Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2005 Ford GT40 vs. 1988 951S

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:57 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

944 turbos are a hellishly slow money sink compared to everything else out there these days. But, I still like them.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
Take another look – I didn't say that guys with checkbooks are not “enthusiast”, they are. So are collectors that never drive their cars and so are the concurs guys and the loud stereo guys – they all are enthusiast. My definition of a ‘Car Guy’ is pretty handy because I get to define it! ‘Car Guys’ are the guys that work on their own cars, learn about what really works and enjoy building almost as much as driving. A real ‘Car Guy’ appreciates effort over expenditure. ‘Car Guys’ take pride in expressing themselves in their creations – yes, not all can build from scratch, that’s not a requirement, but they can select the right parts and assembly the final product. To your point about my customers – 90% do their own engine installs.

They have bolt on mods for that!
Well I meet a few of those criteria, but not all of them. I love to find out what works, and I certainly appreciate craftsmanship and effort. I don't however love doing the work myself so I guess I'm not a car guy by your definition.

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Look, you are probably a nice guy and no doubt a car enthusiast. But to come on my thread and pretty much stopped short of calling me a liar like you know all there is to know about our cars is not how I would envision you, even not knowing you, being a nice guy with a soft heart for 968. You didn't just call my story bs, you also indirectly call out many other builders on here too and call their product/customers bs, so I can't imagine that that is appreciated and contributing to this forum. I do hope you come back and build a real nice 968 so that I can come on your thread and bash it...j/k. No, I would offer you positive feedback when I can and encourage you to see it through...to keep the spirit alive and well.
I do not believe your story. but I thought we all knew that. I do not think a 380hp 951 has a shot in hell at running with a Ford GT, but that's besides the point. The posts following and discussion were very polarized as anyone would expect giving heavy bias towards a platform that quite frankly is tortoise hair slow when compared to fast sports cars of today. That isn't to say the 951 is a bad car, I think they are fun cars, but they aren't fast cars in my opinion. Regardless of what accounts as fast for you is irrelevant. I was mostly saying there is no way in hell your running with a Ford GT and considering I had a 944 that was making decent power for the platform and I repeatedly beat on it I'd say I have a fair understanding of what they're capable of.

You can think its me bashing you, that I don't respect the 944, that I have a bad taste in my mouth, that I have a small *****, that I'm not a true car guy, or I smell funny. I think I've earned my stripes when it comes to modded cars and what's out there and believe my opinion is relevant to a discussion about what is and isn't with these cars. It isn't and never will be personal.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

John I recognise that these threads irk you and from time to time you post on them. I think the term you’ve used many times is that it’s Subjective. I’m guessing you mean ‘Relative’ not ‘Retaliative’ in the context of your sentences? Being subjective is what it’s all about. In all the threads you’ve come onto regarding these circumstances, I don’t recall anyone saying their cars are superior to the modern day Supercars. Not once. What they might have said is that they were able to run with ‘Car X’ on the track or in many cases, the street. This may be true. There’s no way of verifying if the driver of those Supercars were really trying, but to your point, at least on paper we stand no chance. Back to Subjective though. I think if you ran a one of these guy’s (Sid, Chris, Duke, Corleone, Thom, Tom, Sean, George, Joe etc,etc…) cars on a roll from say 50mph – 120 mph they would stand up to a lot of Supercars very well. In fact they’d beat most off the shelf Supercars. Then go to the track and play. To Chris’ point not many guys want to push their Supercars on the track, so it’s subjective and relative but you can only play what’s in front of you.
Sure, if you take a F.GT and put twin turbos on it, or Lambo, or whatever, then yes, we’re toast but again, I think you have to use the $$ side of things to redress the balance. All of these cars cost a lot of money. So does building a top end 951…(in most cases, barring Sid) but nowhere near the $200k+ that these Supercars cost and then to buy some of the TT kits for them is another $30-$50k fitted. Nevertheless, nobody thinks the 951 is the best car in the world. Not quite sure why you keep saying this?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:38 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 333pg333
John I recognise that these threads irk you and from time to time you post on them. I think the term you’ve used many times is that it’s Subjective. I’m guessing you mean ‘Relative’ not ‘Retaliative’ in the context of your sentences? Being subjective is what it’s all about. In all the threads you’ve come onto regarding these circumstances, I don’t recall anyone saying their cars are superior to the modern day Supercars. Not once. What they might have said is that they were able to run with ‘Car X’ on the track or in many cases, the street. This may be true. There’s no way of verifying if the driver of those Supercars were really trying, but to your point, at least on paper we stand no chance. Back to Subjective though. I think if you ran a one of these guy’s (Sid, Chris, Duke, Corleone, Thom, Tom, Sean, George, Joe etc,etc…) cars on a roll from say 50mph – 120 mph they would stand up to a lot of Supercars very well. In fact they’d beat most off the shelf Supercars. Then go to the track and play. To Chris’ point not many guys want to push their Supercars on the track, so it’s subjective and relative but you can only play what’s in front of you.
Sure, if you take a F.GT and put twin turbos on it, or Lambo, or whatever, then yes, we’re toast but again, I think you have to use the $$ side of things to redress the balance. All of these cars cost a lot of money. So does building a top end 951…(in most cases, barring Sid) but nowhere near the $200k+ that these Supercars cost and then to buy some of the TT kits for them is another $30-$50k fitted. Nevertheless, nobody thinks the 951 is the best car in the world. Not quite sure why you keep saying this?
I feel like subjective is the correct term when someone is taking something that isn't quantifiable and saying it is. i.e. personal taste, style, modding choice, financial build/platform choice, etc.

