Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CVRIV's Project 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The 951 and post '85.5 n/a chassis is exactly the same. We are talking about swapping the entire driveline over including suspension and brakes.

I still think your better off opening up your budget a little and looking for a better car. The 951's you have been posting are frankly all ****boxes because you are scraping the bottom of the barrel. With the $10k in your pocket you can find yourself a decent running example of a 951 that will not require you to swap an entire cars worth of parts over to make it run right and be road worthy. This is the far easier and cheaper solution in the long run. In my opinion you are trying to polish a turd right now, which coincidentally is possible. Plus again, no to sound like an ******* but reading these posts i wonder if your mechanical ability is up to par with the time frame you are looking to finish this in.

Take my advice for what its worth, but i say part out your current car or just sell the entire thing to someone willing to part it out, take the extra $$ and put it towards getting a GOOD RUNNING $8-9k 951 in top running shape. I just dont think it makes any sense (or cents for that matter) to try and swap everything over to another car where $10k is plenty to find a good running car in the first place. Dont take this the wrong way, but there was nothing special about your wrecked car to warrant doing this. And what i mean by this is no, you did not have a high dollar suspension in the car or a 3.0L engine or even a worked stock engine.... by all accounts it was a mostly stock 951...and you can buy a mostly stock, running car for the money you have. Why go through all of this trouble when you could theoretically own and be driving a running car by the end of next week. Id much rather do this than spend the next XX amount of months trying to get a ****box running right.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 05-30-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:34 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1712084311.html

$700
Old 05-30-2010, 01:36 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really? I was told that the chassis were all the same except for the 88's and up I think which have gussets??!?! So what would be required of me to get my engine into an NA. Not that I dont want to take your advice to buy a 951 chassis. Im just curious about the NA chassis. What difference is there that I would have to make parts? What kind of parts to be made? Trying to figure ot the extent of the work. Maybe you can link me to a NA that went through what I might do. Thanks.

The NA in PA,... the guy emailed me back. Im pretty sure i can get the car for 2000. e didnt give a definite yes or no,... but, here:

"I like straight forward. Not only do I not feel like you'd be "stealing," the car for $2000 (apologize for the double negative) but I just commissioned in the Air Force and leave for California in two weeks, so I'd rather sell the car before I head out. I knew I wasn't going to get $8000 for it, I have over $12000 into the car (including what I payed for it)... I purchased the car for a higher price then I should have, based my decision on emotion I suppose. Any who, that's enough of my story. I'm in Maryland until Wednesday; but I highly advise you swing by Dougherty Automotive and check out the car. They can answer any questions you might have."

It's not a YES! but its,... positive. I know your all grinding your teeth on this. Bare with me. The thing I dont like about the 951's up and down the east coast is that the really cheap ones are kind of a mess. Would cost a lot more to get it looking really nice. Not including the money spent on upgrades. Some of them arent even responding.

Please just give me some info on what would be needed to get my 51 engine into the NA. Please.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:45 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/1758877367.html
Old 05-30-2010, 01:46 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

I know my car wasnt all that great. But I want to make it great. I understand what you are saying. But I really want to spend the time workin on this. Not just to have a nice 951,... but I want to learn it. I hate not knowing whats going on under the hood. Even if I did spend a ton of money on a nice 951,... there will still be doubts about it. I dont really trust anyone. Sorry to say. I trust myself. If I rebuild my gear and throw it into a already nice NA and then upgrade everything after that I would be happy as hell because not only would the car run great, handle, and look great,... id be happy knowing I did it. That I know my car. Half of owing a porsche is knowing how to fix it. I want to keep my gar so I can rebuild it. So I know the ultimate condtion of the car. I am stuck on this idea. I dont really have a time frame other than as fast as possible. I dont want to rush but at the same time I dont want to take my time. Seriously.

Here's what I want to do. Seeing that the Late NA's are teh same as the 51 chassis's I would like to buy a nice late NA. I want to remove its engine, drive train, engine wires and hose, brake suspension, everything,... and replace with my newly rebuilt gear. Newer better suspeneion etc. It can be done. I can do it. Just have some faith geez. I know there has been several people in the past that have failed. Not me.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I saw that already. Another guy I know from pelican had a rennlister go to see that car for him. The owner claims his has alot of stuff that it doesnt have. The front of the car is bashed up bad. I dont trust him becuase he's either lying or doesnt know his car from the back of his hand.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:26 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by cvriv.charles
I know there has been several people in the past that have failed. Not me.
I like your resolve
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2010, 02:29 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I know my car wasnt all that great. But I want to make it great. I understand what you are saying. But I really want to spend the time workin on this. Not just to have a nice 951,... but I want to learn it. I hate not knowing whats going on under the hood. Even if I did spend a ton of money on a nice 951,... there will still be doubts about it. I dont really trust anyone. Sorry to say. I trust myself. If I rebuild my gear and throw it into a already nice NA and then upgrade everything after that I would be happy as hell because not only would the car run great, handle, and look great,... id be happy knowing I did it. That I know my car. Half of owing a porsche is knowing how to fix it. I want to keep my gar so I can rebuild it. So I know the ultimate condtion of the car. I am stuck on this idea. I dont really have a time frame other than as fast as possible. I dont want to rush but at the same time I dont want to take my time. Seriously.

