Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Winter project under way. Updated 01/07

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Looking much nicer under there all clean. I sorta wish I could have dipped my chassis to clean the whole thing up under there. Is that a stock S tranny with factory LSD?
Love how much space you've captured under there. Looks to be heaps of room for a half decent diffuser. What are you going to do re the exhaust/s? One out each side would be mean and help with the diffuser.

Also, are you putting in a passenger seat Bruce? If so I assume you think there will be enough leg room with the tank in there?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you take the opportunity to raise the gearbox a little?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Looking good. Looks like a 5hp Briggs and Stratton would move that thing easily.
HA! I was thinking of doing something like that for fun to move the thing around the shop. How damn funny and cool would that be to just scoot it around. Very. But I know I should be spending my time in the car.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Looking much nicer under there all clean. I sorta wish I could have dipped my chassis to clean the whole thing up under there. Is that a stock S tranny with factory LSD?
Love how much space you've captured under there. Looks to be heaps of room for a half decent diffuser. What are you going to do re the exhaust/s? One out each side would be mean and help with the diffuser.

Also, are you putting in a passenger seat Bruce? If so I assume you think there will be enough leg room with the tank in there?
Kinda clean. It was very clean. All the gray and white paint over spray is on everything making it look "dusty"

Everyday. Literally every day, I wish I could have acid dipped the car. The budget wasn't as nice as it is now. So it just wasn't an option when I started.

Exhaust is going to be a true dual. I haven't figured out its path yet. All things you mentioned are under consideration.

Yes. Passenger seat will be in there. All the way to the back seat. That still doesn't leave an enormous amount of leg room, but enough. It also throws weight to the rear of the car. I Did the same with my Seat. Pedals are moved 3" rearward. This is the reason why I had to re- do my harness bar to allow more room. I sit quite a bit further back. (And my legs are not that long at all at 5'8") Another one of the details I keep talking about. It also gives more head room in all directions.

It has been quite a while since I have visited the different versions of our transmission. I don't think it is an "S" unless those were options on an '86. I was very happy to know it was a limited slip with cooler optioned car though and that's what still sits there in the car / pics today. A pic of the transmission codes is below.

Originally Posted by Duke
Did you take the opportunity to raise the gearbox a little?
ACTUALLY.. I am in the process of lowering the trans 1.25" (as much as I can without having to rebuild the torsion bar housing that runs across the width of the car.) I have to lower it to match the motor that is lowered by 2". This also brings the CG down in my math. It will still not be as low to the ground as the lowest points on the car, So dropping it that much shouldn't be a danger to scraping it. I'm a little embarrassed to ask why I would want to move it up? But happy to learn something.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Seems if you're moving the passenger seat all the way back there it should provide plenty of leg room for most people I would think? I hope so anyway. Similar setup to yours Bruce with oil tank going there and pedals moved back also. Means sitting lower and further back. The only concern I have is how it changes the view down the hood. Seems to be a noticeable difference in how far in front of the car it feels like you will have to look. There will be some adjusting to be made by the drivers .
Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Seems if you're moving the passenger seat all the way back there it should provide plenty of leg room for most people I would think? I hope so anyway. Similar setup to yours Bruce with oil tank going there and pedals moved back also. Means sitting lower and further back. The only concern I have is how it changes the view down the hood. Seems to be a noticeable difference in how far in front of the car it feels like you will have to look. There will be some adjusting to be made by the drivers .
Very cool Patrick.

And oh definitely. I hated the view right away. I raised my seat up an inch and all was well. Still a little bit less than usual, but acceptable by my comfort level.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Here are some minor details Ive been working on. Making the big fat hole I cut out for the Dry sump tank look like its not a big ugly hole.. Here are the pics detailing that. I'm only half way done with the big ugly hole. (starting to think I like typing that) the other half is a bit tricky and more involved. The rear tail lenses have been painted candy apple red with 6 coats. Here are the pics.

Big ugly hole.. wire wheeled.

Here's the piece I made to fit in there. I was going to detail how I made this.. That would take too long. It looks crazy by itself, but when Its put in the big ugly hole, it makes sense.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

That was one big ugly hole! lol
But it cleaned up nice as always.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

It was all that talk about the wire wheel that has me sitting funny...