I do not think even the highest hp 944's on this board would even run with a run of the mill D1 LS3 vette that could be built for 40-50k much less the high end stuff that you just spoke about. There are several runway events out there that would allow us to test this, but really were splitting hairs here now. The OP post IMO is bs and I stated so. This discussion has veered so far off course now we really don't have anything to debate about. Again I love the 944 and what it can do with a modest budget, but I don't consider it fast by today's standards. If someone on here does then that's okay we can all have different opinions. What isn't I don't feel up for debate is a street tuned 380hp 944 staying in 5th gear and running with a Ford GT that's really in it.

As far as real racing that involves turns Mark runs his Ford GT constantly out at MSR and ECR. There are many owners of high end cars that run them and aren't afraid to break them. Thus my point that anyone speaking in generalities to "this build" or "that build" is silly and un-founded. If the OP had said
"hey I ran into a Ford GT on the highway and we had some fun" you never would have heard me call BS. Your right I'm always mixed up in these type threads over the years and I'd like to say I'm better about it, but when people BS and then it becomes a dog pile something about it just always bothered me. Especially given most people's scope is barely beyond their driveway and what their limited budget allows them to get involved in.

I prolly had 60-65k tied up in that last 944 throughout ownership and some might say that I was stupid for doing so. Or that I could build xyz for so much cheaper yada yada yada. I never bought into the silly money argument and I think it's stupid. People spend their money how they see fit and we shouldn't judge others negatively just to make ourselves feel better about how we spend our money. Too many people judge someone who writes a check, or has nice things and that's unfortunate. We are all in this hobby and we all love cars. Just because I write a check and you build yours in your driveway doesn't make you more of a car guy than me. I'd happily buy the beer and pizza at a wrenching party and give support where I could. lmao wait a minute I have done that come to think of it.... haha
Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not believe your story. but I thought we all knew that. I do not think a 380hp 951 has a shot in hell at running with a Ford GT, but that's besides the point. The posts following and discussion were very polarized as anyone would expect giving heavy bias towards a platform that quite frankly is tortoise hair slow when compared to fast sports cars of today. That isn't to say the 951 is a bad car, I think they are fun cars, but they aren't fast cars in my opinion. Regardless of what accounts as fast for you is irrelevant. I was mostly saying there is no way in hell your running with a Ford GT and considering I had a 944 that was making decent power for the platform and I repeatedly beat on it I'd say I have a far understanding of what they're capable of.

