Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
Hmmm. How about half way up that spacer, have some type of channel that comes off of the crossmember that helps support the center of the spacer? It could be as simple as having a third hole (first two attach the spacer to the rack and inner tie rod respectively) and have a mounted rod that the spacer slides side to side on, at least keeping that spacer in line with the axis on which the rack is angled at. That might help with side loads and from the twisting that would probably occur with just the spacer attached. The length of the rod would need to be able to handle the full length of travel though and there would need to be some way of keeping that area sealed, greased and clean while in use.

Also, if there was a way of measuring the forces that the steering exerts there, I could possibly figure out the spacer thickness and material through FEA if needed.

Keeping in mind the new theoretical pivot point is now located to the top of the red line. I think I know what you are explaining. Like a support bolt that stabilizes the upward extension that has a stationary slider plate welded to the crossmember. I can see that working, but that's a bit complicated with many pieces needed. If you only need an inch or so, the bump steer kit is probably the way to go. I will figure this out and get back to this thread with what I come up with.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
A) You don't have a clue about my education.

B) You don't have to be an engineer to clearly see that your proposed solution wouldn't fix the geometry problem (specifically the bump steer issue).

All it would do would be to provide a means to connect the tie rod end to the steering knuckle.

THE SAME BUMP STEER ISSUE WOULD EXIST.

Yes the top of tie rod would be flat (or parallel to the control arm).

However... that's not what matters. What matters is that the arc of the tie rod as it moves through its travel matches the arc of the control arm as it moves through its travel.

And... that won't happen with your solution because you haven't moved the base of the arc. IT WILL HAVE THE SAME ARC AS IT DOES NOW. And thus the same bump steer issue it has now.

In this particular case, the only way to fix it is to either raise the rack, modify the steering knuckle (not smart) to lower the tie rod connection point, or use some sort of spacers to get the tie rod connection point to the steering knuckle lower.

What engineering school did you graduate from again?

TonyG
Tony, your solution would be the best approach for bumpsteer (maybe not for strength tho). However, as I see it, robstah's solution would change the arc of the steering arm. I have used this approach before. It is a lot more dependent on setup than what you suggest, and maintains minimal bumpsteer over a much smaller change in ride height, but it does work. Maybe his explanation is open to misinterpretation?

Still working on my new spindles, hope to have an update soon

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 11-01-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM
95ONE
Race Car

You might be able to compromise with both parts. Have the rack spacer go up an inch or two and also run bumpsteer tie rods to the point where you start to get close to the wheel. Technically the rack spacer mentioned is doing actually like what the tie rod bumpsteer bits do, just at the other end. I can see a combo of the two as a possibility for such an extreme example, which should cut back a lot of the stresses at the rack spacer.
Exactly. Minimal stress at both ends. A hybrid of sorts. But also twice as expensive and laborious... Which is about par for all the custom stuff I do... lol. And this approach is probably the best one.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
B) You don't have to be an engineer to clearly see that your proposed solution wouldn't fix the geometry problem (specifically the bump steer issue).
Wrong.
I think you two are reading the drawing with the red and blue lines differently.

I'm pretty sure that Tony thinks that the upper 90-degree 'elbow' in that PC paint drawing would be solid, while I believe Rob is suggesting that the top one would have a joint on it, so that it becomes the point about which the tie rod pivots while the suspension moves.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I was always pretty bad at MS Paint.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:22 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Exactly. Minimal stress at both ends. A hybrid of sorts. But also twice as expensive and laborious... Which is about par for all the custom stuff I do... lol. And this approach is probably the best one.
...which is why I gave up on the 996/997 parts. Got a better solution in the works that doesn't require either of these mods.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a setup like that on my race car. The tie rod (blue) have is attached to the adapter (red) with a rod end.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to compromise with both parts. Have the rack spacer go up an inch or two and also run bumpsteer tie rods to the point where you start to get close to the wheel. Technically the rack spacer mentioned is doing exactly like what the tie rod bumpsteer bits do, just at the other end. I can see a combo of the two as a possibility for such an extreme example, which should cut back a lot of the stresses at the rack spacer.
+1 on this approach. I've done this before and has effectively eliminated bump steer (you'll laugh, this was on a solar powered race car we built). We did need to ensure that the rack "extensions" had an ultimate pivot point in plane with that of the lower control arm, so keep that in mind. Otherwise you can risk binding, or at the very least risk poor bump steer geometry at bump.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
I have a setup like that on my race car. The tie rod (blue) have is attached to the adapter (red) with a rod end.
So there's a block of something attached to the threaded end of the steering rack, standing up a few inches, and the tie rod threads into it instead?

Is there any rack exposed at full lock, enough to put some sort of triangulation brace on the upright?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
So there's a block of something attached to the threaded end of the steering rack, standing up a few inches, and the tie rod threads into it instead?

Is there any rack exposed at full lock, enough to put some sort of triangulation brace on the upright?
Your description is basically right. It is a heavy round piece of chrome moly is about 100 mm long that is bored out and attached to the rack with a M14 12.9 allen head bolt.
There is a side welded on each side of the round stock that goes upwards and then the rod end from the steering arm is in the middle of those 2 sides with a bolt straight through. If that makes sense
Old 11-01-2012, 01:50 PM
95ONE
Race Car

OH that's great DUKE> NEED PICS ASAP! PLEASE>

Your description is basically right. It is a heavy round piece of chrome moly is about 100 mm long that is bored out and attached to the rack with a M14 12.9 allen head bolt.
There is a side welded on each side of the round stock that goes upwards and then the rod end from the steering arm is in the middle of those 2 sides with a bolt straight through. If that makes sense

Wow, that is exactly..... no kidding, what my friend and I were discussing on how to do it. The two uprights would look like a triangle though, back to the original length of the rod.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:51 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
...which is why I gave up on the 996/997 parts. Got a better solution in the works that doesn't require either of these mods.
Sounds like a whole new spindle? lower arm?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like a whole new spindle? lower arm?
New spindle, lower arm, and the option to fit an upper arm

I'll post some photos when the parts arrive...
Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

OH that's great DUKE> NEED PICS ASAP! PLEASE>

Wow, that is exactly..... no kidding, what my friend and I were discussing on how to do it. The two uprights would look like a triangle though, back to the original length of the rod.
Here you go!
Side note: my engine bay is a bit messy... SINCE I SPUN A BEARING AND DESTROYED MY 3.0L 16V TURBO YESTERDAY!!!
Sorry for that I just had to scream a bit
Such irony as this was the last test before winter and I have a dry sump setup incoming

Nevermind, here's the pic! It might look crude but was designed by DTM race car fabricators and have survided harsh endurance racing (although a wheel to wheel incident resulted in a broken bolt in the past)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

thats pretty snazzy, i like it.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
New spindle, lower arm, and the option to fit an upper arm

I'll post some photos when the parts arrive...
Looking forwards to these pics Mike!!

Quick Reply: Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...