Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Green Hunter dyno - 514 rwhp @ 17 psi

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Busy next thursday evening but pretty flexible day time if that works??
we'll be in Stockholm early morning and leave back for Helsinki in the afternoon. I can call to you next week, so we can make necessary arrangements
Old 10-07-2010, 01:27 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Guuustaaaaf, du förbannade unge....!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
Gustaf, Nice numbers. Keep up the good work! Why do they show Nm and HP. Wouldn't they show
NM and Killowatts or another "metric" HP measurement? Seems they are mixing SAE and Metric. 609 NM is 449 Ft Lbs. by our calculation. Is it just because you guys are used to NM just like we are used to Ft. Lbs? And HP is more a Internationally understood number?
Thanks! HP is actually also a DIN norm and we have been using HP and Nm forever in Europe. With that said the new regulations stipulate that officiall power numbers should be in Kw. But everyone is still so used to HP that no one uses Kw except official car brochures (which also includes HP so that people understand ).
Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Guuustaaaaf, du förbannade unge....!!!

Haha! Someone has been watching Emil i Lönneberga
At least some of us tries our best to beat the newer Porschs... traitor!
You know you want back to the love and hate relationship of a 951
Old 10-07-2010, 02:07 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm curious about the other changes required to handle that huge amount of power. Changes to the transmission? Halfshafts? Etc? Any insight Duke?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:38 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nick_968
There is always someone else who can do it cheaper! I was one of those......until I actually started doing it
This post put a grin on my face.

There are nice 951/968 cars with 3.0 builds that aren't putting down big numbers. The factory 968TS was just over 300hp with around 350tq.

Once you want 450 to 500 WHP with reliability, the cost looks like Duke's tq curve after 2000RPM. You have additional engine heat to contain, intake and intercooler air flow issues, additional heat shielding, additional transmission cooling, EXPENSIVE engine management for tuning, much better brake and suspension parts, turbo requirements, clutch requirements, and the list goes on.

Duke's car is a complete package that cost a few bucks. The short block is just the foundation, and then you have to build around this motor to get what you want. The costs vary, depending on how much reliable power you are seeking.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Haha! Someone has been watching Emil i Lönneberga
At least some of us tries our best to beat the newer Porschs... traitor!
I admit, I'm a traitor. But I haven't completely quit tuning...although another 951 would be nice. This time I'd know how and what to do.

I'd also would like to test that Geen Hunter of yours!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Gustaf,

our hate & love relationship is just too simple & easy.We 951 builders just cannot understand all the difficulties Pete have gone throug with his 996 build up. I suppose none of us are not patient enough to solve all of those mystery things his current build up has caused.
And yes,Emil was also watched here like that another very strong red headed character Astrid created
Old 10-07-2010, 05:58 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Thanks - its nice to have a real first-hand thought. Is yours a 3L 16v build?
Well, the "right way" to me means it works and is reliable - is there a different definition?
But again, I'm very hands-on; besides the machining, I will not have someone else do it for me.
Trust me I researched what it would take to build a 3.0ltr when I did my motor. I know the costs involved. It's not cheep or easy.
Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I can attest to that statement! If anyone is interested in the cost of a proper 3L build, feel free to PM me.
I remember when your car was stock. Crazy how far you've taken it.
Originally Posted by 333pg333
Congrats Duke. Man you've got more power than me at probably 6psi than I do at 21psi!! I didn't know you had your car in the U.S.??

In terms of bang for buck, well it's relative. How much is a shop going to charge you to build a turn key LS conversion vs doing one of these motors 'right'? I think the difference is that to get big power and reliability out of our 4 cylinder motors you probably do have to do it 'right'. Also what you want from your car can make a big difference. You can probably do a pretty decent 3L on a budget if you do all your own work and don't want to use it for extended track time. A V8 engine is going to give you reliability over a 4 for the same power level I think.

However what is not lost on Duke and others is that these cars are actually Porsches, not Porvettes. For the guys with V8s in their cars, no matter how impressive they are, they are now not real Porsches. There is nothing wrong with that, but I think for the guys that push these cars and motors to the boundaries they do it because they want to, not because they need to. The V8 conversions would solve a lot of heartache for many of us, but it's up to the owner to pick his / her path.

Great results Duke and can't wait for the T shirt.
Very well put
Old 10-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Trust me I researched what it would take to build a 3.0ltr when I did my motor. I know the costs involved. It's not cheep or easy.
Not going to just agree to disagree huh? There is more than one way to skin a cat - you want someone to do it for you, I don't.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:21 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Not going to just agree to disagree huh? There is more than one way to skin a cat - you want someone to do it for you, I don't.
You build your 3.0ltr for under 10k dyno it and run it for a year...then well see where we stand You'll see alot of posts from people talking about how easy or cheep it is, funny thing is none of them have done successful builds.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
You'll see alot of posts from people talking about how easy or cheep it is, funny thing is none of them have done successful builds.
My subjective response to that = the truth. No matter what my own opinion is, what John says is the truth. At least up to current date. What happens in the future no one knows.

But sure you can buy a 968 engine for $4k, install shorter rods, turbocharge it and use 951 motronic, flywheel, small clutch upgrade etc. and get away with a small amount of $ but what's the point to prove?
In fact it's quite possible to spend less than $4k and build faster car (non porsche) if a single dyno number is what you're after. But that is not what I'm after. The purpose of my build was not just to build something with high power for a very limited lifespan. So please just accept that if you want to build something the "right" way it costs. There's a reason behind a real race team budget numbers.....

I would never say it has to cost $30k to build a 3.0l engine, it depends on your goals. If you want to build a cheap engine where you haven't addressed important aspects I won't be critical, in fact I would encourage people to do this as long as they fully understand what limitations that may come with their package.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

My subjective response to that = the truth. No matter what my own opinion is, what John says is the truth. At least up to current date. What happens in the future no one knows.

But sure you can buy a 968 engine for $4k, install shorter rods, turbocharge it and use 951 motronic, flywheel, small clutch upgrade etc. and get away with a small amount of $ but what's the point to prove?
In fact it's quite possible to spend less than $4k and build faster car (non porsche) if a single dyno number is what you're after. But that is not what I'm after. The purpose of my build was not just to build something with high power for a very limited lifespan. So please just accept that if you want to build something the "right" way it costs. There's a reason behind a real race team budget numbers.....

I would never say it has to cost $30k to build a 3.0l engine, it depends on your goals. If you want to build a cheap engine where you haven't addressed important aspects I won't be critical, in fact I would encourage people to do this as long as they fully understand what limitations that may come with their package.
I want your car. How much?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Don't get me started on calculating costs for this car, I will end up crying in the shower scrubbing myself crying "whyyy, oh whyyy"
Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't get me started on calculating costs for this car, I will end up crying in the shower scrubbing myself crying "whyyy, oh whyyy"
Man do I ever know that feeling. I can see myself buying a fully built car sometime down the road though. Your car would be perfect.

Quick Reply: Green Hunter dyno - 514 rwhp @ 17 psi