You can think its me bashing you, that I don't respect the 944, that I have a bad taste in my mouth, that I have a small *****, that I'm not a true car guy, or I smell funny. I think I've earned my stripes when it comes to modded cars and what's out there and believe my opinion is relevant to a discussion about what is and isn't with these cars. It isn't and never will be personal.
Ok so nothing personal. point taken. You keep saying 380hp- are you saying my 3L is only making approx 300 to the wheels? Who fork up $20K into an engine and mods and making only 300rwhp? That would be bs if not stupid. Let me continue with my story...After we have our exchange of accelerations and by this time, the Ford GT driver probably figured out that we were heading to the same gathering (the car show's proceeds were for charity btw, so it was for a good cause), the driver unexpectedly put on his blinker and veered off to another direction. Who knows, he may need to stop for breakfast with his wife, refuel (need more fuel after spirited run with 951?), figured that we are going the same way so may be had enough? Who knows. So got to the destination first and 15 minutes later, he came strolling in. Clearly, he can see my car parked in the 2nd row and in the same row toward the middle are 3 other Ford GTs. The driver did not even turn towards us, he kept going to a more secluded place and parked by himself next to some lesser "sport car". I thought this was a little strange because if I were him, I'd want to park next to all my super car buddies. So, this is just conjecture from me, but I feel that he was somewhat, if not slightly embarrassed- maybe ego bruised just a little perhaps? I am just saying...Again, just a bs story so take it with a grain of sea salt.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Nevertheless, nobody thinks the 951 is the best car in the world.
What???? serious this is news to me.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok so nothing personal. point taken. You keep saying 380hp- are you saying my 3L is only making approx 300 to the wheels? Who fork up $20K into an engine and mods and making only 300rwhp? That would be bs if not stupid. Let me continue with my story...After we have our exchange of accelerations and by this time, the Ford GT driver probably figured out that we were heading to the same gathering (the car show's proceeds were for charity btw, so it was for a good cause), the driver unexpectedly put on his blinker and veered off to another direction. Who knows, he may need to stop for breakfast with his wife, refuel (need more fuel after spirited run with 951?), figured that we are going the same way so may be had enough? Who knows. So got to the destination first and 15 minutes later, he came strolling in. Clearly, he can see my car parked in the 2nd row and in the same row toward the middle are 3 other Ford GTs. The driver did not even turn towards us, he kept going to a more secluded place and parked by himself next to some lesser "sport car". I thought this was a little strange because if I were him, I'd want to park next to all my super car buddies. So, this is just conjecture from me, but I feel that he was somewhat, if not slightly embarrassed- maybe ego bruised just a little perhaps? I am just saying...Again, just a bs story so take it with a grain of sea salt.
If I'm not correctly quoting your hp then please correct me. I thought you said your car was making 380rear wheel hp. Again as I stated earlier I don't ever quote flywheel hp whats the point after all? All I ever care about is what it's making at the tires. So when I throw out a hp number its always wheel hp not flywheel.

I never had mine dyno'd, but similar setups were lower 400's so I'd say that's a safe bet. It was a neat car and made a lot of cool sounds at 22psi hell even bolt on stock motor/turbo it was a neat car to me. I loved how it shot flames and I loved the sounds it made, but I never thought it was fast. It was a childhood dream car of mine and something I didn't mind sinking time/money into. The only reason I got rid of it was because I wouldn't have much of a place to park/drive it and I was about to get crazy with the next build phase after the front end was crunch city(accident).

Originally Posted by lart951
You never did answer me. You still keeping these things alive?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:18 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
If I'm not correctly quoting your hp then please correct me. I thought you said your car was making 380rear wheel hp. Again as I stated earlier I don't ever quote flywheel hp whats the point after all? All I ever care about is what it's making at the tires. So when I throw out a hp number its always wheel hp not flywheel.

I never had mine dyno'd, but similar setups were lower 400's so I'd say that's a safe bet. It was a neat car and made a lot of cool sounds at 22psi hell even bolt on stock motor/turbo it was a neat car to me. I loved how it shot flames and I loved the sounds it made, but I never thought it was fast. It was a childhood dream car of mine and something I didn't mind sinking time/money into. The only reason I got rid of it was because I wouldn't have much of a place to park/drive it and I was about to get crazy with the next build phase after the front end was crunch city(accident).

