Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Power increase from removing stock air box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That super stealth MAF is awesome, but I will just run a cone filter and call it day. Yeah hot air intake.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

I still want a 3" snorkel one if it's not ridiculosly priced. I'm trying to find the manufacturer.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen some people who use a divide to block off some hot air from engine bay. At least it is blocking off the hottest part and is sealed by the hood. How effective would this actually be. I have been actually thinking about doing this, just waiting to have car running first.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrZ1
I have seen some people who use a divide to block off some hot air from engine bay. At least it is blocking off the hottest part and is sealed by the hood. How effective would this actually be. I have been actually thinking about doing this, just waiting to have car running first.
If it's the one I am thinking of then it's even worse because it's a closed space and coolant is hot!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlp
If it's the one I am thinking of then it's even worse because it's a closed space and coolant is hot!
It's not technically closed.
The hole is there from the snorkel, which air should travel through.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paulyy
It's not technically closed.
The hole is there from the snorkel, which air should travel through.
I agree that if the partition is done well for a cone filter, most of the (cool) air would probably suck through the hole rather than flow all around the coolant tank, but I don't think that anyone has done any any pressure tests for that scenario. If I did a cone filter I would build a box for it and draw air only from the hole in the fender though.

I think I found the ETG source, waiting for a reply from Germany..
Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I found their website too (entered ETG porsche into google) then used google translate, and there is no online shop front to buy the snorkel from these guys, and the ebay auction link is for an ended auction so I have sent them an email, to see if I can buy one directly, as I really want to go this route rather than cone filter.
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 AM
944Nord
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
I found their website too (entered ETG porsche into google) then used google translate, and there is no online shop front to buy the snorkel from these guys, and the ebay auction link is for an ended auction so I have sent them an email, to see if I can buy one directly, as I really want to go this route rather than cone filter.
peace
Cyberpunky
Hi,if you dont get any answer from ETG with the e-mail adress on his
homepage try this one etggissen@aol.com
Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

it'll be interesting to see a before and after dyno result or even just measure the AFM voltage to see the increase.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The AFM and air box will become a restriction when using a mid to large size turbo; the restriction is more pronounced as the boost increases.

On a car running a MAF in stealth mode, where the MAF sits in place of the AFM but keeps the factory air box in place (using a new air filter). Running around 14psi boost, when we replaced the air box with a cone filter, we saw a gain of approx 7-10rwhp with no other changes. The power curve changed across the range... Engine power was in the 290-300rwhp.

The test shows that the air box is a restriction at that particular engine/turbo/boost/flow. I attributed the cause of the restriction to be the opening between air box & MAF. The snorkel may be a restriction, but no separate test was performed to verify.

The above test is no ideal, as the MAF was getting hot air from behind the fans, however the engine lid was open so the heat effect may have been reduced.

Based on this test and results from guys running large turbos, I would conclude that the stock air box causes a restriction. Of course, the AFM has the same opening size at the factory air box and we can conclude it will also cause a restriction at higher flow numbers.

Another issue with the restrictive air box would be the pressure drop in front of the turbo which would also cause serious issues.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Another issue with the restrictive air box would be the pressure drop in front of the turbo which would also cause serious issues.
Can you please elaborate on SERIOUS issues?? Just curious.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by fast951
The AFM and air box will become a restriction when using a mid to large size turbo; the restriction is more pronounced as the boost increases.

On a car running a MAF in stealth mode, where the MAF sits in place of the AFM but keeps the factory air box in place (using a new air filter). Running around 14psi boost, when we replaced the air box with a cone filter, we saw a gain of approx 7-10rwhp with no other changes. The power curve changed across the range... Engine power was in the 290-300rwhp.

The test shows that the air box is a restriction at that particular engine/turbo/boost/flow. I attributed the cause of the restriction to be the opening between air box & MAF. The snorkel may be a restriction, but no separate test was performed to verify.

The above test is no ideal, as the MAF was getting hot air from behind the fans, however the engine lid was open so the heat effect may have been reduced.

Based on this test and results from guys running large turbos, I would conclude that the stock air box causes a restriction. Of course, the AFM has the same opening size at the factory air box and we can conclude it will also cause a restriction at higher flow numbers.

Informative post. I almost wanted to switch back to a stock airbox, but it appears that I will be better off just getting another Cone Filter.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

If i or anyone else who has some decent Fab skills, we could fab up a higher flowing stock appearing airbox to fit in the original location that works with a 3" MAF made out of aluminium painted in some type of heat resistant black paint. I can see a lot of ways to improve on the design.
The problem being, cost and time to built would cost north of $500 from materials and fab time. where a 3" tube with an elbo + an air filter would cost ~$100 and most likely flow a lot more air.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info John. That's actually not too bad of a loss, and since I opened up the restriction that you think is the worst, with a bigger snorkel the loss should be even less. I'll just turn up the boost a litle to make up for it

BTW Cyberpunky, I asked one of my relatives to e-mail ETG in German in case they don't speak English (assuming it's the right ETG.) If you get a reply before I do, lets try to do a group buy.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisJ951
From the factory the 944 Turbo was very restrictive with the AFM and the exhaust. The reason being is that in development the 944 turbo was faster than the 930 turbo and Porsche couldn't let that happen so they detuned the car significantly. In 1986 they easily could have had a 280-300hp 944 from the factory.
Yep. Just like they have done on the Cayman. Lol

I have a pdf article from a while back of someone test driving a prototype 951 before it got detuned. From his test drives on the autobahn and runs with a Ferrari 512, which the 951 crushed, he said it felt waaaayyyyy more than the eventual 250hp.

Quick Reply: Power increase from removing stock air box?