2005 Ford GT40 vs. 1988 951S

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2005 Ford GT40 vs. 1988 951S

This was all simulated of course

I was with the wife going to a car show over the weekend. After getting some gas (3/4 tank), we were merging onto the highway and can't help but noticed a bright red Ford GT40 zooming by in the left lane. Naturally, I had to catch up and intended to wave as I had a hunch he was going to the show as well- the older gentleman didn't even look my way as I was next to him. He had his game face on, was wearing a red cap and shades and was looking dead straight ahead with 2 hands on the wheels. I was like "uh oh, I've seen this look before". Obviously he was in a more superior vehicle...in price, displacement and possibly HP so I don't blame him. Since he didn't acknowledge, I sped up and left him behind thinking maybe he's just not interested and mind his business. Nope, he pulled in behind me.

I approached slower traffic on the left lane, and by this time, he was following me for a couple of miles. We both were doing about 75 on a 65 limit, coming up on slower traffic. I could have pass and maintain the lead but I decided to let up a little bit and stayed behind the slower car. As soon as I look up in the mirror, the guy was already making the move! I guessed he wanted to show us what he got and passed us in a flurry, pedal-to-the-metal including the slower car in front of us and even cut the slower car off, no signalling to pass, in a show of American muscle. So this was what the jerk was waiting for...showing off!

I calmly looked over my wife and say, you see that? We both agreed that it sounded nice and kind of cool looking going by but the driver was kind of rude. By this time, I made the pass too and pulled in behind him and following him for several miles. We were just kind of enjoy the ride and view- I mean how often do you run into a Ford GT40 right? He probably thinking, yeah I showed them super-car-wanna-be-kids.

Traffic once again slow down in front of the GT40. The GT40 driver now was kind of weaving and harassing the slower car to move over, showing his impatience cause' he super car! The slower car turned on the blinker to mover over cause' who want a GT40 tailgating your *** as it could look quite intimidating right? But I also knew that here's was my chance at redemption.

As expected, even before the slower car completely moved over the the right lane, the GT40 was already on the right pedal. In anticipating his move, and I could see no traffic ahead for several miles, I was matching him with my right foot- deciding to keep it in 5th. Instantly, the GT40 took off and almost as instantly, every needle on my gauges went to the right. I was cruising at roughly 2700 rpm and in a blink of an eye, it was at climbing past 3400 rpm- I felt the rear end squatted. I briefly looked down and saw 20 psi and my wife was pinned back to the seat. Quickly looking up, I expected the GT40 to walk me like the Enzo did before the 3L build...but lo and behold, it didn't! In fact, I had to let off a split second because the darn thing came up too fast. But as the GT40 was hitting its stride at about RIGHT NOW, I was also in the meat of my power band! By now, I had lost track of my read-outs and both of my hands were on the sport steering wheel. We easily hit a simulated 120 mph in those 5 secs or so. Did I win? No not really. But I will tell you that the old man HAD to move over to the slower lane as he couldn't out accelerate us- he was now the slower vehicle. I slowed down a tad as I was going by him to catch a glimpsed of not so much defeat but wasn't exactly ecstatic either, but kind of respect for what he just experienced himself.

For the next 15 minutes or so before he turned off to make a stop or go a different route, this time signalling, he mostly followed us at a respectful distant. On 1 or 2 occasions when I let him go by, this time, it was much more of the respectful kind of pass- we can't even hear his engine/exhaust roar, much more pleasant, so that was appreciated.

Some specs on GT40

3400 lbs
500HP / 500tq
5.4L Supercharged
11.8 1/4, 123 mph
190 mph top speed
$140,000 msrp
Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MMMMMOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM
KaiKai951S
Instructor

Mud,

That was an awesome "Simulated" story Lol. Especially made better because I too have an 88 Turbo S. Is your car stock or did you do any work to it?
It also reminded me of a time in college when I was driving my mildly modified 1970 BMW 2002, was late as hell for a flight hom and passed a Mustang 5.0 on tho outside of a long sweeping right hander goiung from one Highway to another about 10 minutes from the BMW factory in Spartanburg. Mid way through he opened up and so did I. The second barrel on my weber screamed, but alpinas/khumos held the road and my recaro held me. He just couldn't overtake untill we got to the straight of course. By that time the fun was gone and worry of missing my flight, and no Thanksgiving turkey returned. The 5.0 pulled up and gave me a quick thumbs up before he floored it and took off, but for a lil bit there it was pretty sweet being in the 15yr older underpowered faster car.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Oh I hear ya. It's a nice feeling to know that with our P-cars, we can give many of the more modern super cars a run for their money. Factory 951S would not stand a chance as the GT40 is double on both hp/tq. Mines is a 3L 8V with MID Darton Sleeved block from Chris White. I can only imagine that it would run even better with the modern day electronics. On pump 93, I was making 380 to the rubbers. Looking to convert to E85 at some point so I can boost to 25 like Josh, Sid and some other with major cajones on here.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for the little dog (more or less 3.0 and all) but I bet he will show more respect if he ever pulls up on another 951!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:02 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Hey needless to say, at that moment, amongst other things that were going on, I was thinking of you guys and wanted to represent the rare breed. I was also the only 944 at the show. None 928 that I could see but plenty 911s and a few Caymans. There was a 2011 911 turbo S and a GT3 RS which were a treat to see in one place that is not a dealership. I posted some links and vids on another post. The funny thing is the GT40 had a VA plate so he's somewhat local to me.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I'll bet that 3L pulls like a freight train. Plus our cars are light with little frontal area.

