we get to an even 100mm stroke (with added crank material)?

Never looked at it from that angle. Pretty sure 96 or 97 may be physically possible with safe clearance. I do not think I would want to go much more than 95 mm stroke due to the low rod ratio. Mine is 1.59 IIRC and ideal is around 1.71.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by refresh951
Never looked at it from that angle. Pretty sure 96 or 97 may be physically possible with safe clearance. I do not think I would want to go much more than 95 mm stroke due to the low rod ratio. Mine is 1.59 IIRC and ideal is around 1.71.
How much higher could the piston pin be moved to accomodate a longer rod?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 140 Posts

Regarding this,

Why don't you want to put more rod clearance in the lower block and girdle? You're talking about maximizing stroke by going to a lot of trouble (adding material to the crank, custom rods, custom pistons); why not do some simple machining to the block for additional rod clearance?

About 15 years ago I built a 3.4L 944 race engine using the 944 rod journal size, Carrillo rods, and a 4.155" bore (can't recall the stroke, but you can do the math). It had a reasonable rod/stroke ratio, a short compression height, and of course additional rod clearancing. It made a lot of torque, but power was limited by ITB's sized for a smaller engine. Mechanically, it was sound - shifting was never below 8000.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:02 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much higher could the piston pin be moved to accomodate a longer rod?
I'm a long rod fan, but I personally think people get way too hung up on it a times. If you are running a class that limits stroke, then sure, increase the length. If you have already maxed out stroke through whatever other methods, sure, increase rod length. I would NOT let rod ration constrain other things. Generally (i.e. not 944 specific) speaking, you can push the compression height to about 25mm, but that puts the pin into the oil scrapers, and that will increase oil consumption. Attached #1 is a comparison from a stroked Ford 2.3 Turbo I built. You can see how increasing the rod length got into the rings. Factory rod ratio was 1.67. With just the stroke, it would have gone down to 1.53. I recovered some of that and got to 1.61. Obviously this was a short rod engine compared to the Porsche.

Attached #2 is a comparison of piston position to crank angle for different rod ratios. Extremes are 1.4 and 2.5 (2.5 being an F1 type). Production looks around the 1.6-1.8 range. The difference is quite small. I did this for a guy looking to increase the rod length on a 968, as well, which led to all sorts of issues, including needing to add volume to the dish, which owuld have hurt combustion. Attachment #3 is that 968, rod ratios are 1.80 and 1.71. This is now taking cam events into consideration along with displaced volume. It is FEA of air through the valves (which is not what really happens, as the air will not exceed about 330 m/s early in the stroke). The difference here is minimal. Directionally correct, yes, but when you look at the tradeoffs, is it really worth it? On an all out unlimited budget race car, sure. On a street car, NFW.
Attached Images    
Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
Why don't you want to put more rod clearance in the lower block and girdle? You're talking about maximizing stroke by going to a lot of trouble (adding material to the crank, custom rods, custom pistons); why not do some simple machining to the block for additional rod clearance?

About 15 years ago I built a 3.4L 944 race engine using the 944 rod journal size, Carrillo rods, and a 4.155" bore (can't recall the stroke, but you can do the math). It had a reasonable rod/stroke ratio, a short compression height, and of course additional rod clearancing. It made a lot of torque, but power was limited by ITB's sized for a smaller engine. Mechanically, it was sound - shifting was never below 8000.
That sounds like a monster...I asked about the 3.0 block because that factory girdle looks to have a large amount of clearance done to accomodate the 3.0 stroke. Shawn's motor with smaller rod ends has ~7mm more stroke than the 3.0 and still fits within the 2.5 block, within 2mm of the girdle. So if adding 5 more mm to stroke, then you'd want at least 5mm more girdle clearance. Not saying the 2.5 girdle can't be modified to work, but starting with a 3.0 engine gives you a better block as well.

Originally Posted by 67King
I'm a long rod fan, but I personally think people get way too hung up on it a times. If you are running a class that limits stroke, then sure, increase the length. If you have already maxed out stroke through whatever other methods, sure, increase rod length. I would NOT let rod ration constrain other things. Generally (i.e. not 944 specific) speaking, you can push the compression height to about 25mm, but that puts the pin into the oil scrapers, and that will increase oil consumption. Attached #1 is a comparison from a stroked Ford 2.3 Turbo I built. You can see how increasing the rod length got into the rings. Factory rod ratio was 1.67. With just the stroke, it would have gone down to 1.53. I recovered some of that and got to 1.61. Obviously this was a short rod engine compared to the Porsche.

