Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CVRIV's Project 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010 | 09:47 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
cv, I think we all wish you the best of luck. I think this is a great project. I realy believe you are misunderstanding people. Most people are just trying to advise that it is cheaper and easier to find a turbo tub rather than an N/A car and swapping. I think it would be very cool to see another n/a-turbo swap however. Good luck and keep us posted.
I dont understand how you think im not understanding you. 12 - 13 pages of nothing but cheaper/ faster. Just because its cheaper and quicker doesnt mean its better. You people are not understanding me. You keep cracking jokes. Throwing "FAILS" at me. Im glad this is all entertaining to you. The only entertainment im finding in all this is when im under my car.
Old 05-31-2010 | 10:23 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Cv, look back at my post, I have not posted any cracks. I have seen some well done turbo'd n/a's it makes for a very unique car. So do as you will and keep us updated. Ignore others and do what you want with the car.
Old 05-31-2010 | 10:53 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Cv, look back at my post, I have not posted any cracks. I have seen some well done turbo'd n/a's it makes for a very unique car. So do as you will and keep us updated. Ignore others and do what you want with the car.
And for that I thank you. I will keep you updated. As soon as scott gives the the ok to come see/ get the car I will. I will swap my rebuilt engine into it. Scott knows this and is all for it. There's even a small surprise envolved.
Old 05-31-2010 | 11:07 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Ok, just for fun I’ll take another shot at it…
Cvriv – you will keep getting comments that you don’t like unless you really ‘fess up about your project.
Does any of what you are planning make financial sense – no
Does any of it result in a car that has any resale value – no
Will if fit in any sensible class for racing or autocross – no
Will it be easy – no
What are the chances that the ‘average’ newbie will get it right – zero
What are the chances that the ‘average’ experienced 944 owner will get it right – 15%

Listers are trying to give you some common sense comments to the directions you want to take. Many of us have been at it for a while and we can speak from experience. We are trying to help you avoid stuff we all have done or seen in the past.

If you put a turbo drive train in an NA car and get it to work perfectly you will be the proud owner of a fast $3,000 car (regardless of how much time and money you spend).

All that being said – if you are doing this because its just something you want to do regardless of cost, time or value when complete you will have some pretty good company. That describes any track car project I have ever seen!

If it is your goal just to have an interesting project then you will get some better answers and possibly some good support. I like your drive and interest…but the project goal is pretty confusing…
Old 05-31-2010 | 12:13 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by cvriv.charles
I dont understand how you think im not understanding you. 12 - 13 pages of nothing but cheaper/ faster. Just because its cheaper and quicker doesnt mean its better. You people are not understanding me. You keep cracking jokes. Throwing "FAILS" at me. Im glad this is all entertaining to you. The only entertainment im finding in all this is when im under my car.
Alright, I'm going to be the ******* that nobody else thus far has been willing to be. Doesn't really matter, as you seem to get ticked at anyone giving you advice anyway. You need to STFU and freakin' LISTEN.

You have repeated asked for opinions, or expressed uncertainty in knowing what to do. Guess what? If you ask for opinions, you'll get them. The LAST thing you need to do is get ticked off when people tell you what you don't want to hear. If you don't want to hear, don't freakin' ask. Yes, that behavior is a pet peeve of mine.

Furthermore, you have completely contradicted yourself. You want to "save time" by buying an NA race car, yet you don't care how much more time it takes to turn an NA into a turbo.

So, to get a vehicle that resembles your car running again, in order of effort, here are options you've looked at:

87+ Turbo donor: Just replace whatever you want from your car. LSD, maybe the engine, which I think you mentioned was freshly overhauled.

86 Turbo: Same as above, plus rear stubshafts, front lower control arms spindles, and brakes.

85.5+ NA: Basically, everything that isn't welded in place will have to be replaced. Exceptions are the hatch and doors. And the fuel door, too. Everything else will basically need to be replaced. Fuel lines, brake lines, master cylinder, struts, sways, torsen bars, etc. etc. etc.

