Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pikington will make saratoga tops Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is hilarious. There was a used top linked to a little while back that was for sale for $400 for over a year with no takers.

Yet, every time someone references the used ones the price keeps climbing. Now we are up to a mythical $1200 for a used one.

Pretty soon they will be $10k!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:34 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
Pilkington did this for you Rennlist folks, knowing they could make it up elsewhere later. The prices were a gift to you all. The ones that took advantage did well. Yet there were complaints about the tint even before anyone saw them. Here is the choice, not buy one, buy an old one with crap seals or to buy a new one at 300 to 500.00. I have read threads that say the tint is fine, no issues, seals are great. In the end either put up the cash for one or not. I have my new top that even my three year old granddaughter thinks the top is great. My Alana likes to look up at the sky at clouds. Well worth it for me for that reason alone. I hope if you can buy a top and enjoy them like the rest of the Rennlist folks are.

Not sure about the "gift to you all" part.

Pilkington is a global company that like every other company produces a product/service to make a profit.

It makes great business sense to sell an initial batch at a reduced rate to gain exposure.

The customer service/communication was lacking.

I am pleased with the quality of the build and the bronze tint is really a non issue.

I highly recommend this top to anyone considering purchasing.

Not sure if I will like it in the heat of summer but for now I am very pleased with the final product.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

On a different topic
I took the car out today for a quick spin with a fellow Rennlister
He had just picked up his roof that I had order for him .. ( he was out of country at the time of the GB )
As we were driving on the entrance ramp of the highway 280 I was kinda stomping on it,
just as we were pulling a significant G turn and we hit a pretty large expansion joint in the payment and man there was one loud pop !
I was like WOW! I have never bottomed out like that and heard a sound like that ...
Turns out, that the sunroof popped off the track on one side (the sunroof was fully extended at the time )
Warning not a good idea to be driving around hard with the sunroof extended all the way ...
trust me DON'T DO IT
Regards
Ed
Old 10-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
On a different topic
I took the car out today for a quick spin with a fellow Rennlister
He had just picked up his roof that I had order for him .. ( he was out of country at the time of the GB )
As we were driving on the entrance ramp of the highway 280 I was kinda stomping on it,
just as we were pulling a significant G turn and we hit a pretty large expansion joint in the payment and man there was one loud pop !
I was like WOW! I have never bottomed out like that and heard a sound like that ...
Turns out, that the sunroof popped off the track on one side (the sunroof was fully extended at the time )
Warning not a good idea to be driving around hard with the sunroof extended all the way ...
trust me DON'T DO IT
Regards
Ed
So was it okay... any broken parts?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geneqco
So was it okay... any broken parts?
No thank God but it did scare the @#$$ outta me
I just pulled over right way, shut the car off, and reset the sunroof .. by turning the key one click and lowering the geared legs ...
I did notice one thing ... the seals must settle over time ( as the clips in the front that you latch down, are now very easy (in fact almost a little too loose ) Before they were pretty tight, and took a little to snap them down ..
Anyone else notice that as well?
Regards
Ed
Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear everything's okay!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geneqco
Glad to hear everything's okay!
Thanks bud
Old 10-06-2013, 03:13 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I just pulled over right way, shut the car off, and reset the sunroof .. by turning the key one click and lowering the geared legs ...
I did notice one thing ... the seals must settle over time ( as the clips in the front that you latch down, are now very easy (in fact almost a little too loose ) Before they were pretty tight, and took a little to snap them down ..
Regards
Ed
Yeah. I had to work my sunroof into place the first time, and now I am getting a little wind noise creeping in. I might take it out and wipe the seal down with some rubber treatment.

I think I remember reading that it is not a good idea to extend the roof to its full height. Certainly that position would put the most stress on those geared arms.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PEvans
I think I remember reading that it is not a good idea to extend the roof to its full height. Certainly that position would put the most stress on those geared arms.
Well I'll be damned.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Okay so ima be sorry for bringing bad news I need help

Today I notice that my new Saratoga top seal is coming off on the driver side and I was just wondering what can I do to stick it back before it all comes off then ima be fudged and before I go ahead and call pilkington I was asking a few rennlist broz for some help
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Call Pilkington
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Regards
Ed
Anyone.. ?
regards
Ed
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,668 Likes on 976 Posts

hey any one who didnt get in on the original deal your loss so stop whining and if you want a glass roof I will sell you my old one for 400 so if anyone is interested contact me
Mike
Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
Call Pilkington
Yeah I guess that's what I am going to do tomorrow morning the crap ima hate is if they ask to ship it back to them then by the time I get it back it's going to be in a month
Old 10-09-2013, 04:26 PM
retrosaurus
AutoX

Originally Posted by retrosaurus
Just called pilkington, they had some issues for intl shipping but they would have the shipping prices today! Can't wait
Still nothing

Quick Reply: Pikington will make saratoga tops Again