Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Power increase from removing stock air box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jon Milledge got 400 hp with the stock air box on a dyno.....can't be that restrictive. It has the strong advantage of taking cool combustion air.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
I just like the "stock" look.
Same here, and since my "AFM" is 3" straight through with a MAF sensor built in, I think the bigger snorkel would a be noticeable improvement. Not as good as a cone filter, but should be close enough.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I get 365rwhp on a dynapack (a very low reading one) with the same setup as a 968 turbo S(the orange car in the pics). Would be close to 400rwhp at 16.5 psi on a Dynojet. Can't be too restrictive.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bet if he removed it, he would gain a few horsepower.
go try this. get a glass of water, now get a standard size straw and drink the water. now get 2 straws, then drink. and that became a lot easier didn't it.

same situation with the airbox.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I would prefer giving up some hp to have a clean factory look. That to me is more important than ultimate hp.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 964-C2
Must be because the afr's changed (?).
Did you have a wideband 02?

No change and I always seek for 11.5-11.8 at WOT.

Yes, I have a wideband (Zeitronix)
Old 04-10-2012, 05:20 AM
Powered By Porscha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paulyy
i bet if he removed it, he would gain a few horsepower.
go try this. get a glass of water, now get a standard size straw and drink the water. now get 2 straws, then drink. and that became a lot easier didn't it.

same situation with the airbox.
While I agree with this concept, now try drinking a glass of warm murky water with 2 straws then go back to drinking a nice glass of cold purified water through one straw. It must be a cold air intake set up in order to achieve optimum performance. Otherwise, the removal of the airbox on its own without proper routing to a cool source of air may end up costing you HP.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Powered By Porscha
While I agree with this concept, now try drinking a glass of warm murky water with 2 straws then go back to drinking a nice glass of cold purified water through one straw. It must be a cold air intake set up in order to achieve optimum performance. Otherwise, the removal of the airbox on its own without proper routing to a cool source of air may end up costing you HP.
Now that makes sense, in a way.

if you're going to take the airbox off and put a simple cone filter with an adapter to the AFM you're going to loose power. to modify the snorkel like someone has posted, is a good idea but the biggest restriction is the actual AFM. if someone makes a MAF that goes in that spot (i'm sure it's not that difficult) and puts the larger snorkel on the airbox, you'll have a huge gain in power
Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If you keep the rectangular section of the airbox where it meets AFM it will still be restrictive with a MAF.
The most restrictive part is the snorkel about halfways.

I ran the airbox on my 3.0 and it was a HUGE restriction, less so without the snorkel but enough to make a difference in spool and upper RPM breathing with a cone filter.

I also like the stock look better but it just doesn't work, at least on my engine.

Last edited by Thom; 04-10-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:45 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

if you're going to take the airbox off and put a simple cone filter with an adapter to the AFM you're going to loose power. to modify the snorkel like someone has posted, is a good idea but the biggest restriction is the actual AFM. if someone makes a MAF that goes in that spot (i'm sure it's not that difficult) and puts the larger snorkel on the airbox, you'll have a huge gain in power
My thoughts exactly!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Scivision makes such setup. That is what I use. It is able to make decent power as well. I will post some pics to show my setup.

Last edited by RajDatta; 04-10-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
This is from Nize on another P-car forum from 2008. Believe this is a dyno tested difference between MAF/MAP and snorkel and stock air box where that was the only change between runs.

"i've compared performance with the stock air box and snorkle versus just a filter attached to the compressor inlet.

the difference is significant, and it's definitely worth removing the stock air box and snorkle if you want maximum turbo performance.

all things being equal, the spoolup is about 200rpm faster without the stock afm/snorkle, but the real difference is after 4500rpm when the air restriction becomes really noticeable. the result is way more area under the curve and a gain of over 36whp.

it's obvious that most of the power and performance gains from a MAF setup is actually coming from removing the stock intake restrictions. if your mods can support it (MAP or MAF), i would highly recommend removing the stock AFM and snorkle for best performance gains."
Thanks!, just what I was looking for.
Even if the power gains would be half of that I think it's worth doing something to improve the flow.

Originally Posted by Voith
Snorkel from airbox to chasis is the most resistive part of airbox. Thats why 968 turbo S had this version:

You can buy this ETG advanced snorkel, but at 350€ its not cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...691358171.html
Looks great but the price is way off....
I'm changing to a hood with a Turbo RS style vent to make the IC more efficient and I think that removing the airbox gives even better IC air flow.

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I get 365rwhp on a dynapack (a very low reading one) with the same setup as a 968 turbo S(the orange car in the pics). Would be close to 400rwhp at 16.5 psi on a Dynojet. Can't be too restrictive.
Do you have a Naca duct intake on the hood?
Is the airbox from a 951, and is the rectangular hole to the AFM still the original size?

Originally Posted by Thom
If you keep the rectangular section of the airbox where it meets AFM it will still be restrictive with a MAF.
The most restrictive part is the snorkel about halfways.

I ran the airbox on my 3.0 and it was a HUGE restriction, less so without the snorkel but enough to make a difference in spool and upper RPM breathing with a cone filter.

I also like the stock look better but it just doesn't work, at least on my engine.
I think the best solution would be to put a cone filter inside the fender. It's strange that no one sells a kit to do that...

/Dea
Old 04-10-2012, 02:21 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Two big restriction for the airbox, one is stated above is the opening at the bottom, the other is the opening at the top where the snorkel attaches. I tried to keep the airbox but eventually the gains out way the esthetics IMPO Kevincnc managed to upgrade the AFM with a MAF very nice work but a pain I'm sure as not many others have done it. He also looked into widening the snorkel to 3" but I'm guessing it never happened because that's not where the big restriction is. At then end of the day it looks like you either make an airbox from scratch or ditch it for a cone and enjoy quicker spool and extra HP.. my02

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-pictures.html - SUPER STEALTH MAF

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...intersted.html - 3" SNORKEL
Old 04-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Although I used to be convinced that I could make the airbox work on my engine, I would now argue that where it is placed it would probably allow for not much cooler air than a cone filter in the usual place would.
With the cone filter near the fender air has less way to travel before reaching the turbo, and there is only one bend on this path. Not quite so with the airbox.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dea_944t
Thanks!, just what I was looking for.
Even if the power gains would be half of that I think it's worth doing something to improve the flow.

Looks great but the price is way off....
I'm changing to a hood with a Turbo RS style vent to make the IC more efficient and I think that removing the airbox gives even better IC air flow.

Do you have a Naca duct intake on the hood?
Is the airbox from a 951, and is the rectangular hole to the AFM still the original size?

I think the best solution would be to put a cone filter inside the fender. It's strange that no one sells a kit to do that...

/Dea
I have a factory 968 turbo S hood, so yes I do have the NACA duct that routes to the airbox snorkel.
Airbox is same as 951 airbox. I use a MAF from Scivision, which was designed to work with an airbox. It uses adapters to make a rectangular hole work with a round MAF.

Regards.
Raj

Quick Reply: Power increase from removing stock air box?