That race car that you were so hot and bothered about? You might be able to reuse a handful of parts. Front struts don't fit with your spindles, so cross out that. All the brake upgrades are quite inferior. You could re-use the strut tower brace, camber plates, and 30mm torsen bars. Oh yeah, and the aftermarket rear bar. But that is well less than $1000 worth of parts.

Ever heard the expression that something is greater than the sum of its parts? That is what that race car is. How about the parts are worth more than the whole? That is what would happen if you used that as a donor. And I'm sorry, but the notion that you could just do a little tweaking to get it back to anything resembling as good as it is is freakin' LAUGHABLE.

And to top it all off, you weren't capable of taking off a brake caliper without asking how. 2 bolts and a hose, and you had to ask. I know you think you are abmitious, and that is an admirable trait. But there's a fine line between being ambitious, and being stubborn. Early on, you appeared ambitious. Now, you are just being flat-out stubborn. The difference is that someone with ambition will show a LOT more respect to those with more knowledge than he has than you are showing. Someone with ambition will seek out that knowledge, and heed advice from those with more knowledge.

Considering how dismissive you are of people who know a LOT more than you, you are dooming yourself to wasted time, money, energy, and emotion. And what really freakin' pisses me off about you is that you are dismissing people who are concerned about your safety. Relying on your setup is like playing Russian Roulette. Sure, you may get away with it once or twice, but if you keep pulling that trigger, eventually, you are going to get yourself killed.

Anyway, I'm out. And hopefully I've been enough of a ***** that you'll take a look back at those who replied with more tact, and realize that they weren't trying to be one.
Old 05-31-2010 | 12:15 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris White
All that being said – if you are doing this because its just something you want to do regardless of cost, time or value when complete you will have some pretty good company. That describes any track car project I have ever seen!

If it is your goal just to have an interesting project then you will get some better answers and possibly some good support. I like your drive and interest…but the project goal is pretty confusing…
That. As said before. I dont care about resale value because im not going to sell it. I couldnt even sell it in its current form. Why would I sell it later? It's mine. Or will be. Soon. Its not that im not listening to you guys. Im hearing everything you are saying. Opinions / advice is like,... free sample of food at your local food store. Its there for the taking but,... you dont have to. Its only there to persuade you. You know what I mean?

That being said. im 99% sure Im going to buy his car. 1% unsure because I havent seen it with my own eyes. I will rebuild my engine and drop it into that car. I might run into some issues but I will take care of that. Dont worry. Im hoping he emails me later on today maybe tomorrow. I really wanted to actually shoot to go see it/ buy it tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Scott seems to be a really nice guy too. Very down to earth sounding.
Old 05-31-2010 | 12:53 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Ewww. I have anger issues. I know this but you are.... not one listen to when you talk like that. Can't believe you actually hit the post button.

And your just upset that I'm not taking all this good advice. That's all. I wanted to hear your opinions so I had something to work with. I heard everyone. I chose to go the other way. Sorry.

Would you like a xanax? I have many
Old 05-31-2010 | 01:18 PM
lejams
Pro

"Apparently suffering with ~psychoneurotic paranoia~"

Has anyone noticed this? This is why I didn't respond to cvriv's response to my post early in this thread.

You cannot reason with a mental disorder or medication which apparently he suffers both. All normal logic is off the table.

Let him go and this thread die. Please
Old 05-31-2010 | 01:37 PM
67King
Race Car

Ewww. I have anger issues. I know this but you are.... not one listen to when you talk like that. Can't believe you actually hit the post button.

And your just upset that I'm not taking all this good advice. That's all. I wanted to hear your opinions so I had something to work with. I heard everyone. I chose to go the other way. Sorry.

Would you like a xanax? I have many
How old are you? I'm just curious. I stated clearly and up front exactly why I "talked like that." Maybe you aren't old enough to have ever had someone tell you something without sugar coating it. Sheesh, man. I just told it to you how it is. I didn't insult you, call you names, or belittle to you. I was just flat-out blunt.