You never did answer me. You still keeping these things alive?

Sure check this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-pictures.html
Old 09-04-2012, 03:34 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Looks like you and your boys are out having a blast. That's awesome Never thought I'd see the day you actually started saving these things.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I remembered seeing your 951 with a 968 rear conversion no? It looks fast but let me tell you, a higher displacement motor will be faster at similar hp level- there is just more tq under the curve especially in the mid-range. This is what enabled me to keep up with the Ford GT, no bs here. I was not racing him and it wasn't my intention from the get go. He on the other hand was just showing off and really was into it. We were moving at 10 over and he just shoots by in all the glory. So I am pretty certain he took off like he meant it and let up only when it was all too certain that he would have had to keep his foot in it much longer because I was riding his tail lamps. So it wasn't racing so yeah, you could call it a spirited run although he didn't seem to be happy afterwards so who knows. I am sure he and his wife was shocked and we were in awe- shock and awe, so it's all good fun.

Wait a sec., before I continue, I recall of may be on your "accident" thread a while back, and wished you well in your recovery and you come on my thread and bash me- how nice, John. This is how you return a favor to your fellow rennlister?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:14 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

I think I remembered seeing your 951 with a 968 rear conversion no? It looks fast but let me tell you, a higher displacement motor will be faster at similar hp level- there is just more tq under the curve especially in the mid-range. This is what enabled me to keep up with the Ford GT, no bs here. I was not racing him and it wasn't my intention from the get go. He on the other hand was just showing off and really was into it. We were moving at 10 over and he just shoots by in all the glory. So I am pretty certain he took off like he meant it and let up only when it was all too certain that he would have had to keep his foot in it much longer because I was riding his tail lamps. So it wasn't racing so yeah, you could call it a spirited run although he didn't seem to be happy afterwards so who knows. I am sure he and his wife was shocked and we were in awe- shock and awe, so it's all good fun.

Wait a sec., before I continue, I recall of may be on your "accident" thread a while back, and wished you well in your recovery and you come on my thread and bash me- how nice, John. This is how you return a favor to your fellow rennlister?
No it wasn't fast, and no your car making 30-50 less hp isn't fast either(IMO). I'm well aware of what .5ltrs more will do as far as powerband again your 380hp 3L isn't running with a Ford GT that's actually racing. I agree all in good fun so just leave it as a nice run in with a great car and call it that. Why bs? No he wasn't in it to win it. He was just ****ing around. Does it really matter that I know your story is BS? If you feel so strongly about it go find that car and run it for real and put it on videotape. Then no one would be able to call BS on you. I find it laughable that you post a street racing story that's a makeshift race between you and a Ford GT in traffic on a way to a car show and your actually offended that someone else has an opposing opinion.

Wished me well in my recovery? Your confusing me with someone else. My accident wasn't serious, it just knocked around the delicate front end pieces of the car. Which as most know once those gaps become mis-asligned it's nearly impossible to get them to match up right again. Exactly how am I treating you? You seem to be the one worked up not me. If you think you beat him great, I'm just some random dude on the internet.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
I feel like subjective is the correct term when someone is taking something that isn't quantifiable and saying it is. i.e. personal taste, style, modding choice, financial build/platform choice, etc.

I do not think even the highest hp 944's on this board would even run with a run of the mill D1 LS3 vette that could be built for 40-50k much less the high end stuff that you just spoke about. There are several runway events out there that would allow us to test this, but really were splitting hairs here now. The OP post IMO is bs and I stated so. This discussion has veered so far off course now we really don't have anything to debate about. Again I love the 944 and what it can do with a modest budget, but I don't consider it fast by today's standards. If someone on here does then that's okay we can all have different opinions. What isn't I don't feel up for debate is a street tuned 380hp 944 staying in 5th gear and running with a Ford GT that's really in it.

