CVRIV's Project 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:06 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cvriv.charles
Yes I know. Depending on what I get, I will upgrade the suspension. The track I posted is more than what a 951 has. The other busted NA is not but I can probably get it really cheap. I can then upgrade the suspension evrything to accomodate my engine.

No mater what I get,... in the end it will all be the same. The only difference being whether I install the upgrades or if the car already has them.

Of the two,... which would you go for?
Neither one. I'd wait for a solid 951 chassis, and transplant my 951 guts. You can find a damned nice 951, with a blown engine, and a near perfect body, for 3k, if you are pacient. Hell, I bet even the interior would be nice. Seriously, they are out there. Take a deep breath and nail down your specific goal. Write it down. Act on it.
You won't be sorry...or atleast not AS sorry!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:16 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A bit of both. I have a 4x4 I drive around a lot. So technically it wont be my daily driver but I will be driving it alot because I love driving this car.

What are you thinking? I liek the raced out car because it has everything done already. Save me time. Not bad for 7000.

The other one is kind of nice too. Only has a new sachs clutch and a lighter flywheel. the flywheel I cant even use with my engine. But im pretty sure I can get it real cheap.
I can't say this loud enough. The second 944 is a RACE CAR! That is it's sole purpose! Not just that, it is a winner! Either leave the car alone and part yours, or leave it alone period. Someone else wants to go race that car and win. Messing with that car is like turning Affirmed into a plow horse...but that's just me.
As it is it's a great deal. The moment someone screws with it, it's a 1k 944 like all the rest.
The result is you will now own a 2k parts hulk and a 1k 944. That seems like a gross and net loss too me.

Keep in mind, the suspension on THAT car was specifically set up for TAHT car. That car is lighter than yours. If you add the 951 engine to that chassis, the suspension won't correspond to the new power. The brakes, currently on the car, correspond too that driver and car. That car has vastly less power, thus it needs less braking...it's also much lighter. Now throw in about 100 hp. How are the brakes now?

My point is that there are far simpler, less expensive and less irritating ways to skin this cat.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:21 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I couldnt have the suspension tuned after I drop my freashly rebuilt engine into it? I think it could. Everything is adjustable. In the end its only a 944. Any 944 could be a winner with enough money. If I dropped my engine into it, added my 951 brakes, and had the suspension tuned for my engine,... that car would be a killer.

It would be my toy. I always wanted to try DE. This car would be perfect for it obviously. The owenr drives it on the road hence the tire trailer that comes with the car.

So yea. What makes you think I would ruin this car? S#$% happens. Yes. Look at my current car. But im not the only one to wreck one of this. 30 years of age and that was my FIRST accident. I have 2 points on my licence. I am not a wreckless driver. Nor am I a retard.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:43 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I didn't say you would "wreck" it. That car is damned near professionally set up to be raced. If not than that Dude is one FANTASTIC hot shoe driver! That car has performed! To tkae it from what it is to turn it into something else would effectively "wreck" what it is. There are guys who spend years trying to figure out how to set up a car to make it a race winner. That's thousands of dollars worth of tweaks, voodoo dolls, and sacrificed virgins...and they still can't get their car set up to win.
That's what I'm saying.
THIS is a RACE CAR! It's very much NOT a street car. There is no compromise in that chassis, at this point. That thing is like no 944 street car you've ever driven. It is HARSH, ANGRY, Ready to fight.

I love the car, but I wouldn't want to drive it a mile on city streets. Doing so is like using a hammer to turn a nut.

As for the other, that guy is in dream land! The going p[rice for a REALLY nice 944 is about 4k or less...in the current economy. This car DOESN'T work. The body and interior look pretty nice. I wouldn't go a dime over 1500. for that car. Besides, he has to leave the country on 6/6. It's a no brainer.
He wants 8k. I'll sell ya mine for 10k,...and it's a 951 with a full engine rebuild, solid suspension, vitesse chips, and has recently been driven from Malibu Beach, Ca to Jacksonville Beach, FL.