12 pages of people trying to help you. You refuse to be helped. I don't know what your problem is. But it is clear you don't want help or advice. I'm not sure what you do want. Just stop asking people what they think, or what they'd do. If someone offers, something you don't like, the correct response is "no, thanks." Instead, you call folks like ehall a jerk. Call me a jerk, I don't care.

In the meantime, I'd take a step back from the car. And you might actually see someone about that anger issue you have. Seriously.
Old 05-31-2010 | 02:14 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Oh my lord. I stated what I want and what im going to do and yet you people are still hammering me?!?!?

What the real problem here?!?!? I would like to settle this. Please. This is truly getting annoying now. Whats the problem?
Old 05-31-2010 | 02:15 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by lejams
"Apparently suffering with ~psychoneurotic paranoia~"

Has anyone noticed this? This is why I didn't respond to cvriv's response to my post early in this thread.

You cannot reason with a mental disorder or medication which apparently he suffers both. All normal logic is off the table.

Let him go and this thread die. Please
Now this is funny.
Old 05-31-2010 | 02:20 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Help me do what 67King? I stated what I want to do yet you are still bashing me. Yes you are blunt,... but, SHUT THE F@#$ UP AND LISTEN! Thats a bit uncalled for. Did I talk to any of you like this? Nope. Again,... you gave me your opinions and I do not want to take your wise advice. I do not want to buy a 951 shell. I do not want to buy a running 951. I want this NA from scott. Whats the problem here? Again,... this is what I want. Its not about what you want. Im not spending your money. Thank you for your advice. Sorry I didnt take it.

Can we get a mod to close this thread? This is ridiculous. I cant post my soon to be NA project here because I know you guys wont stop the bashing.
Old 05-31-2010 | 02:25 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by 67King
And you might actually see someone about that anger issue you have. Seriously.
This is quite funny too. Especially coming from,...

Originally Posted by 67King
Alright, I'm going to be the ******* that nobody else thus far has been willing to be. Doesn't really matter, as you seem to get ticked at anyone giving you advice anyway. You need to STFU and freakin' LISTEN.
Old 05-31-2010 | 02:37 PM
67King
Race Car

Help me do what 67King? I stated what I want to do yet you are still bashing me. Yes you are blunt,... but, SHUT THE F@#$ UP AND LISTEN! Thats a bit uncalled for. Did I talk to any of you like this? Nope.
I am not bashing you, I am trying to help you. Help save you from future frustration. You are obviously quite easily frustrated. Help keep you from throwing away money, because you are not going to be happy with the monstrosity you are going to end up with.

Why did I use the phrase "STFU?" Because people tried being nice, and helping you, and you called them jerks, or were otherwise rude to them. It really isn't that much different than , yet folks don't get all bent out of shape over that one. Sheesh, I figured using a common term like that wouldn't be taken so harshly. You react so violently when people "LOL" you when you misspeak?

As I clearly stated in the beginning, I was going to be the ******* that other people wouldn't be. I was hoping that you might listen to someone who was direct with you. Obviously you need coddling. I'm not good at that, my wife coddles the kids, I discipline them. My mom coddled me, my dad disciplined me. Dad was more effective when I need "a talkin' to."

Obvious, neither method works for you.

Will you at least listen to people who are concerned for your safety, and move those freakin' bricks? Just because you got away with something once doesn't mean you will always be able to.
Old 05-31-2010 | 03:06 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Look at all the things that were said in this thread. Saying I'm asking stupid questions, stop posting this garbage, just junk your car, stfu,.... and your throwing my saying that a member here is a jerk in my face???

Again, you gave you advice, I didn't take it. Time to walk away from it. Its my cash, my time and my heart if I should fail. You don't even know me. But your so sure I will fail. All because I asked if there was a specific procedure for draining the brake fluid? All you had to say was no. Just undo the line from the caliper. That's all. Sorry for not being gun-ho and just unplugging/ removing stuff. Sorry I didn't already have that knowledge. Doesn't mean I don't have the inability to learn and figure things out. Look how far I got without asking any questions. Ill probably have the engine out on a stand before we stop arguing about this. Geeeez.

Quick Reply: CVRIV's Project 951