Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My norwegian track car

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:48 PM
guards red 951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Good luck with the stock TPS, I have found that the resistance range and rate of change does not work well with stand alones. D shaft TPS with an adapter works better.
OK, I see. stange that it works for Duke...
I wrote wrong earlyer. Its the resistance range that can be calibrated by the haltech software. dont know if it helps.
Do you have any experience in this?

would the haltech tps work? they use a D shaft. from haltech.com:

"The Haltech TPS connects to the throttle shaft via a D shaft keyway."

I have actually just bought a late NA cam, 9R. I know I loose top end power.. but I hope the intake will move enough power UP! response and quick spoolup is more importent! Tim at SFR is gonna put together a pretty nice turbo too..
Old 01-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by guards red 951
thanks for info! but take the oil gauge for example. the stock oil pressure sensor is wired to DME..? then it goes from DME to the 14 pin connector? and ends at the oil gauge.. aren't all gauges, rpm++ controlled from DME? the rpm is ok, ECU got a output for tachometers. its the gauges that is confusing me. how do I wire it up?
I mean, can I just wire the oil pressure sensor directly to the oil gauge, thru the 14 pin?

there are two water temp sensors stock.. one is for DME I think.. the other one(with 2 male pins), it that for the water gauge?

14 pin connector:

6 - oil gauge ----------- how to wire?
7-ignition lock ----------- is this needed?
8- water gauge ----------- how to wire?
9 - oil light ----------- how to wire?
10 - water light ------ ----- how to wire?
11- turbo temp sensor ---------- dont need it!

if someone knows what the rest of the pins on the connector are for, please tell me

thanks
Stian M
The gauges do not go to the DME. The 14 pin connector has one branch that goes to the engine and another that goes to the DME.

The wires listed above go from the sensors directly to the dash - so if you want to rewire the engine harness you can run from the 14 pin connector to the sensors. The only gauges controlled by the DME are the Tach and the boost gauge.

Thee is a second water temp sender just for the DME (with the fuel injector type connector). You can reuse that for your stand alone.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Just viewing the pictures of your cage. The diagonal cross bar on the main hoop. It appears to be facing a different angle than required by the SCCA - Different there?
And I use the stock TPS sensor with MoTeC.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The stock TPS might not work well Electromotive standalone's that seem to only accept GM type sensors and actuators. But on other more flexible systems it works fine. I've personally used it on Tatech, DTA and Link standalone's so I'm sure it will work on Haltech as well.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Duke
The stock TPS might not work well Electromotive standalone's that seem to only accept GM type sensors and actuators. But on other more flexible systems it works fine. I've personally used it on Tatech, DTA and Link standalone's so I'm sure it will work on Haltech as well.
The stock TPS will work with the Electromotive stuff....just not the best solution! I use the rate of throttle opening to tunethe acceleration enrichement and due to the decreased resistance range of the stock TPS the resolution is lower than the 'typical' TPS (I use Bosch D shaft TPS - oddly enough the cheapest source is Motec!)
Electromotive will work with just about any sensors, the ncie part about the GM sensors is that they are off the shelf items at any parts store.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

The stock TPS will work with the Electromotive stuff....just not the best solution! I use the rate of throttle opening to tunethe acceleration enrichement and due to the decreased resistance range of the stock TPS the resolution is lower than the 'typical' TPS (I use Bosch D shaft TPS - oddly enough the cheapest source is Motec!)
I'm not trying to pick on you, but I don't understand how the resistance range on the stock tps can be too narrow?
Since tps movement usually is measured in percent (0-100%) the resistance range only needs to be 100 ohm to give enough resolution. Because IMHO it's practically impossible to change the pedal posistion in as small as 1% increments.
Or are we talking about different things?

Electromotive will work with just about any sensors, the ncie part about the GM sensors is that they are off the shelf items at any parts store.
That's a good reason. Same goes in Europe for Bosch sensors.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Duke
I'm not trying to pick on you, but I don't understand how the resistance range on the stock tps can be too narrow?
Since tps movement usually is measured in percent (0-100%) the resistance range only needs to be 100 ohm to give enough resolution. Because IMHO it's practically impossible to change the pedal posistion in as small as 1% increments.
Or are we talking about different things?
Nope, we are on the same page, its more of a software issue - the tuning software is looking for a particular range (actually is volts per second for the Electromotive software) and the stock TPS has a very fast VPS rate of change due to its resistance range. I suppose I could get the stock TPS to work (not quite as well as 5v TPS) but I have had more than my share of problems with old used stock TPS!
One of the big benefits of going to a stand alone system is new wiring and sensors, if I am going to replace the TPS I might as well go with a different part - one that can be easily sourced and does not have the dreaded Porsche price tag!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 PM
guards red 951
Advanced

thanks for all help I now know how to wire up the rest! I will try the stock tps.

95ONE: we do not have any requierments that the diagonal cross bar should be a diffent angle.. that is under both racing and drifting rules. my cage is buildt under all NBF rules. strange that the SCCA got other rules..

most cars over here got the diagonal bar like this.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
guards red 951
Advanced

just a quick question.

the cam tower oil feed in the red circle. I have noticed that some heads have the "retrictor?" , and someone don't.. my NA head, do not have it. its just a open hole.. and my stock 951 head do..

what does that part do, is it needed? can it be bought? is it really a restrictor?

my NA head

my 951 head

Old 07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
guards red 951
Advanced

here is a little update on my project!

I have been struggling these last months to make my 60-2 trigger wheel to work. didn't happen, I tried everything! So now I mounted a 36-1 trigger wheel, ford vr sensor with MSD reluctor adapter-turns the signal into hall/square wawe, 4 MSD ls1 coils and some new iridium plugs, and everything works perfect

the problem with the 60-2 wheel was that the engine cut at 5700rpm. the 5" wheel was too small with 60 tooth, and I got a pickup issue. and tried both reluctor/vr and 3 diffrent hall sensors. the car was on a rototest to tune my engine, when we noticed that the engine cut at 5700rpm. because of that, we only run 1.2bar, witch is the smallest amount of boost with the wg.

here are some pics of the car, after a weekend on the track in rain

engine!

the four LS1 coil, whitch does a very good job! I got three time stronger ignition than with the 2x doble coils. and its needed, because E85 and high boost needs a strong spark1

here is a pic of the dyno chart(rototest), with 1.2bar and engine cut at 5700rpm. here I used the old doble coils, not the ls1. together with 60-2 trigger wheel. the tuner also didnt get the ignition maps right, because of the 60-2 wheel. plus the adjustable cam gear is not touched.
so it should be fun dyno it with more boost, and a ignition system that works! I'm planning to set the boost up to around 1.7bar, on next dyno
all number are hp and nm at the wheels

with the hp curve moving in that direction, I should have seen 440-450whp, at 1.2bar. not bad with stock headers and NA cam and I got 1.2bar at 3200rpm!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again very nice.

Looking forward to the high boost numbers.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

What's the hand lever in the cockpit that's connected to what looks like a brake master cylinder?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Hydraulic hand brake. Popular in drifting and rallying
Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Oh and the car looks good!
How does your ignition curve look like?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van
What's the hand lever in the cockpit that's connected to what looks like a brake master cylinder?
Norwegian Parking Brake....

Quick Reply: My norwegian track car