Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:12 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The power flex stuff is what he warned against in his thread though. I have polyurethane bushings on all of my turbo ricers and he is exactly right about the greasing and squeaking. Honestly, i noticed almost no difference going from the stock rubber to the poly other than the annoying squeaking. If you recall I swapped about 7 sets of brake pads to get rid of the squealing, Ha! . Even if his up graded rubber units are expensive I am willing to pay if performance improves with no annoying squeaks. Remember mine is a daily driver. Thanks for the Clark's post reading now.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
Low cost street/track suspension project. 28 mm torsion bars (cip1) for $134, Coil over kit (275 lb springs) from Paragon for $260, and refurbished late strut bearings from Josh B. Lowered the car about 0.75". Amazing results for the money. Highly recommended.

So how does the car ride on the street as compared to before with the added size of the bars and coil-overs?

[/QUOTE]
Is that a before and after ? Oh no that's and 86 vs a later bushing but, man that is amazing how good that looks .... I did mine, but had to go to great lengths to seal the bearings, when I had them re-plated !
I always wondered if those bearings could be replaced?

[/QUOTE]
Looks awesome
regards
Ed
Old 07-06-2014, 10:45 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
So how does the car ride on the street as compared to before with the added size of the bars and coil-overs?
Really like the combo. Seems like a good compromise for a street/DE car. I need a long trip to do a proper comparison but thus far I really like it. Does not feel harsh. With the old OEM spring rates, I felt quite a bit of front end lift when getting into the power and that is gone now. I never really realized how much this influenced the car until I changed it. The car is more stable under heavy load with this setup and I feel WAY more confident at high power levels . I should know how balanced the car is in a couple weeks after the next autocross event.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Really like the combo. Seems like a good compromise for a street/DE car. I need a long trip to do a proper comparison but thus far I really like it. Does not feel harsh. With the old OEM spring rates, I felt quite a bit of front end lift when getting into the power and that is gone now. I never really realized how much this influenced the car until I changed it. The car is more stable under heavy load with this setup and I feel WAY more confident at high power levels. I should know how balanced the car is in a couple weeks after the next autocross event.
Ya know, now that I think of it I believe the 86 has quite a different set up that the M030
When Tom would nail the gas in his car the rear would almost touch the ground but of course he also had a bit more power going on there
Old 07-06-2014, 10:57 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Ya know, now that I think of it I believe the 86 has quite a different set up that the M030
When Tom would nail the gas in his car the rear would almost touch the ground but of course he also had a bit more power going on there
Yep, I did this to help out at the track and really discovered that is helps a great deal in managing my power. If you have a high HP build you should consider stiffening things up a bit. One downside may be less grip at the strip and that only really matters to one guy
Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
The power flex stuff is what he warned against in his thread though. I have polyurethane bushings on all of my turbo ricers and he is exactly right about the greasing and squeaking. Honestly, i noticed almost no difference going from the stock rubber to the poly other than the annoying squeaking. If you recall I swapped about 7 sets of brake pads to get rid of the squealing, Ha! . Even if his up graded rubber units are expensive I am willing to pay if performance improves with no annoying squeaks. Remember mine is a daily driver. Thanks for the Clark's post reading now.
I had full delrin bushings on a previous car and it squeaked pretty bad until I added some white lithium grease to all of them. No squeaks for over a year, then I parted the car. I'd imagine you could do the same with poly.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:20 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
I had full delrin bushings on a previous car and it squeaked pretty bad until I added some white lithium grease to all of them. No squeaks for over a year, then I parted the car. I'd imagine you could do the same with poly.
Also, you can add grease fittings like shown at Elephant Racing:

http://www.elephantracing.com/projec...ngplatediy.htm

Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I had those Elephant Poly Bronze bushings and they were also pretty squeeky. Had to be greased pretty often. Didn't bother me but I think for a nice road car it could get a bit annoying.

Stiffening up the suspension will make the world of difference on the road and track.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Really like the combo. Seems like a good compromise for a street/DE car. I need a long trip to do a proper comparison but thus far I really like it. Does not feel harsh. With the old OEM spring rates, I felt quite a bit of front end lift when getting into the power and that is gone now. I never really realized how much this influenced the car until I changed it. The car is more stable under heavy load with this setup and I feel WAY more confident at high power levels . I should know how balanced the car is in a couple weeks after the next autocross event.
How is it on rough roads/washboard (if youve found any since the changeover)?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:31 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I had those Elephant Poly Bronze bushings and they were also pretty squeeky. Had to be greased pretty often. Didn't bother me but I think for a nice road car it could get a bit annoying.
Never had a single squeak out of my Polybronze bushes in 50,000km. If you go this way, I would recommend SKF LGEV2 grease.

(don't get it on your clothes...)

http://www.skf.com/group/products/lu...nts/index.html

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Had a great weekend. Took the 951 up to Road Atlanta and worked pit crew for my neighbor Jon Gearhart who races SCCA. He has several 951 race cars and this weekend he set the SCCA track record for his class in one of his 951's. About 30 cars in his class and his was the only 951.

Took a long drive (3 hrs) with my wife and still really like the suspension setup. I really think it is a great compromise setup for the street. My Wife took a nap in the car so that tells you it not overly harsh. I definitely have less traction under heavy acceleration as it is noticeably easier to break the tires loose in 2nd and 3rd due to significantly reduced squat.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:59 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Be interesting to hear Jon's impression of your car should he get the opportunity to drive it Shawn.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a great weekend. Took the 951 up to Road Atlanta and worked pit crew for my neighbor Jon Gearhart who races SCCA. He has several 951 race cars and this weekend he set the SCCA track record for his class in one of his 951's. About 30 cars in his class and his was the only 951.

Took a long drive (3 hrs) with my wife and still really like the suspension setup. I really think it is a great compromise setup for the street. My Wife took a nap in the car so that tells you it not overly harsh. I definitely have less traction under heavy acceleration as it is noticeably easier to break the tires loose in 2nd and 3rd due to significantly reduced squat.
Good to hear, I'm almost done with my 29mm Tbar and 325lb coils. I should be a little stiffer than you.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:31 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Great weekend in the 951!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:01 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome video, looks like a great setup and a nice drive!

Quick Reply: Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build