Is your wife a sport about these simulations??
Old 08-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Alan 91 C2
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Deleted
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

I'll bet that 3L pulls like a freight train. Plus our cars are light with little frontal area.

Is your wife a sport about these simulations??
I was surprised at how hard it pulled- I was in 5th so didn't think it could like it did to be right on his tail lamp the whole time. The wife said that she wasn't going to bail me out if I get pulled over. But no, she was a good sport.

Alan - deleted?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

LOL. Great story.

This past Saturday night, was coming back home from being up at Road America for the ALMS races. Wife and son in the car. We're almost home and come upon a new 991S cab in the right lane as we enter town. Beautiful car, sport exhaust (kinda loud and sounded GREAT!), clearly PDK the way he was going up and down the gears. Guy was kinda driving like a jerk but I assumed he was just enjoying the power on a nice cool evening.

As we got closer, my wife rolled her window down and stuck her head out the window a little bit just to admire the car. (She was in a good mood after getting to meet, twice, Patrick Dempsey...) The guy rolled up next to her and started shouting, "Wanna go? C'mon... you wanna go? Go ahead, hit it... let's go, I dare ya..." trying to egg her/me on into racing him. My wife, clueless to his obvious intent, told him excitedly, "We're just coming back from Road America!!!" He looked at her funny (clearly had NO idea WTF my wife was talking about) and took off (cutting off a few cars in the process).

The sad part of the story?

We were driving my TRUCK (a full-size Chevy Avalanche).

"Wanna go????" LOL. What a douche.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:10 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Flexing the 951 muscle! I loved the shocking look people gave me when I would run them in my 1988 951. Nice run!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Jim - Are you serious?! See, that's not cool in my book. I mean, you got a nice car, so good for you and enjoy it peacefully the way I see it. Don't have to be a jerk about it and lending a bad name to everybody else. I mean there are good drivers and enthusiasts out there for sure but there is always an a-****around every other corner is driving me crazy. Same with the GT40 dude- we were actually admiring his car but he had to be all douche bag about it so I got to put him in his place just a tad, and flexed some German muscle too. It's was just a little simulated fun so no harm all in all.

I had a similar equally simulated run with an 05-07 Cobra earlier in the year- call it a tie as well. Gave each other thumbs up and went on our way so that was cool.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find it's pretty easy and quite enjoyable to put those so called "super cars" in their place. Especially at this elevation!! It's amazing how slow some of those things can be. It also helps that my car is tuned and ready at any moment.

Great story... I've had a couple of those Aha moments this last year myself. These cars will surprise you with the right combo...
Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
I find it's pretty easy and quite enjoyable to put those so called "super cars" in their place. Especially at this elevation!! It's amazing how slow some of those things can be. It also helps that my car is tuned and ready at any moment.

Great story... I've had a couple of those Aha moments this last year myself. These cars will surprise you with the right combo...

I believe it was toddk911 that said that 951's may do good in Drag racing and also in road raing but they really shine in "ROLL ON RACING"

for those with highly modded 951's check your 80-120mph times, you'll be surprise
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Jim - Are you serious?! See, that's not cool in my book. I mean, you got a nice car, so good for you and enjoy it peacefully the way I see it. Don't have to be a jerk about it and lending a bad name to everybody else. I mean there are good drivers and enthusiasts out there for sure but there is always an a-****around every other corner is driving me crazy. Same with the GT40 dude- we were actually admiring his car but he had to be all douche bag about it so I got to put him in his place just a tad, and flexed some German muscle too. It's was just a little simulated fun so no harm all in all.

I had a similar equally simulated run with an 05-07 Cobra earlier in the year- call it a tie as well. Gave each other thumbs up and went on our way so that was cool.
Yeah sadly I'm serious. I've got a stack of "Nice Porsche!" business cards my local PCA region printed out (with our Chicago Region website address on the back) - I usually hand them out if I bump into a Porsche owner that isn't a member.

I passed on trying to get one to that guy.

Moments like that make me miss some of my old cars - turbocharged Dodge Omni, or my old Eagle Talon... or hell even my old diesel pickup. Might not have held the guy off for the entire 1/4 mile but it would have certainly given him a run for the first few hundred feet or so! Sometimes that's all you need....

Quick Reply: 2005 Ford GT40 vs. 1988 951S