data search - cost to get 500rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kool
The limits of what you can do with leaf springs and a pushrod engine.

NASCAR pushes limits.

Don't get me wrong great car the Corvette for what it is. But it isn't in the same league as a GT2 or GT3 as far as innovation, build quality, and over all quality. A corvette is a great case study of what exactly you can do with old tech.

The Clarkson DVD Heaven and Hell where he compares European and American cars is a great piece if you watch it in the context of what the American car industry is missing.
Say what you want, but all through history simplicity has won races. More technologically advanced doesn't mean crap in the pits

Nascar engines have higher pistons speeds than f1 cars, honda motors have higher piston speeds than a CGT and make more power per liter

The leaf springs in the corvette are a great design. Made of carbon fiber, lighter than a coilover suspension, and the results are great.

I would counter what your argument by saying there is only so far you can go with a flat six that is mounted incorrectly.

PS: about that dvd: You do remember his favorite car was the Ford GT which uses the motor out of an F-150. Similar to the backyard built "Simple" gt-40 that demolished the competition at lemans.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Now they have a 100K car walking on 250K cars from a performance perspective. Next we'll hear about cheap interiors.....a dime a dozen....I see them every day......
Que!?!

All your other points are valid. And the C5 and C6 are amazing performers. But when compared to the competition they are the bang for the buck winner. They have drawbacks like the PP interior and the flat seats and bulky shifters.

We can all agree to disagree. But I would argue that the consumer has spoken and GM lost.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Que!?!

All your other points are valid. And the C5 and C6 are amazing performers. But when compared to the competition they are the bang for the buck winner. They have drawbacks like the PP interior and the flat seats and bulky shifters.

We can all agree to disagree. But I would argue that the consumer has spoken and GM lost.
Actually when it comes to the corvette (practically it's own company) consumers have spoken exactly the opposite. People can't get enough of them.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
Say what you want, but all through history simplicity has won races. More technologically advanced doesn't mean crap in the pits

Nascar engines have higher pistons speeds than f1 cars, honda motors have higher piston speeds than a CGT and make more power per liter

The leaf springs in the corvette are a great design. Made of carbon fiber, lighter than a coilover suspension, and the results are great.

I would counter what your argument by saying there is only so far you can go with a flat six that is mounted incorrectly.

PS: about that dvd: You do remember his favorite car was the Ford GT which uses the motor out of an F-150. Similar to the backyard built "Simple" gt-40 that demolished the competition at lemans.
A modded 700 hp GT with overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder. He also makes the point that the components for that car come from all over the world.

I want to like American cars. I really do. I would have a Z06 given the opportunity. All I am saying is that things could be better and poor decisions have led them down this road. When GM's best effort is the corvette ZR1 which is a super impressive car you have to take note. But put that against the best efforts of other companies and it is just another sports car. And for me that is not what it should be.

We are way OT. I just get really irritated talking about GM. They should be showing the world how a company should be run and instead they are showing the world that maybe you shouldn't fly your corporate jet to DC to ask for money.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Actually when it comes to the corvette (practically it's own company) consumers have spoken exactly the opposite. People can't get enough of them.
And they should because it is a awesome car for the money and it is amazing what you can do with refined old technology.

But the average Corvette buyer probably doesn't know the difference between OHC engine and a push rod. They leave that up to us whacko's to debate on the interwebs.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

A modded 700 hp GT with overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder. He also makes the point that the components for that car come from all over the world.
That was a joke, really. That's how all cars are today, including porsches. Even without the 700HP car it is still thrashing cars twice it's price with a truck motor. If you can't admire that then there is something wrong.

I also wouldn't say the ZR-1 is just another sports car... I mean I think the thing is fugly and I would rather have a gt-3, but it's a beast. It can hold it's own against any car another manufacturer produces today.

I don't think that being more technologically advanced always makes something "Better".

Some of the best cars in history have been bred from a simple way of thinking. The A/C cobra. The GT-40. The Corvette Z06. The Lotus Elise.

Lambo's are really technologically advanced but murc's are still fat slow pigs on the track
Old 02-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

And they should because it is a awesome car for the money and it is amazing what you can do with refined old technology.

But the average Corvette buyer probably doesn't know the difference between OHC engine and a push rod. They leave that up to us whacko's to debate on the interwebs.
The average porsche buyer doesn't know which end their engine is in, what's your point?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
ORLY?

how often do you hear of SBC's in normal trim failing?
GM's engines is not the reason it is failing...the redundant lineups and ridiculous labor agreements, along with poor management overall is....however this is a discussion for another thread, in another forum...

do tell about the bearingless case plz
For those of you, who are arguing that GM is failing due to a lack of innovation, please read the comment posted by the 19 year old, above. specifically, the following,
"GM's engines is not the reason it is failing...the redundant lineups and ridiculous labor agreements, along with poor management overall is....however this is a discussion for another thread, in another forum..."