That looks perfect there Bruce, and thanks for the snaps. I'll pass them on. They were talking about putting it behind the passenger seat now, which makes sense in centralising the weight, but I have so much space now where the Brake booster / M/C isn't. Seems crazy not to do it like yours. Is the whole tank sitting in front of the firewall?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

I have my tank in the same position and it takes a fair bit of space in the passenger foot well.
But the passenger seat can be moved rearwards about 30 cm so you can still have a passenger.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes, that's the question Gustaf. Whether to move it back or forwards depending on tank position.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

I'd say it's better to keep the tank closer to the engine. Shorter lines and easier to enclose the tank simplifies the setup . Plus you shift the weight of your heavy passenger rearwards
Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I've taken a break from the motor and Made a good bit of progress on my torque tube Thread

Here are a few things I got done so far this week. The lower front bumper piece needed some serious work. It was on it's last legs. It will be nice to see this whole front clip to it's former glory, though this piece alone was no small amount of work. I will be adding canards and update Aero to it. So this is pretty much a very plain version. Everything is getting painted in white. later I will sand again and Add the canards and Aero pieces for it's final black with Charcoal metallic color. I might even do a dual paint color. Black Charcoal bumper with light charcoal for just the Aero pieces. Both will be a metallic. Time will tell..

I completely removed all the broken and sagging and half hanging parts from the front bumper. I then reinforced areas that needed it with aluminum backing plates. I then Fiberglassed any tears or smashed parts. I replaced any and all clips or dzus fasteners and screens. I had to make a matching Brake duct guard on the passenger side. I had my body guy smooth out the lines a tiny bit. There is more body filling and sanding to go even though it's painted.
I decided to use the stock inside door handle. I know it seems crazy, but I really don't like the pull straps. To make the "pull" I would have to do as much crazy welding and fabricating, So I just put these back in. I'm not done with the doors yet. This one just has 2 rivets holding it in for now. I will finish the inside door with a little fiberglass on the back side of the aluminum to keep it nicely in place. I'm working on some "outside" door handles that need to be made first. Then I will have my Body guy paint those white this week also.

I'm waiting on some Louvers to come in for the fenders and I will blend those in and have them painted late next week. That will almost complete all the body panels for paint. Hood and the tub of the whole car will be last.
Here are some after shots, then lower are some before shots when I was fiberglassing and repairing.

EDIT: I just added some pics of what it actually took to get those simple looking aluminum pieces in the door with the stock door handle. 2 days to be exact. I also added some pics of what the bumper looks like on the car. The doors are almost finished and they will be white within a week. Then the top shell. You can really start to get a feel for its future look with all the pretty stuff all cleaned up and sprayed. It's just looked ugly for the most part. Its nice to see all the behind the scenes work shaping up.

It's amazing How different the same parts look when you clean them up and give them color. Check out the last two pics. Mostly the same parts. Same car. Looks so different.

Last edited by 95ONE; 05-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I came in today to finish the other door and re-locate the shifter hole 3" rearward. So I did that. Here are some pics of how I relocated the shifter. The first two pics are from the driver side. The second two are from the passenger. I should have stayed on one side for visual comparison, but didn't keep track

Pics from the Driver side.

Pics From the Passenger side.

Last edited by 95ONE; 05-20-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 PM
95ONE
Race Car

She is now on the body smoothing painters side. I have fixed all the cracks and holes. It is now stronger. But, all the extra fiberglass and rivets need to be smoothed in. That is where my body guy comes in and he will then paint.

At this point if I take any pictures, you will know what her general shape and look will be. I want it to be a full on surprise when She's finished. I still have to add some canards and Aero to the bumper and hood. This will happen later. So, here she is waiting for her smoothing and sanding, then white paint.

This is only for the front clip pieces though. The full tub and engine bay are still primer gray and still need some welding and modifications, so paint wont happen on that part for another 2 weeks. After that. It's a race to the finish. I get to install everything I can at that point. A few unknowns are still lurking, but it's mostly there at this point.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:52 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome work. This car is going to be something special.

Please take your time once you get her rolling. I want to follow your progress as long as possible!!

Quick Reply: Winter project under way. Updated 01/07