Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...

Here is my quick V8 chapter. EDIT: LOL> I can't believe I wrote "quick" NONE of my projects are ever quick.

I first bought a 2005 5.3 liter H.O. from a Chevy trailblazer S.S.
I had it Honed out to a 5.7 liter.

Heads that came on the motor are LS6 Castings without all the cool valvetrain. So.. I am having the heads ported now.. They are almost done. Heads are currently getting Ported. Custom chambers, and anything else he can think of. Oversized Ferrea Stainless Hollow stem Vlaves. High Pressure oval honeycomb Springs to .650 lift. Trunion upgraded Rockers. Milled .025. .040 crush MLS Cometic head gasket. - as you can see, some clean up weld filling still needs to be done. Doing that this weekend.

I installed a slightly custom MS4 camshaft. (Not really an MS4) heat treated Double Roller timing chain with Gen 4 chain guide.

New Crank, Cam, and Rod bearings. New chromoly piston rings.
I plasti-gauged the mains and mic'd them. All looks good.

I bought some low mileage LS6 Rods and Pistons. New ARP rod bolts.

New LS7 lifters. New lifter trays with a drilled hole for quicker oil drain.

Dry sump stuff is planned. Dry sump tank and some lines are already in.

Electric water pump, so only an alternator and 5 stage oil pump/scavenge pump will be driven off of crank pulley.

Tilton 5.5" 4 disc clutch, Magnesium belhousing. Rear mount starter planned for later.

Intake manifold to be built with dual throttle bodies.

Not quite a full build as I'm not going a full 383 stroker with forged rods and pistons. That would have added another $1,500. So I didn't do it. And I honestly felt unnecessary for the planned 500hp.

I doubt many of you know what the hell I just typed.. LOL. (because most of this in LS speak in a Porsche forum) but many of you do and will know eventually.

Here are some pics that should add up over the next month. It should be finished around then. Hopefully.

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-26-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

those chambers came out nice....will be watching this.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:33 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Well Spencer, if this thread is like any of my projects, you'll be watching for a long time.. lol. Hopefully not this time. MUCH is already bought for this guy.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:03 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice. hope to hear it run next spring
Old 09-10-2011, 02:43 AM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
+2 those look nice. subscribed
Old 09-10-2011, 11:43 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I still have to fly cut the pistons before I install them. I won't know how much I have to fly cut them until the heads are done..
Then fly cut.
Then install pistons.
Then everything else on motor.
Then test fit into car..And rebuild crossmember as needed and make custom mounts
Then install in car, - All in this thread.
THEN finish torque tube because I will know the length I need and I can adjust from there. - I can finish that old thread.
Then I can paint the engine bay, but only after I have installed the dry sump tank box.
Then I can design and build the intake manifold. - will have its own thread mixed with this one.
Then I can finish the fuel system. - - will have its own thread
Then I can install wiring harness.
Then I can Paint the Car, but only after I find a roof and finish installing the front end end reparing it. - has it's own thread
THEN I can install the interior goodies and electrical. -- will have its own thread
Then I can test and tune the motor - will be in this thread.

.... It will be a long trip.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:28 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Here is the dry sump tank. The long fill tube will be cut to base. I might cut the body down a bit and make it a bit shorter. - maybe not. I still have to figure that out. I need to build a box though.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

looking good Bruce!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Did some measuring tonight. I am certain I will either have to heavily modify the stock crossmember, or just make another one out of some steel and tubing which is what i am leaning towards right now. I didn't get anything bolted in. I just got the motor up in there to look at what I am dealing with. This is pretty much my "OWN" LS intall "KIT" I will NOT be making this to sell. Just this one off So I can fit my magnesium Tilton bellhousing in there and and push the engine all the way back and all the way down. It comes out to be about 1.5" lower than any of the Kit's place the motor. and about 3-4" further back. I will probably stay with 3" as 4" starts to create issues that I don't want to mess with. I hope you find my "Lunchbox" LS handle as amusing as I did. I just kinda cut out some plate and welded a scrap piece of metal on top for the handle.

