Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2005 Ford GT40 vs. 1988 951S

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:20 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
You're the one who was "not impressed" with 2.7l turbos.....

I'm not impressed with "your" gallardo.... From what I've seen you would not even be able to keep up with me at stock boost levels let alone any real power.

When "you" have an underground car then come in all high and mighty...until then you should understand that your car is very slow in comparison to a reasonable 944 t....
The thread says nothing about a modified 951. I did not say if I have a stock Gallardo.

I do understand that my Gallardo is faster than a 944 turbo, at least the stock ones I have driven. If you have a 500 hp 944 turbo, I can see how the car can be as fast if not faster than a gallardo in stock form. But the same argument can be made about a civic mod to beat a gallardo.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The thread says nothing about a modified 951. I did not say if I have a stock Gallardo
That was my bad. Should have listed 3L in the title but from the onset, I did mentioned that mine was not stock.

Did a simulated 60-100mph run tonight on the mostly empty hwy. Very unscientific, after dinner, somewhat cooler temp ( still 85 deg), 1/2 tank, slight up hill, wife doing the cell phone stop watch thing while watching the speedometer- 4th gear pull at just over 5 secs. I too would take the difference in price point and would rather invest it for retirement. Most of us would agree that the reason that we own/owned one is/was because of practicality, simple good looks, well balanced, and relatively cheap to own.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My apoplogies for being well..a dick.

I guess the comment regarding "2.7 turbos" really struck me as off because generally speaking, if it was in fact a "2.7" rather than a stockish 2.5 I would assume the ancilleries would also be up to par. this would generally create a car well over 400 rwhp.

I am also going off of what I have personally witnessed and what I personally run.

The Gallardos I've seen run under 105 whereas I run around 125.

Anyway, I do like the cars and, modified they are are the top of the speed chain.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
That was my bad. Should have listed 3L in the title but from the onset, I did mentioned that mine was not stock.

Did a simulated 60-100mph run tonight on the mostly empty hwy. Very unscientific, after dinner, somewhat cooler temp ( still 85 deg), 1/2 tank, slight up hill, wife doing the cell phone stop watch thing while watching the speedometer- 4th gear pull at just over 5 secs. I too would take the difference in price point and would rather invest it for retirement. Most of us would agree that the reason that we own/owned one is/was because of practicality, simple good looks, well balanced, and relatively cheap to own.
Wouldn't you be doing that in third gear, no?
Good test, though
Old 09-02-2012, 03:27 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
The thread says nothing about a modified 951. I did not say if I have a stock Gallardo.

I do understand that my Gallardo is faster than a 944 turbo, at least the stock ones I have driven. If you have a 500 hp 944 turbo, I can see how the car can be as fast if not faster than a gallardo in stock form. But the same argument can be made about a civic mod to beat a gallardo.
That's when a little education helps, 951's unlike civics, were originally designed from a race car, maybe some Porsche history will help. A lot of our guys are professional race car drivers wining competitions all over the world in their respective classes. For a 25 year old four banger the 951 does well even against new GT3 cup cars. But don't be fooled by this poor man's Porsche, there are examples of 50k, 100k and even more money than that and to keep up with maintenance you need to have a salary equal if not more than a Bell's councilman, our members include engineers, doctors, college students, wealthy business men and infamous disgraced councilmembers as well.

Is okay to be wealthy and arrogant but when you add ignorance to the equation it does look bad.

Take care

lart
Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Wouldn't you be doing that in third gear, no?
I supposed but was just in the moment thing and didn't want the wife to barf up dinner on my nicely restored sport seats and 3rd gear might have done that. The speedometer is currently acting up a bit...mostly my fault while cleaning it so again, not very exact measurement but just a ball park. I supposed a 3rd gear pull will yield slightly better time. I did a 60-120 pull too and got about 10.5 secs but in 5th rolling on so not really attacking it.

Is okay to be wealthy and arrogant but when you add ignorance to the equation it does look bad.
I concur. Civic is an FD vehicle and no matter what monies you throw at it, at the end of the day, it is still a honda that's why I stopped messing with it a long time ago. It's great as a DD though. If you do spent the money to make 500+ horses out of a honda, I doubt it will be very streetable nor resemble anything like factory. Yes they can be made to run very quick down the 1320 but it's not even in the same league as the P-car with all the history, prestige, and a marque name attributed to it.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:14 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford GT's are great. Gallardo's are awesome. But this is the 951 board. We're a little prejudice that way.