The current Corvette has won LeMans, several times, as well as Sebring and a TON of other races and series titles. It's a hell of a great machine.

Does it compare to our engines, well they are both car engines, so sort of, BUT they are really apples and oranges.
I'm not a fan, to say the least, of hybrids. However, I might be inclined to buy a good Vette, if the opportunity presented itself.

I think most of us would. The last eight or ten years have been awfully good for the ole vette.

I just wouldn't cram an LSX engine into a Porsche. I like my Porsche for it's "German-ness".
Old 02-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
For those of you, who are arguing that GM is failing due to a lack of innovation, please read the comment posted by the 19 year old, above. specifically, the following,
"GM's engines is not the reason it is failing...the redundant lineups and ridiculous labor agreements, along with poor management overall is....however this is a discussion for another thread, in another forum..."

The current Corvette has won LeMans, several times, as well as Sebring and a TON of other races and series titles. It's a hell of a great machine.

Does it compare to our engines, well they are both car engines, so sort of, BUT they are really apples and oranges.
I'm not a fan, to say the least, of hybrids. However, I might be inclined to buy a good Vette, if the opportunity presented itself.

I think most of us would. The last eight or ten years have been awfully good for the ole vette.

I just wouldn'
t cram an LSX engine into a Porsche. I like my Porsche for it's "German-ness".
I feel the same way. Man this topic has been beat to death over the last few weeks. I might be inclined to swap one into an NA just as a dd machine.

For the cost of doing a really awesome swap I'd rather just add a c5 to my stable and have both.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I feel the same way. Man this topic has been beat to death over the last few weeks. I might be inclined to swap one into an NA just as a dd machine.

For the cost of doing a really awesome swap I'd rather just add a c5 to my stable and have both.
If you do paint it pink.

I agree that the corvette is a great car. I just want it to be better.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

how is that possible? i dont understand in depth the physics of a rotating piston assembly but logically an engine turning at 18,000RPM should have higher internal speeds than one at maybe 8000.

im sure you know this, ryan, but for others, keep in mind that the "leaf springs" are not the same thing you see on a 1984 toyota pickup truck..they are "transverse leaf springs" and act to tie the rear (fully independent multi-link IIRC) suspension together, somewhat like a swaybar...

the Vette is an amazing car...obviously in terms of bang-for-the-buck...what other $45k car comes with 430HP and weighs barely over 3000lbs? a vette will dust a boxster (which costs $5k more for a base model) every day of the week, in a straight line or around a track (with someone that knows how to drive in both cars)...

while lots could be said about the interior quality, keep in mind you are buying a sports car to flog and drive and have fun with...the 944 has cardboard door panels and a cardboard dash on earlies...no one complains about that.

if you want to be coddled while driving quickly, get a GT car like a 928 or a modern 911..
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Yeah after reading through of some of this it alowya makes me chuckle when I read that GM, and the LS motors are poor engineering....GM doesn't improve technology...blah....blah...blah......

Remember, the LT-5 motor? Co-engineered with Lotus and built by Merc? Aluminum block, 32V DOHC? What did GM learn? That the motors became maintenance nightmares, an engine that was expensive to produce, even worse to rebuild ....Sounds just like just like Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston doesn't it?

So they decided to go back to the drawing board and came back with the LS motors and If that doesn’t seem like much, consider that improvement comes from an engine with: slightly less displacement, smaller physical size, only one cam, only two valves-per-cylinder, pushrod valve gear, less weight and better fuel mileage. Low tech to the opinions on Rennlist? Maybe. Effective from a race and street car perspective? Absolutely. Parts at midnight on a Friday? No problem. Special tools or $120 /hr labor rates to repair them? Not necessary.
Sounds to me thay took a lo-tech concept and got a high-tech result.

Now they have a 100K car walking on 250K cars from a performance perspective. Next we'll hear about cheap interiors.....a dime a dozen....I see them every day......

Oh yeah, did I mention that the ls motors, at least on the Corvette is also designated as a LEV engine?
yup
Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

I just wouldn't cram an LSX engine into a Porsche. I like my Porsche for it's "German-ness".
Good point, and I agree, but it was awesome last year when a z06 owner came on rennlist to post "Who's 944n/a beat my z06?" referring to DVC's ls2 944.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by odb812
GM made a bigger 4 than Porsche though.
Not in a car.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 314 Posts

Agreed. For what it is, you gotta give it its due. Not my cup of tea, I would never buy one personally, hell for what I put into my 944's I could own one outright. I cant tho even if I wanted to. My brother would torment me for life.

Quick Reply: data search - cost to get 500rwhp