Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Power increase from removing stock air box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Jon Milledge got 400 hp with the stock air box on a dyno.....can't be that restrictive. It has the strong advantage of taking cool combustion air.
Originally Posted by Zuba951
Was this with the stock AFM?
Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Stock AFM, stock air box, stock snorkel.
Perhaps crank-hp.
I have a hard time believing 400rwhp through the stock AFM...

I've had many 951 AFMs on my flowbench, and can tell you first hand that they are a major restriction above 300rwhp. Additionally, the AFM signal voltage is maxed out by then as well. So any airflow above this, the DME will not know about, and therefore tuning would be a nightmare, as the tuner has to guess what airflow the engine is ingesting at any given time... Or, I suppose, one could add more spring tension to the flapper, so it doesn't max out quite a soon. But that would add even more restriction in the mid-range, as the door would be more closed... Really a poor approach regardless.

Regarding the snorkel - I think a larger one is a good idea, coupled with a MAF and enlarged air-box opening. Definitely a sneaky approach!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a good project for some of the FG inclined listers out there.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Campbelljj
My attempt at replicating 968 turbo s box. Throttle response seems better, and the engine runs noticeably smoother and the price is definitely right. thanks Travis from Rennbay!
now you're just going to suck hot air in from the engine bay. not good.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...l-project.html

This is what I did for free.

When I dyno my car I will measure the difference with and without the box, but I bet it is not that much difference once I altered mine.
I think I saw that before- good work. One thing to consider though is air turbulence which could also cause some restriction at high flow where you opened up the entrance to the airbox. That's why I went to the trouble of inserting the aluminum tube and flaring out the end like the stock plastic.

I'd be interested to know the result if you do a dyno comparison.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Kevin
I am in on getting one but would want to get it shipped direct downunder(if possible), as shipping from USA to here is horrendous. It may work out cheaper for me to get one direct but would prefer to have my purchase help contribute to numbers(and make them cheaper for everyone), as I intend to buy one no matter which way it happens. If you could let me know what my options are, that would be awesome
I would actually prefer to keep the logo on mine but it's not a problem if they all have to come without it
Cheers mate

BTW I got no response to my email
Old 04-18-2012, 11:45 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Kevin
I am in on getting one but would want to get it shipped direct downunder(if possible), as shipping from USA to here is horrendous. It may work out cheaper for me to get one direct but would prefer to have my purchase help contribute to numbers(and make them cheaper for everyone), as I intend to buy one no matter which way it happens. If you could let me know what my options are, that would be awesome
I would actually prefer to keep the logo on mine but it's not a problem if they all have to come without it
Cheers mate

BTW I got no response to my email
That sounds good, I'll make a new post for a group buy, and once we know who else is intersted I'll ask him about shipping yours. BTW I had to have someone in germany call him before I got a response. He said he talked to someone from here and thought it was me, so he didn't answer the e-mail. Not sure why he didn't answer you..
Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe he didn't because it was in english not german
Cheers Kevin
Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...951+fibreglass

This is what I did back in the day...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Well I have been unable to find out about the VAT or customs charge on our end. Without knowing a firm price, I don't think it's possible to proceed with a group buy. It would be BARELY worth $400 to me, so if anyone else wants to pursue this, please do. If not, I'll probably just make one eventually. Thanks for trying to help Bruce.

Quick Reply: Power increase from removing stock air box?