As far as real racing that involves turns Mark runs his Ford GT constantly out at MSR and ECR. There are many owners of high end cars that run them and aren't afraid to break them. Thus my point that anyone speaking in generalities to "this build" or "that build" is silly and un-founded. If the OP had said
"hey I ran into a Ford GT on the highway and we had some fun" you never would have heard me call BS. Your right I'm always mixed up in these type threads over the years and I'd like to say I'm better about it, but when people BS and then it becomes a dog pile something about it just always bothered me. Especially given most people's scope is barely beyond their driveway and what their limited budget allows them to get involved in.

I prolly had 60-65k tied up in that last 944 throughout ownership and some might say that I was stupid for doing so. Or that I could build xyz for so much cheaper yada yada yada. I never bought into the silly money argument and I think it's stupid. People spend their money how they see fit and we shouldn't judge others negatively just to make ourselves feel better about how we spend our money. Too many people judge someone who writes a check, or has nice things and that's unfortunate. We are all in this hobby and we all love cars. Just because I write a check and you build yours in your driveway doesn't make you more of a car guy than me. I'd happily buy the beer and pizza at a wrenching party and give support where I could. lmao wait a minute I have done that come to think of it.... haha
As you say, this thread's gone off the rails some time ago, but then again it's the internet. So really doesn't matter what we all write.

I know you don't consider the $ thing relative, but I have to say it is. Otherwise what's the point of comparing a $5k-$40k 951 (trying to cover all bases) with a $150-$250k car? You then talk about a D1 LS3 for what, $40k. So now we're comparing a what, 6 or 7L car with forced induction. So is that what it takes to compare dollar for dollar to beat a high output 951? Seems like taking a gun to a knife fight. As the 951 starts off as an i4 turbo car and a Vette starts off as a high capacity n/a car, that in itself seems like a fair fight. Give them a supercharger and I'm sure they'd win. Never been in any of these sorts of cars so I have no idea but I'd have to assume it's true enough.

Anyway, this is all a bit of forum guff. Just like people love their Mini Coopers or Fiat Topolinos or sewing machines and stamps...we love our 951s with all their foibles. Hand me the keys to an Aventador and I'll swap gladly though.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

OK, I guess I have to point out the obvious – if all you care about is straight line acceleration then the 944 is the wrong car for you. I actually feel bad for you because you missed the best part of the car, the handling. Sure, we talk about engines and horsepower on this forum - but that is not the point of a 944. It’s about the balance and handling.

I do have to add that, in my humble opinion, street racing requires almost no driving skill (unless you have to swerve around a puppy wandering in the street!). It really should be call Pro SDM (Street D*ck Measuring). Somebody honks, waves or flashes their lights and then you floor it…..weeee. Don’t get me wrong – I am not one of those ‘don’t ever drive fast safety *****, far from it. Playing around with cars is fun….but Pro SDM ain’t racing and it doesn’t require any great driving skills.

Back to the original story – I am sure it happened as it was portrayed – after playing with cars for many years you realize that there are a lot of people that have no business driving a ‘super car’ actually own them. I helped out a Ford GT owner a couple of years ago that was an ‘enthusiast’ - he was the mildest guy you could imagine and did not like to drive over 60….he loved his GT but never used it anywhere near its capabilities. I would guess that he spent more on wax than gas. All you need to own a ‘super car’ is the ability to write a check. Owning one does not make you a better driver; in most cases it makes you a worse driver. I think that’s what the original poster came across – a nice car with a skill-less driver. The story did not pick on the GT at all, in fact it was obvious that he appreciated it, the GT owner on the other hand, did not come across as a ‘Car Guy’!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:
Nevertheless, nobody thinks the 951 is the best car in the world.

Fixed it for you Lart -
Nevertheless, everybody thinks the 951 is the best parts car in the world.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas John!!! Been too long since we have seen some kills of yours from back in the day and you and I getting bashed for our reckless street racing. Lol Good times.

Are you still in NY or back in TX.

To the OP based on the GT owners actions at the show I would agree he might have had his tail between his legs. I know if it were me I would have made it a point to inform you if I "was just toying with you". He went and parked in the corner and didn't say a word.

Oh also everyone needs to remember hp means very little when many modern high hp cars are VERY heavy. Power to weight means everything. Which is why a 100hp sport bike can smoke 90% of all cars on the road.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ford GT40 vs. 1988 951S