And there is one Honda that I made 500 crank hp. Loved it. Drove like an accord mostly and handled like a dedicated race car. I miss my NSX. But I really love the car I'm about to finish. It is also street legal, but not really one that should be driven on it. It should beat 99% of any car you bring to me from 60-150. Yes, including the Veyron Super Sport. 3.3lbs per hp vs 4.0 But I'd rather have the Super sport.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here's a list showing how they configure power to weight via our local Porsche club but which I assume is from the factory. Have fun figuring out where your car sits by comparison.
You will have to convert for imperial measurements. Power is at the crank, so easy enough to convert to hp.

http://www.pcnsw.com.au/PorscheClubs...iclelistV3.pdf
Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
If that's your garage you can do whatever you want clearly. Why not make a super 951 to add to your stable.
That's a friend's garage (and his real Mk I Ford GT) in the background. And I think the 951 I was lucky enough to buy 25 years ago is plenty "super" already, although certainly many other folks have modded their 951's to be MUCH faster.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

And there is one Honda that I made 500 crank hp. Loved it. Drove like an accord mostly and handled like a dedicated race car. I miss my NSX. But I really love the car I'm about to finish. It is also street legal, but not really one that should be driven on it. It should beat 99% of any car you bring to me from 60-150. Yes, including the Veyron Super Sport. 3.3lbs per hp vs 4.0 But I'd rather have the Super sport.
Now there is one Honda that is worthy of some recognition. The new NSX to be coming out in 2015 may worth taking a closer look. I couldn't afford the new 918 hybrid super car but if Honda price this one right, the 2015 NSX should be a hot seller.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:18 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for your thoughtful responses. I mean no disrespect to 951 owners. I am sure you know a lot about 951 than I do, being that I am a 996 and 944 S2 owner myself. cheers
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Here's a list showing how they configure power to weight via our local Porsche club but which I assume is from the factory. Have fun figuring out where your car sits by comparison.
You will have to convert for imperial measurements. Power is at the crank, so easy enough to convert to hp.

http://www.pcnsw.com.au/PorscheClubs...iclelistV3.pdf
Thanks for the link Patrick. Something to peruse through and compare data from time to time.

Thanks all for your thoughtful responses. I mean no disrespect to 951 owners. I am sure you know a lot about 951 than I do, being that I am a 996 and 944 S2 owner myself. cheers
No harm no foul. We are just car guys after all. Once in a while, at least for me, I do enjoy a good simulation story and shoot the breeze.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:45 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok well taking it up again. I give high props to the Ford GT(yep I knew about the oversite with the name..oops on Ford!)
There is one area in which even a modded 951 3.0 and all will fail short! It's already been touched on when someone mentioned a paddle shifter. The slow heavy shifting, takes to much time,shift kit and all. A modded 3.0 can meet most of the Super car spec's ie 0 to 60 under 5 sec's, 11 sec quater mile and 1 g cornering all a pice of cake! And lesser cars can meet some of these.

But... drum roll please! 200 MPH top end... not so much? That seems to be the holy grail of moddom( is that a word) and to ate I don't think anyone has achived it?

Sooo...carry on!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:41 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
But... drum roll please! 200 MPH top end... not so much? That seems to be the holy grail of moddom( is that a word) and to ate I don't think anyone has achived it?
Sooo...carry on!
Won't be me. Not enough gear to hit it, and absolutely no desire to do it.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These threads are just sad. Enjoy your car for what it is and stop trying to make it something it's not. It's not fast, its not modern and no it won't beat a Ford GT in any type of racing. On 22psi my car was well north of 400 with the built motor and V3 kit and I'd of gotten raped by even a stock Ford GT. I know of a few in the DFW area that would put a hurting on the fastest 944's in the country. Why? Because the freggin car isn't fast anymore. Lmao at 380hp or 440hp in a 3k lb car. I recently borrowed a friends bolt on V making 580 550, because I'm interested in those cars and it would have killed my car making 150hp less weighing 2750lbs. It also has things like nav, bluetooth, heated/cooled seats, panaramic roof, etc.

The 944 is a great car for what it is, but are people seriously arguing that a car that can be bought for 5k comes with 220hp stock and is 25 years old is honestly anywhere near the performance or comfort of a modern sports car, sports sedan or gasp** a modern day supercar is? Seriously?

The new Shelby comes to mind. I'm not a mustang fan, but damn 662hp and a factory warranty is hard to beat(buddies put 608hp at the rear stock). Oh wait a 3L 944 making 460hp that hasn't blown up yet would smoke it, I digress. Car technology has come a long way in 3 decades since the 944's creation. Enjoy your car and stop trying to compare performance wise to something built today, it doesn't.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ford GT40 vs. 1988 951S