Green Hunter dyno - 514 rwhp @ 17 psi

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
Okay, CPR. I added labels for you.

I was waiting for someone to figure it out....you were too quick. I was making this into a 600hp car
Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Fantastic! If I come visit, can I test drive it?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Tonight I drove 100 kilometer to a place that have a new Dynojet.
Did many runs with different boost levels and played around with variocam.

514 rwhp at 1.15 bar / 17 psi - this is with a conservative ignition curve and pump fuel!!!

Will post more info and pics soon.
Duke ,

Is this on gas or e85 ?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:05 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. Must be a hoot to drive.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:17 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
Hmmm, some interesting information here.

From what I read one of the prime selling point of the LS upgrade over a 2.5L is the reliable 400hp, and that even a 3.0L, will strain to make 400hp consistently and thus is not worth it. Yet I see here that Duke is effortlessly making 438hp....even effortlessly making 480+hp.......

As long as a 3.0L,16v properly built could be had for around $20k-$25k, I hardly think there is a better option to go, given those dyno charts.

Well Done, Duke, as always and thanks for sharing.
Not even close. Duke has a 30k motor. Ask chris white what it costs to build a setup like what he has. You can get a ls3 with cam and bolt on's making 500whp on pump fuel and it'll last 100k. You could build a setup like that for 10k cheeper for sure than the 16v variocam 3.0ltr.

Duke your dyno is by far the most impressive I've seen. The power curve is amazing! You must be so pleased with your setup. In my opinion your dyno is now the one to beat. You've got over 3k full k of peak tq! Crazy man!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:21 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not taking away anything from Duke (amazing job BTW). But I simply don't see how a 3L could cost 30k.
Anyone care to break it down? Because whenever I do, I come up with something significantly different...
Old 10-07-2010, 01:33 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Not taking away anything from Duke (amazing job BTW). But I simply don't see how a 3L could cost 30k.
Anyone care to break it down? Because whenever I do, I come up with something significantly different...
I guess I should clarify. It's not just the motor its everything involved in the entire build it make it work and perform properly. Duke did all the work himself I'm sure(unless he can correct me) so the costs are much different for him obviously.

Go and talk to people who have 3.0ltr motor builds done for them. All of them will tell you its a 20k affair. Hell I myself had 14k in my 2.ltr motor between the head/cam/vitesse kit, rebuild, install etc. Anyone who has paid to have a build done will tell you its not a cheep affair.

Hell man lots of guys that do the project slowly in their garage just in parts will tell you it ends up being over 10k, and that's them doing all their own stuff. How many 3.0ltrs you heard of that use variocam? Duke is running a full standalone system, custom turbo setup, custom exhaust work, custom tuning, and he probably has some trick porting work on the heads, with a full motor build.

If anyone thinks that's a easy and cheep undertaking they are kidding themselves. There is a reason we don't see many 500whp 951's hell I can count how many I've seen on one hand and out of those only two of them were proper builds that lasted with moderate boost levels. Duke's car is awesome. I can't even imagine how much time has gone into a build like his. That's why I can safely say he is the man to beat now, just looking at his tq curve its stunning.

If it was cheep and easy everyone would do it. It's not.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

I suppose if you pay someone to do everything for you
But here is a 3L short-block from SFR for 9K.

SFR 3L

So even with all the ancillaries like turbo and EMS, I still don't see it being anywhere near 30k. (again assuming you actually pick up a wrench)

Enough OT - I don't want to jade this thread.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:45 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

SFR 3L

So even with all the ancillaries like turbo and EMS, I still don't see it being anywhere near 30k. (again assuming you actually pick up a wrench)
Your just proving my point all the more. 9k for just the short block, what about the rest of the rebuld, tax, what about a turbo, what about a engine management system? what about exhaust? Like I said even doing ALL the work yourself your easily at 15k easy..

I love these threads because, people are so quick to come in and say see here someone did it! It must be easy! It's not, ask duke how much heart, time, and money he has in his setup. Duke I didn't mean to derail your thread or your seriously stellar results. Your car is amazing man, your dyno speaks volumes about what went into the setup. Fantastic setup man! Take a bow.

P.S. I paid shops to build my setups because, they know what they are doing and the results speak for themselves. My car made 300hp and lasted forever(years) with me beating the **** out of it at 19psi. The vitesse setup cranked right up and ran like stock with zero issues. It made crazy midrange power and never gave me one problem other than I wanted to get it fully setup on e85(which I never got a chance to do). I was recently at a dyno with several people rather disappointed with their dyno results. Sometimes paying more to have the pro's do your work means you get the reliable results.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

SFR 3L

Enough OT - I don't want to jade this thread.
I had my engine built, and am doing all the install work. I can attest to the 20k plus if you do it the right way (my idea of the right way may be different than yours).
Old 10-07-2010, 01:56 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I had my engine built, and am doing all the install work. I can attest to the 20k plus if you do it the right way (my idea of the right way may be different than yours).
Yuuuuup. This stuff ain't cheep. It's why so few of these builds exist.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Thanks - its nice to have a real first-hand thought. Is yours a 3L 16v build?
Well, the "right way" to me means it works and is reliable - is there a different definition?
But again, I'm very hands-on; besides the machining, I will not have someone else do it for me.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Yuuuuup. This stuff ain't cheep. It's why so few of these builds exist.
I can attest to that statement! If anyone is interested in the cost of a proper 3L build, feel free to PM me.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Congrats Duke. Man you've got more power than me at probably 6psi than I do at 21psi!! I didn't know you had your car in the U.S.??

In terms of bang for buck, well it's relative. How much is a shop going to charge you to build a turn key LS conversion vs doing one of these motors 'right'? I think the difference is that to get big power and reliability out of our 4 cylinder motors you probably do have to do it 'right'. Also what you want from your car can make a big difference. You can probably do a pretty decent 3L on a budget if you do all your own work and don't want to use it for extended track time. A V8 engine is going to give you reliability over a 4 for the same power level I think.

However what is not lost on Duke and others is that these cars are actually Porsches, not Porvettes. For the guys with V8s in their cars, no matter how impressive they are, they are now not real Porsches. There is nothing wrong with that, but I think for the guys that push these cars and motors to the boundaries they do it because they want to, not because they need to. The V8 conversions would solve a lot of heartache for many of us, but it's up to the owner to pick his / her path.

Great results Duke and can't wait for the T shirt.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:40 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There is always someone else who can do it cheaper! I was one of those......until I actually started doing it

Quick Reply: Green Hunter dyno - 514 rwhp @ 17 psi