That's about 1k more than the market would proibably bear for my car.
This guy wants 8x the market value of his car.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:45 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

And I couldnt have the suspension tuned after I drop my freashly rebuilt engine into it? I think it could. Everything is adjustable. In the end its only a 944. Any 944 could be a winner with enough money. If I dropped my engine into it, added my 951 brakes, and had the suspension tuned for my engine,... that car would be a killer.

It would be my toy. I always wanted to try DE. This car would be perfect for it obviously. The owenr drives it on the road hence the tire trailer that comes with the car.

So yea. What makes you think I would ruin this car? S#$% happens. Yes. Look at my current car. But im not the only one to wreck one of this. 30 years of age and that was my FIRST accident. I have 2 points on my licence. I am not a wreckless driver. Nor am I a retard.
You blew the logic of your point with your first sentence or two. ANY CAR could be a winner with enough money. How much you got?
Old 05-30-2010, 06:33 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by ehall
You blew the logic of your point with your first sentence or two. ANY CAR could be a winner with enough money. How much you got?
It was a general statement. I dont have tons of money to have someone proffesionally tune my car. I would do my best to get it right myself. And to your standards that would a cold day in hell...

Maybe I'll just wait. I dont know. Really want soemthing cheaper. SoI can add everything as new.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:25 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You sure do read a lot into a little.

Be careful not too let that chip on your shoulder become a mountain. The World weighs enough on it's own.
No one here can help you until you define your terms.
My standards are realistic and come from experience rather than hopes.

"Adjusting" is not FREE. It costs time and money; and suspension, especially, requires engineering and expertise.

I'm not trying to disuade you. I'm trying to give you a real world assessment of the situation as you have explained it.
If you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions.

Some of the very best minds in the 944/951/968 community have attempted to provide you their expertise for absolutely free, and you have treated them like ****.
I thought I'd try to give you some real world info, even after seeing that, without any problem doing so, but frankly, you leave me with little desire to do so again.

I don't know who you are nor what you wish to prove, but you'll catch a lot more bees with honey than with vinegar.

I'll leave you with this.
DON'T try to cram a 951 engine into a 944 NA.
Do cram a 951 engine into a 944S2 body, if you can get one for a good price.
Try to find a 951 rolling chassis and transplant the guts of your wrecked car into the new body. That's probably the best option.
DON'T spit at people who are simply trying to be nice and help you.

There aren't many of us and we DO remember those that spit at us.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:04 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by ehall
You sure do read a lot into a little.

Be careful not too let that chip on your shoulder become a mountain. The World weighs enough on it's own.
No one here can help you until you define your terms.
My standards are realistic and come from experience rather than hopes.

"Adjusting" is not FREE. It costs time and money; and suspension, especially, requires engineering and expertise.

I'm not trying to disuade you. I'm trying to give you a real world assessment of the situation as you have explained it.
If you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions.

Some of the very best minds in the 944/951/968 community have attempted to provide you their expertise for absolutely free, and you have treated them like ****.
I thought I'd try to give you some real world info, even after seeing that, without any problem doing so, but frankly, you leave me with little desire to do so again.

I don't know who you are nor what you wish to prove, but you'll catch a lot more bees with honey than with vinegar.

I'll leave you with this.
DON'T try to cram a 951 engine into a 944 NA.
Do cram a 951 engine into a 944S2 body, if you can get one for a good price.
Try to find a 951 rolling chassis and transplant the guts of your wrecked car into the new body. That's probably the best option.
DON'T spit at people who are simply trying to be nice and help you.

There aren't many of us and we DO remember those that spit at us.
What the hell are you talking about?!?!? You know what,... your a jerk off. Im asking for opinions. Doesnt mean I have to take it into consideration. Its only to guide me along. When I have a group of people saying YES! You can install your 51 stuff into a NA chassis,... then have YOU saying not too. Who to believe! I dont know you! Who the hell are you! Im trying to weigh everything out here. I have different info being thrown at me from all angles. Whats the right info?!?!? There is no right info! Only opinions. Your accusing me of spitting on everyone or you because im not taking YOUR advice. Again who are hell you?!?!? Ever since I came her I have had nothing but people shooting me down,... take your car to the dump and forget about it. Your going to fix that that? Why?!?!? Do yourself a favor and jsut buy another running 51. Spitting on you guys?!??! Give me a F@#$%% break!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:05 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

"Don't believe everything you read on rennlist. For every 15 opinions one of them actually has some experience."
Jeremy Himsel
Old 05-30-2010, 11:15 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

E... take a break man... you know what arguing on the internet is comparable to?

