Winter project under way. Updated 01/07

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
lookin good Bruce!!

Thank you. You should stop by this weekend and look at it. No need to stay long, but it would be good to catch up.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This will be sooo sweet. I want to have a resprayed tub too. Nothing beats the look of a immaculate race car.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Yeah, I'm an idiot for thinking I could hold back and not post this. So nice to see her kinda together. Hood isnt fastened all the way yet. No bottom sideskirt on yet. Of course no glass or wing to finish the look, but I just have to post what I was looking at tonight. It's taken too long to get to this point to wait another minute. YAY! I remember when Patrick posted his pics of his car at this point. Actually it was further than this point! Anyway. Here are the pics for now. Tub is not painted, yet.

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-08-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:43 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool !!!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks killer Bruce! Much better than when I first saw that kit.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:33 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Cool !!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Looks killer Bruce! Much better than when I first saw that kit.
That's right! YOU were the one that went to look at it and then passed it up and posted up here for others to see it was for sale. THANK YOU! It really is a race car only set up though. No way in hell was that going to fit anything stock. The selling price was retarded cheap, but it truly was beat to hell. The hood is still a mess. It's pretty much un-repairable. But I have made it work enough. The shipping to Houston was over double what I paid for her. Thank you for the compliment by the way. I truly didn't realize how much hard work is was going to take to bring the front clip to this condition, but its worth it. I added the louvers and fixed all the holes and torn off fasteners. I replaced a couple clips and about 6 dzus fasteners. I've clipped and sanded many corners that just weren't working. It's certainly not on there to production standards, but it is well past race car perfect. Added bonus.... no header panel to fly off.

BTW the hood will not have those NACA ducting holes there for long. I will be installing louvers over those too. One long horizontal piece. From what I'm reading, reverse NACA ducts don't actually create any vacuum, they are only efficient at taking in pressure without creating much drag, so they really were just turbulence generating holes in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I haven't done much research on them because I'm just not going to keep them. I have much work left to do on that hood. But before I even bother, it's good enough for now, and will let me test and tune the car before I finish detail work like that. I didn't say FINE TUNE.. I just said test and tune to get the big bugs out. Then I will add the canards and Aero. Then, I will give her the finishing paint. 6 months away? But hopefully, she will have been run through many tests and video before then.

Here is generally the paint scheme I will try my hardest to translate onto the car. God help me. . well, and my paint guy. lol.

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-08-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:38 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fantastic. Congrats on getting to this point. Monumental task for sure.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks great Bruce!!! Congrats. I love it. Much jealousy. Yes, I know it's too hard to keep quiet when you reach certain milestones. May there be many more to come. Yay!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Love it! I was just about to ask why you don't have a huge air vent in the hood but then I saw you already are planning changes there
Old 06-08-2012, 10:31 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVE IT! I don't think I even knew it was a 968-esque front clip. Looks gorgeous. I also hadn't noticed the roof scoop. Baller status.

Man, I wish you were near me. I'd love to be able to help you out on this + heckle. What a blast.

Also, does your splitter need to be bent upwards in the very middle? Or does it have a small "peak" that extends a bit further forward?

That paint scheme will look sick on this car. For a second I thought you were referring to replicating the mirror finish, which I endorse wholeheartedly.

Final question: are you planning on extending the doors to meet the fenders? Or will you keep the gap there. From an aesthetic perspective, it's a wash, IMO. Functionally, you'll create some drag there though. Perhaps you're wanting to use that low-pressure zone as additional brake cooling? I don't think you'd need it, if that's the case.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duke
Love it! I was just about to ask why you don't have a huge air vent in the hood but then I saw you already are planning changes there
THANK YOU! The hood will actually have two vent sections. One will be a high pressure release. - Louvers. The other will be somewhat for downforce and for the radiator. - closer to the nose. Much like a GT40.

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
LOVE IT! I don't think I even knew it was a 968-esque front clip. Looks gorgeous. I also hadn't noticed the roof scoop. Baller status.

Man, I wish you were near me. I'd love to be able to help you out on this + heckle. What a blast.

Also, does your splitter need to be bent upwards in the very middle? Or does it have a small "peak" that extends a bit further forward?

That paint scheme will look sick on this car. For a second I thought you were referring to replicating the mirror finish, which I endorse wholeheartedly.

Final question: are you planning on extending the doors to meet the fenders? Or will you keep the gap there. From an aesthetic perspective, it's a wash, IMO. Functionally, you'll create some drag there though. Perhaps you're wanting to use that low-pressure zone as additional brake cooling? I don't think you'd need it, if that's the case.
Don't worry, I get PLENTY heckling at the shop as it is. They're starting to quiet up.

The splitter has been flattened out a little in the front and just extends. I will be cutting that straight again. It bothers me enough that I feel I have to do that.

No. The fenders will keep that gap there to let the air pass through. There will also be a canard inside that fender giving a little more downforce. When It is done, there will be a mesh screen filling in the gap. I know it looks a little bit "off" with them sticking out like that, but when I install the lower side sill, it will bring the shape together. Remember. This is the plain Jane version of what is yet to come. But its still overall, very close to it's final look.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:47 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Awesome!!!

It's looking like you are one your way......
Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

I'm definitely gonna drop by and see it Bruce!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:36 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Spent a lot of time on this. Measuring 50xs, cutting once, and twice, and then tweaking again. One guess.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Torsion bar housing replacement. Pretty fn nice.

Quick Reply: Winter project under way. Updated 01/07