Here's what I want to do. Seeing that the Late NA's are teh same as the 51 chassis's I would like to buy a nice late NA. I want to remove its engine, drive train, engine wires and hose, brake suspension, everything,... and replace with my newly rebuilt gear. Newer better suspeneion etc. It can be done. I can do it. Just have some faith geez. I know there has been several people in the past that have failed. Not me.
Funny you would say that, because that is EXACTLY the same things they said when starting....

I guess I am in the camp of "find a decent 951 shell to put your stuff into" THEN worry about finding a nice N/A if you want to... I have both, and like both for different reasons..

Good luck, and I am sure we will all be lurking, watching, waiting...
Old 05-30-2010, 02:42 PM
aben8057
Drifting

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/1760213028.html

already stripped

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Whats the difference if I rip out all of my stuff and install it all into a piece of **** chassis like that as oppose to a nice NA chassis that is exactly the same? Except nicer. You guys re telling me I'll fail but still your posting turbo shells.

You guys keping cracking jokes. So funny. Thats why im here. Not because Im trying to fix my car.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:02 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Let me elaborate on my post:

The first link is if you want to go with the N/A to 951 swap. The seller has already stripped the car which would make your job easier. It seems that you could probably get it...cheap

The later post is if you want to buy a 951 outright, then maybe use your current engine/trans and build it to your likings.

I am one of hope...put your mind to it and it can be done.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:08 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Whats the difference if I rip out all of my stuff and install it all into a piece of **** chassis like that as oppose to a nice NA chassis that is exactly the same? Except nicer. You guys re telling me I'll fail but still your posting turbo shells.

You guys keping cracking jokes. So funny. Thats why im here. Not because Im trying to fix my car.
they are just messing with you, I know you will not fail
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2010, 03:41 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by aben8057
Let me elaborate on my post:

The first link is if you want to go with the N/A to 951 swap. The seller has already stripped the car which would make your job easier. It seems that you could probably get it...cheap

The later post is if you want to buy a 951 outright, then maybe use your current engine/trans and build it to your likings.

I am one of hope...put your mind to it and it can be done.
This makes me feel better. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:56 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Nice work. One of these has to be better than attempting a NA swap.

Damn, Lart. That's pretty cold. I know you jest.

Don't take the criticism personally, CVRIV, I think what everyone is getting at is that the route you are trying to take is not necessarily the path of least resistance. I am not a guru on these cars, but most guys on here are, so they are viewing your situation knowing everything about these cars, reading your progress (without knowing exactly what you are trying to accomplish), and are trying to steer you to an easier path. Some people want to build a car themselves as opposed to buying someone else's build, or a stock, good running car. Is that what you are after? There is nothing wrong with taking the good stuff from your old car and selling it, where it will help others, and buying a completely different car. It seems to me that you are clinging to your cars parts for some reason. If I were you, I would seriously think about how long you want to be turning wrenches on your project and how long before you want to enjoy being behind the wheel of a 951. I think that is what some here are getting at. That is just my opinion in reading all of this. I hope that you do get your situation straightened out and are behind the wheel soon. Until then, lighten up a bit and take in everybody's advice, let it soak in, then you have to figure out what advice is better in your situation. After all, you have the final decision to make where to go for the next step. Once you decide what you really want to have happen, the time frame you want it to happen it, and what it will take to make it all happen within said time frame, it should be apparent what your choice should be. From what I am reading, i think you want to make this happen fairly quickly, and some here are explaining to you that your expectations of how this will go are unrealistic. Not that it can't be done, but that there is an easier way to achieve the desired results, which is to be driving a 951 again, right?

Good luck in your endeavour.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:30 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The red one with the salvage title is in my neighborhood, if you are interested in it let me know. I can go and look at it. I talked to the owner about 7 months ago about it.

Quick Reply: CVRIV's Project 951