Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pikington will make saratoga tops Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Pilk should put them on ebay UK, Germany, France and Italy.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:26 PM
retrosaurus
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just called pilkington, they had some issues for intl shipping but they would have the shipping prices today! Can't wait
Old 10-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
Someone has already put one on ebay, so the bidding may begin to reflct the market value for these. Then again, ebay is a bit of a circus.

eBay works great to find the one buyer who'll pay more than everybody else. Which is not to say that the one highest bidder (greater fool?) represents the whole market.

When selling a slew of them, the price will be lower, and may actually be more profitable than dragging it out in dribs and drabs.

If Pilkington is smart, they'll let the word get around, then make and sell a bunch more at the $300 price in, say, February, when the selling season is at its worst because everybody is broke.

They made money at $300 with a run of 100, by dusting off old tooling that is otherwise worthless. They might could ride that horse a bit further, as surely they'll sell lots more at $300 than at $600. At some price point, any product gets resistance, and even at $300 they didn't book the recent orders all that quickly.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dash01
by dusting off old tooling that is otherwise worthless. .
I really doubt that. Dimensions are unique, but same master tools are used for this or any other glass top. Maybe some aux tools for production of P specific attachments were dusted off, but they had to put a lot of effort in to this.

This must be one of the most amasing threads on rl, yet there is more critics than in any other thread..

They could sell it for $1000 and they would still sell them to people that want that kind of top and prefer new rather than 30 years old one.

But no, they offered 100 tops for $300 (almost giveaways) and still it is somehow not right?

I don't know what price is tempered glass in us, but here regular 8mm tempered glass is $100~200 per square meter.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Pilkington did this for you Rennlist folks, knowing they could make it up elsewhere later. The prices were a gift to you all. The ones that took advantage did well. Yet there were complaints about the tint even before anyone saw them. Here is the choice, not buy one, buy an old one with crap seals or to buy a new one at 300 to 500.00. I have read threads that say the tint is fine, no issues, seals are great. In the end either put up the cash for one or not. I have my new top that even my three year old granddaughter thinks the top is great. My Alana likes to look up at the sky at clouds. Well worth it for me for that reason alone. I hope if you can buy a top and enjoy them like the rest of the Rennlist folks are.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:19 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

^ agreed
Old 10-05-2013, 12:51 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

+1. Love the new top. Bronze tint? Can't even tell what color tint. It looks more like gray from outside looking in.

The fit? I haven't seen the original but from what I see it looks perfect. Wile driving it sounds solid. No squeaks or rattle or wind noise. They did a great job making this. Now I can appreciate the wait.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
Pilkington did this for you Rennlist folks.... The prices were a gift to you all.

Total B.S!

They did it because they could make money in the market, period!

There are all sorts of similar tops for other applications priced in the $125-200 range new. This wasn't any sort of "gift" pricing out of the kindness of their heart.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you want glass roof for $125, I don't think you chose the right brand of vehicle.

They should give them free and pay $500 with it, and there would still be people who would somehow see it as a rip-off.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WtF?

I never said it was a ripoff or that I wanted glass for $125!

Just saying they didn't gift anyone anything or do this out of the kindness of their heart as stated above. They did it to make money.

Pointing out factual prices for similar sunriof glass is not an opinion, its just a fact showing that if they had wanted to "gift" they could have easily priced it less.

Originally Posted by Voith
If you want glass roof for $125, I don't think you chose the right brand of vehicle.

They should give them free and pay $500 with it, and there would still be people who would somehow see it as a rip-off.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't say you were saying it, but there is a lot of comments suggesting it on what is clearly very exceptional price for an item that was recently sold on ebay for prices arround $1k with bad seals and as old as noes ark.

Every company HAS to make profit in order to survive, but to produce a piece like that and sell it for $300 is almost a charity yet people react as if someone is trying to rip them off.

One damn intake valve for 87 944 NA has a list price of $220, yet production maybe costs $20. Thats x 11 price for luxury marque. And pilkington could because it is limited production and not mainstream, charge $1200 for one roof and there is bunch of people who would buy it for that price. Even me if I had sunroof car.

I mean, if I get to porsche and somehow convince them to produce 944 series again, and it actually happens, you expect to get new car for the price of raw materials?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:35 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the price to be inclusive of markup that is on the low-side of normal for what this piece is.....as Voith has said...they could have easily charged $500 or more and still gotten about the same number of takers.

They are likely still making money...but I bet...not much.

Thing that is somewhat bizarre is that if this were a lucrative effort...why did it take them so long to recognize it?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I feel sorry for Pilkington in the midst of this... personally if I was them and saw half of these posts since they were on sale I would feel that a good number were ungrateful. They even allowed people a few days after to still get the discount price. They stated $299 for the first 100 tops on Sep 17th but they allowed it to reach the first 100 and let go of only getting that price on the 17th. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but we should be happy they took the time and effort even if they used old tooling they still took almost 2 years of time and effort, who knows what that cost them and time you can't get back, tools you can.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

No matter what you do in life, there will always be some who find fault. Let them waller in their thoughts and remember this, we have the tops and they only have complaints. I saw my Granddaughters face when she saw the top and her happiness certainly will overshadow the complainers. Pilkington should make money on this, so to the rest, go buy an old used one for 1200.00
Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Steph and cyclone don't even stress them they probably just mad because they didn't have the funds available to get them for 300 and now that they probably do they see they cost 600 so screw em I have both now the original bad seals loud and the new one quiet nice clean perfect no complaints from me and I waited almost 2 years for it perfect for me and screw the haters

Quick Reply: Pikington will make saratoga tops Again