CVIRV, are you a half decent fabricator, or do you have enough $$ to pay one? If not follow the advice given to find a rolling 951 chassis and transplant your stuff into it.

That is all.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:27 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...item414ff4b107

http://parkersburg.craigslist.org/ctd/1724697840.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1708488258.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1731898145.html

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1764679964.html

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1707995644.html

http://hickory.craigslist.org/pts/1723059164.html

http://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/1717617099.html

There are more... a LOT more... but you have to be looking for the right thing in the first place.... this just covers the mid Atlantic region....

http://www.searchtempest.com/results...ch_string_neg=

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 05-30-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:34 AM
C ANDERSON
Racer

This is the first time I have read all 10 pages of a thread complete . LMAO.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:16 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

[QUOTE=JohnKoaWood;7613994CVIRV, are you a half decent fabricator[/QUOTE]

Actually I am. Sorry for not disclosing that. Everyone is so quick to shoot nasty comments as oppose to asking me questions.

I was told that I would be able to bolt everything right up to a late NA chassis with no problems. Early chassis = problems. This is why I was considering an NA. Even if there was some minor fitment issues. I could easily take care of that. There are alot more NA's than 51's available. Most of which you posted there I have already seen and sent emails. Either theres no reply and the car has been hit. There are two I havent seen though. BUT,... they are all hundreds of miles away.

I just dont see what the problem is if I drop all my goodies into an NA and then upgrade the suspension close to the "race car". Koni adjustables all around. 300# springs up front. 30mm torsion bars in back, adjustable sways front and back. Wide tires maybe even a wide body. Rebuild my engine along with the turbo. New WG, new exhaust, manual boost controller, chip, yadda yadda. How would that be bad. The cars suspension would handle the extra power fine. Put my turbo front on it. Get a rear valance,.... you wouldnt even be able to tell the difference. Install my LSD tranny,... rebuild and install my 51 calipers,..
Old 05-30-2010, 12:17 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by C ANDERSON
This is the first time I have read all 10 pages of a thread complete . LMAO.
What part of this thread is the most entertaining?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:11 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Actually I am. Sorry for not disclosing that. Everyone is so quick to shoot nasty comments as oppose to asking me questions.

I was told that I would be able to bolt everything right up to a late NA chassis with no problems. Early chassis = problems. This is why I was considering an NA. Even if there was some minor fitment issues. I could easily take care of that. There are alot more NA's than 51's available. Most of which you posted there I have already seen and sent emails. Either theres no reply and the car has been hit. There are two I havent seen though. BUT,... they are all hundreds of miles away.

I just dont see what the problem is if I drop all my goodies into an NA and then upgrade the suspension close to the "race car". Koni adjustables all around. 300# springs up front. 30mm torsion bars in back, adjustable sways front and back. Wide tires maybe even a wide body. Rebuild my engine along with the turbo. New WG, new exhaust, manual boost controller, chip, yadda yadda. How would that be bad. The cars suspension would handle the extra power fine. Put my turbo front on it. Get a rear valance,.... you wouldnt even be able to tell the difference. Install my LSD tranny,... rebuild and install my 51 calipers,..
The 951 into a N/A is NOT a bolt in solution... it CAN be done... just not easily...

Quickest solution is a 951 chassis in need to a new motor I posted several links up and down the east coast... they are out there, and can be had relatively cheaply...

a 951 chassis is a bolt in your stuff solution.. anything else WILL require fabrication of parts that aren't there, holes that need to be made, and supports that don't exist in the normally aspirated members of the breed... this is not to say it can't be done, it HAS been done... but it is difficult to do well...

Quick Reply: CVRIV's Project 951