Another interesting piece in this pic is the chain guide. GM makes a fancy one for the LS2 or 3. I can't remember, and they make one like this. (In between the cam wheel and the crank. off white thingy) It's a nice piece that only fits the 4th gen style motors. Mine is still considered a 3rd gen because of the 24 tooth crank reluctor, but most everything is 4th gen in design. Katech makes copies of these things for the 3rd gen LS motor with wider bolt spacing. I was lucky that the GM version fit with my 4th gen bolt hole spacing because GM is $35, and Katech is $100!!!

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-19-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:50 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Really is crazy how nice and cozy a v8 is in our engine bays! You do nice work, can't wait to see it finished!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:49 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Really is crazy how nice and cozy a v8 is in our engine bays! You do nice work, can't wait to see it finished!
You really get to see how compact the LS motor is. The heads, intake and accessories aren't on it though. So it is deceptively small without those.

Here is a pic of the stock oil pan I just cut the flange off of so i can make my own personal Dry sump pan. I could buy a Canton one for $500, but I think I'll weld one up that better suits my needs for just about nothing and some time.

I am still trying to decide if I am going to use the stock oil pump for pressure or one f the 4 or 5 stage tandem scavenge and pump set ups. I need to figure it out soon though.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 AM
TX951
Instructor

Good stuff Bruce. This aint helping my swap fever!

Is that an SVO hanging behind the block? I've had a few of those in the past. Still miss'em from time to time.

Who is doing your head-work?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by TX951
Good stuff Bruce. This aint helping my swap fever!

Is that an SVO hanging behind the block? I've had a few of those in the past. Still miss'em from time to time.

Who is doing your head-work?
How the hell did you know that was an SVO!? Yes.. yes it is. (EDIT: I went back to the pics. License plate. Now removed. ) Craig Gallant at GTP is my head guy. I put pressure on him and told him I was going to post all about this head and that he better do every trick in his hat to make sure these make power. I even kept a slightly smaller valve size because he said I had to have it smaller to go with this block bore to truly flow. I said fine because its his *** on the line! LOL. He actually looked concerned and still has the heads now. I feel confident they are in good hands. He hasn't really been on the "scene" in many years, but I know he has been keeping up with and flowing better numbers on these heads for the past 5 years. Average power is his concern. not peak. But we built the valvetrain to handle high RPM to maintain all that power. think LONG tall curve. No peak. My cam is spec'd out for this. It's funny most drag racers think it's peaky only because they don't plan on going much above 6500 RPM. most of them don't realize the power actually holds and goes on and on if you match the rest of the motor. Craig has even told me what exhaust header specs i need to run. I am building the intake manifold with his help in Flow and Flow bench. Total package deal sort of thing..as in a 90% Max effort. (the last 10% is always 10xs more money) hollow stainless instead of Titanium. Trunion rockers instead of Jesel. - Although I will be going to those rockers within 6 -10 months if all works well. etc. etc.

After all is said and done, I'm guessing 475whp or higher with a long power and torque curve up high. below 4K rpm will be somewhat un spectacular. That of course is of no consequence. 4-7K rpm range. I only have to worry about rods and pistons above 7K rpm. Everything else will be built for 7500 with momentary 8K.

If I could have my way at this point, I would re-start with a 6.6 liter for around 600-650 whp. Full, all out 8K rpm build. But I'm going to Pull the reigns only a bit. I think I need to cut my teeth on this guy first and deal with the ups and downs that I know are waiting for me. Who knows? This might actually be "enough" horsepower for me.

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-22-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:20 AM
TX951
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95ONE
How the hell did you know that was an SVO!? Yes.. yes it is.
Well, I've owned a handful of Mustangs and a couple of SVOs. Those tail lights were only used on SVOs and the 93 Cobra. The SVO had the black strip in the rear bumper cover while the 93 Cobra had a 1-color cover.

I can't remember what my wife got me for Christmas last year, but I remember that sh*t.

Are you running a stock transaxle? How much TQ are these suppose to take?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Shame that we won't be seeing your fabrication skills on a 3.0l 16v turbo.. traitor..

With that said, why don't you send me the parts you already designed for the 16v build and I'll put it to good use

Quick Reply: Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...