Attached #2 is a comparison of piston position to crank angle for different rod ratios. Extremes are 1.4 and 2.5 (2.5 being an F1 type). Production looks around the 1.6-1.8 range. The difference is quite small. I did this for a guy looking to increase the rod length on a 968, as well, which led to all sorts of issues, including needing to add volume to the dish, which owuld have hurt combustion. Attachment #3 is that 968, rod ratios are 1.80 and 1.71. This is now taking cam events into consideration along with displaced volume. It is FEA of air through the valves (which is not what really happens, as the air will not exceed about 330 m/s early in the stroke). The difference here is minimal. Directionally correct, yes, but when you look at the tradeoffs, is it really worth it? On an all out unlimited budget race car, sure. On a street car, NFW.
I have done a lot of reading and most people are of the same train of thought (consensus) that rod ratio is nothing to really hang up on, that you should figure out your piston height and stroke and then get the longest rod that "will fit between those things".

But "the internet" said that the forces of combustion are directed more into the main bearings/block webbing with a longer rod than with a shorter which puts pistons into cylinder walls harder. My concern with going too short on a rod vs stroke would be that we know the 944 cylinders move around a little, so if more strain on the cylinder walls could be taken off by using a longer rod it might help save HG's.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:44 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 140 Posts

I asked about the 3.0 block because that factory girdle looks to have a large amount of clearance done to accommodate the 3.0 stroke. Shawn's motor with smaller rod ends has ~7mm more stroke than the 3.0 and still fits within the 2.5 block, within 2mm of the girdle. So if adding 5 more mm to stroke, then you'd want at least 5mm more girdle clearance. Not saying the 2.5 girdle can't be modified to work, but starting with a 3.0 engine gives you a better block as well.
Yes, the 3L block has the most clearance, and it's a much better block. My point is that it's pretty easy to add clearance where needed. The amount of block material removed can't be calculated. It's going to depend on the specific rod you're using and other factors. You've got to dummy up the components and see.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In regards to rod ratio...
You could just add deck height :-O (I know of one such engine)

Shorter rods do add a bit of piston speed and higher velocity. They also add a bit of side load on the skirts. In the end it's all relative too the rpm desired. I've built short rod 400 sbc's that outperformed long rod ones when shifted at lower rpms.

personally I don't think that building a much bigger engine is necessary. Building a 3.3 is very easy using this approach (mitsu rod size with base 3.0 parts).

Looking at the 968 heads flow potential, I don't see a need for a larger engine, when you won't even be maxxing out the head on a smaller engine. Also if rataining the 8v you are limited to the head anyway.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
In regards to rod ratio...
You could just add deck height :-O (I know of one such engine)

Shorter rods do add a bit of piston speed and higher velocity. They also add a bit of side load on the skirts. In the end it's all relative too the rpm desired. I've built short rod 400 sbc's that outperformed long rod ones when shifted at lower rpms.

personally I don't think that building a much bigger engine is necessary. Building a 3.3 is very easy using this approach (mitsu rod size with base 3.0 parts).

Looking at the 968 heads flow potential, I don't see a need for a larger engine, when you won't even be maxxing out the head on a smaller engine. Also if rataining the 8v you are limited to the head anyway.
I've thought about the deck height idea...best I can come up with is a sort of stepped deck plate, press-fit around cylinders like the existing deck plates but then with a "step" that fits around the head studs and raises the deck say 1". Then you sleeve through the deck and into the block to make one assembly. You'd have to figure out sealing passages from oil/water but maybe there's an RTV or modified head gasket design that could be used. Caterpillar makes a big diesel engine with a deck-height plate option that IIRC just sits between two head gaskets, with a single sleeve through deck/block, and those seem to work OK.

By my math, basically maxing out the block at 108mm bore/100mm stroke, comes up within rounding of 3.7L...the Porsche 944 tractor.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:32 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One is already in the works using a machined oring groove around all passages.

IMO it is seriously overkill, but should prove to be quite an engine when finished. The nice thing about it is that there are Mitsu 156mm rods that can be used with pistons that still keep the pin out of the ring lands. Even the top of the line mitsu rods are less expensive than most Porsche aftermarket units. Add the race bearings into the mix and you're even further ahead.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:21 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I see that cosworth makes 4g63 rods if they fall into the higher end lineup of rods.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

But do those rods still use the wide 1990-1992 big end that matches our cranks?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:00 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Got is up and running tonight. Idled fine. I will take it for a drive and some tuning tomorrow

Quick Reply: Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build