Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
This just in.
Did you guys weld it up with the funky flange? i see #4 is notched at the top bolt.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Patrick,
The header you built looks Great!
Max
Old 10-08-2016, 02:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Nice work as usual!

I might be around Paul K's pits drinking his coffee..
Yeah I'll be going out on the Friday. Not sure on the Sat just yet. I'll look out for you.

Originally Posted by Thom
Not sure I understand what happened with your headers, last time I saw 8V headers being modified to fit a 16V head there was no offset issue. Didn't you mention you had to move the turbo for the new larger turbine housing to clear the block?
Exactly as Spencer outlined. I didn't realise this. I had hoped we might be able to massage the old headers to work but it was going to be pretty touch and go. Especially trying to retain the bungs that were already welded in there. The time to modify the old ones vs making up new ones wasn't that different and the new ones while not Paul's 'prettiest' work, are actually much more even in terms of length than the old ones which had quite a bit of variance across the range. The CC value of the headers is almost exactly the CC of each cylinder for what that's worth. These headers may not be perfect for chasing tq but it's really tight in there with canted motor and steering column. The X-over needs to be shortened a little bit too.

Yes, we did have to make room for the new larger housing on the turbo. Now that we're out of WTAC for this season I started back down the path of doing the twin scroll EFR swap...but it's a big job and again, Paul thinking of my pockets convinced me to stick with what we have and just get the car on the track again. While this turbo and exhaust size won't be ideal to extract the most out of the motor, I need to stop the bleeding and pay off some debts so we'll stick with what we have for now.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Thom, the 8v exhaust ports are offset from the bore centerline towards the front of the engine.

The 16v ports are centered on the bore with a valve on either side.

Taking the manifold off the 8v head and putting it on the 16v head has the effect of moving manifold towards the back of the engine.

944 8v vs 944S:
Perfectly put!

Originally Posted by Arominus
Did you guys weld it up with the funky flange? i see #4 is notched at the top bolt.
Yes, funky flange made up as the #4 is different to the other 3. Because Porsche.

Originally Posted by Max Energy
Patrick,
The header you built looks Great!
Max
Thanks Max.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

In the last two motors we had the steering shaft actually touching the headers and that is with the motor 'shifted' to the left on the mounts to make extra room. With the new headers Paul was careful to allow more room and we've gained about 1/2 an inch. Doesn't sound much but it's not rubbing!

The intake cam wheel also pushes through the hood line so we'll make up something to allow it to work.
Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2016, 11:29 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking good Patrick!
Old 10-08-2016, 12:27 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Patrick...
How would you feel about a LHD racecar?
Might free up some plumbing room....
Old 10-08-2016, 03:00 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
I'd have put a thick washer over that stud and welded it onto the flange
Old 10-08-2016, 04:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Patrick...
How would you feel about a LHD racecar?
Might free up some plumbing room....
LHD would be better for a few reasons. Steering shaft being one of them but also we could relocate the turbo somewhere down in the passengers footwell area.

Originally Posted by blade7
I'd have put a thick washer over that stud and welded it onto the flange
That won't be how it looks once it's finished. Just hanging in place for a quick picture.

Originally Posted by refresh951
Looking good Patrick!
Thanks Shawn. For a long time now I had thought there would be no way we'd possibly beat you to tuning our 16v motor but perhaps....So where's that at now? I know there were some holdups for paint. Must be ready to go now, yes?
Old 10-16-2016, 02:41 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry wrong thread
Old 10-18-2016, 11:45 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Just about to go into crate. All the last little bits have been zipped up. Cams are adjustable. Covers have been made up to minimise any chance of belt hop.
Holy crap how'd I miss this?

Mine is going to be the street, little brother of yours.
Just got my head back.......plenum time...... Sigh.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Small update. So with the motor having been in the car for some months now and no work going on we will slowly be moving forwards again. Have decided to do the whole EFR twin scroll turbo change. Going with the 9180 t4 ext w/gate model. I also bought one of Rod's spare housings (1.05) as he uses the 1.45. Being that our cars are in different classes and he has paddle shift SQ box vs our stock syncro, I decided to try the 'small' housing to get a little more response out of it. Rod suggested it wasn't a huge difference but it's a starting point for us. Along with that will be the twin X over pipes and gates. Plus a new turbo back exhaust. Ours is 3" and I wanted to go to 3.5" or 4" depending on space.

The water pump has been mounted. Not too many spaces for this but it looks like running low down off the radiator will work nicely.

We're also upgrading to a new ECU / and Dash. Another member bought our old ECU and other parts which has helped in offsetting some of the costs.

We're also working with a local manufacturer of high end intakes and may be employing one of his 'creations'. http://www.customplenums.com/
More of that later with any luck.

As you can imagine, we're very keen to finally get this motor finished and tuned.

Am going to have a few things to sell soon. Not the least being the 2.5 racemotor. This is a high end build with all the 'right' pieces on it and saw over 520whp on the dyno. It can be supplied with a custom intake, 4-1 headers, modified X over, GTX3582 turbo with any of the 3 housings. Full 3" s/s exhaust, billet dry sump pump mount and oil pump.

I also have the head/cam/intake from the 3.1lt 8v motor available. This has all the good stuff on it too. Saw just under 250cfm with big valves/cam. One the 3.1ltr motor we saw over 550whp. Can also be supplied with some of the options from the 2.5lt racemotor.

Probably a few other things I have forgotten. Anyone with genuine inquiries can P.M. me for details and possible pricing.
Attached Images     
Old 01-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Darryl H
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome work Patrick. Keep it up, that turbo looks like it could swallow a few children!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:20 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Glad you went the EFR route. There will be more mucking around with headers ect but it'll pay off. It's a huge turbo though! interested to see where and how it gets mounted.
WP is mounted in a good spot too.
Good luck.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:27 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.
Yes, it looks massive doesn't it. We shall see how it responds but Rod and his engineer were confidant that we should opt for the same model turbo as them. Just a matter of getting it in hand so we can start fabbing up the Xovers etc...
Old 01-15-2017, 11:18 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a great turbo, but yes it is a big thing to fit in.

Quick Reply: Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)