Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CVRIV's Project 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVRIV's Project 951

LOL! IT WORKED! Cost me about $40. Made a dollie. It holds up to 840lbs. Jacked the car up and removed the wheel and cv axle. I then placed the dollie under the rear jackstand point. I rest the car down on it and it held up just fine At first I tried driving it slowly but the car wouldnt move in any direction. I thought the tranny was busted.

I got under the car and looked at the tranny where the cv axle bolts up and saw that it was spinning because there was moly grease everywhere. So I figure that because there was wheel on that side which is touching the ground, it wouldnt work. Even with an LSD tranny.

SOOOOOO,... I got the tow strap! I tied that tow strap to the rear bumper where it bolts to the car. Other end to my 4x4. I towed it back far enough so that I could turn the wheel and align it with the garage. I then half engaged the ebrake and then pushed the car into the garage. Cant believe it went so well. All I have to do now is jack it up good and start tearing it down.

Oh and the car started right up again. Very rough idle at first but it smoothed out and was idling on its own like a champ. Couldnt believe it.

I think my one cv joint is busted too. Not sure though. It might of just came apart as the tire was twisted. I'm going to clean it up and see for sure later.

Last edited by cvriv.charles; 06-01-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Get som R-spec compound for the dolly wheels and you're all set for the track!!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Geeez. So where do you think I should get started?!?!? I was thinking I would remove all wheels, suspension, brakes,.... and then go for the drive train. Sound good? Do I need I need a spring compressor for the front springs to get them off?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM
manticore33
Racer

Glad you got it inside! The one you built might rate higher than 840. I have a couple of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html

However, I never thought of using them to move the car around.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you think you could handle taking the whole drive train out at once and installing it at once?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by carlege
you think you could handle taking the whole drive train out at once and installing it at once?
Why are you asking me what I can handle? It has to be done regardless of whether or not I can handle it. I will find a way.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is pretty simple to drop the rear suspension. It also wasn't bad dropping the whole drivetrain. All you need is time.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:10 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cvriv.charles
Why are you asking me what I can handle? It has to be done regardless of whether or not I can handle it. I will find a way.
WELL you can take it apart piece by piece For example: Trans Torque Tube, Engine or you can try to lower it all at once. THIS IS WHAT I MEANT. Obviously your going to have to do either one or the other.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:14 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

I got the car up on blocks. Took me a while to do it because im very particular about jacking cars up. Im still not happy with it. Have to tweak the whole the thing a bit more.

The front driverside jack point was caved in with the hit. Kind of the reason why im using cement bricks. Kinda of. I just dont trust jacks especially for long overhauls like this.

The car still looks like its slanting forward. Looks worse in the picture than in person. I will have to correct this.

2 bent wheels(front and rear) and 2 good ones. Anyone want the good ones? Cheap.

Busted CV joint. Possibly 2. I haven't got a chance to inspect the CV joint on the other side of the shaft. Im pretty sure the CV joints are good on the other side of the car. But im going to check them too. What a mess checking them. I pumped so much moly grease in there,.... just wow removing it all.

I need a coil compressor. I went to a local auto parts store and they had one but it goes inside the coil to compress. I didnt understand how that would work if the strut is inside the coil?!?!? Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:04 AM
95ONE
Race Car

obligatory.... That'll buff right out. But.. no. no it wont.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:16 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Yes it will. You dont know what your talkin bout. I can probably JBWeld that CV cage together again too,...
Old 05-22-2010, 06:20 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

I seriously want to know how the hell I crashed this thing,... I have 3 hits on the car. Hard hit to front driverside fender, light hit(still enough to bend the wheel) to the front passenger fender, and reall hard hit to the rear passenger side of car. The car ended up facing the same direction I was originally traveling. I think I spun a good amount,... lol.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:05 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

WAHOO! I'm a member!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cvriv.charles
I seriously want to know how the hell I crashed this thing...
That is usually caused by momentarily exceeding the technical skills reserve of the operator….

I would move the jack stands you have in the rear of the car to a point forward of the torsion bar carrier for two reasons - 1) the place you have them is not really safe – especially with the wood blocks! 2) they will get in the way as you remove things.

Cinder blocks are not that safe – they suck at supporting point loads. Go to harbor freight and buy some of their ‘mondo’ jack stands. Cheap, heavy duty and tall enough (24”). Look – they are even on sale!! - http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...set-38847.html

The front struts will come out as a unit – you will only need a coil compressor if you are going to completely disassemble them after they are off the car.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 AM
aben8057
Drifting

As Chris stated, you will not need a spring compressor. The unit will come out as one by removing the control arms, the 4-top strut bolts and disconnecting the tie rods.

BTW...for a spring compressor, try Autozone they rent tools for free. All you have to do is put your cc on hold.

Quick Reply: CVRIV's Project 951