Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

turbocharger review - pauer tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007 | 05:27 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I don't think I've seen a single older KKK unit that didn't leak like a pig unless a catch can is installed. I just pulled a K26/6 about 30 minutes ago, IC all fouled up, J-boot and TB slathered in oil, and intake manifold was greasy.
actually, a crank breather catch can will not solve turbo blow-by oil issues, as they are two completely different and seperate sources of oil in the intake.

i also know this firsthand, as i have a catch can installed and still got blow-by oil from my old kkk turbo.
Old 05-18-2007 | 05:40 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I like to make up my own mind, I'm only telling you what he told me.
Looking at his shelves, he sells alot of Garrett turbos. As far as I could understand most of the turbos he sells are Garrett.
If you sell something like a turbo in Norway, the turbo will automatically have a 3 year warranty.
This is governed by Norwegian law. Garrett would not warrant their BB turbos for 3 years.
He has seen alot of early failures on the Garrett BB turbos, so he is reluctant to sell them.
He also told me that the T04e turbo in my car is ancient technlology (hehe), but he did confirm that it would work well with my car.
The owner of this shop drives a 951 himself. They have worked alot with Porsches.

I take everything I read/hear with a grain of salt, but it was very interesting talking with him.
He seemed to know alot about the effects of different timing, cams and fuel.
Old 05-18-2007 | 05:44 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just want to add that the vendor I'm talking about is the largest supplier of turbos in scandinavia.
The owner has something like 40 years of experience working with turbos.
Old 05-18-2007 | 05:48 PM
nize
Banned

who is this vendor? can i contact them?
Old 05-18-2007 | 05:52 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Norsk Turboservice / Svensk Turboservice (same company).
I'm pretty sure they would love to hear from you.
I'm afraid their websites are only in Norwegian and Swedish.
The guy I talked with today is Mats.

http://www.turboservice.no/
http://www.turboservice.se/
Old 05-18-2007 | 05:57 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me just add that I'm just relaying what the guy said.
These are not necessarily my own opinions.
Old 05-18-2007 | 08:51 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

I've met a surprising number of people with decades of experience in automotive modification and racing that really don't know nearly as much as they let on about. Don't take that the wrong way as I know enough myself to at least understand that I don't know nearly enough. Just because wisdom generally comes with age doesn't necessarily mean that everyone that's been around awhile has it.

Honestly, people listening to what others have "told" them is probably a large part of the reason there are so many misconceptions about a great number of things in our community. "I know a guy, that knows a guy, who's brother's friend used one of those and he said they suck!". It really doesn't get anyone anywhere. No one is infallible. So far, I've heard lots of stories like that from a large number of individuals about ball bearing turbos and specifically Garrett ball bearing turbos. In my personal experience, out of all of the cars I've used them on, or known people that have used them and have first hand knowledge of their experiences with them, the very few failures I've seen were all a result of improper boost control (WG line coming off and the turbo freeboosting for a significant amount of time), or some other improper setup (improper oil supply, etc). I'd look for someone with actual real world experience using ball bearing turbos on a car and listen to them. And I'm not talking about someone who simply installed one on a customer's car and was uninvolved with the car afterwards as customer error can account for a lot. There's a very good reason why Garrett and their turbos are so widely used in every motorsport on tons of race winning cars. Hehe, and someone on this forum actually had questions about steel lug nuts and if they were "okay" to use or not or whether they have potential issues(sorry dude, I had to). Jesus, you guys crack me up sometimes. Is everyone here an engineer or studying to be one because that would explain a lot. j/k I'm done now.
Old 05-19-2007 | 04:35 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Well...I bought my new turbo from this company:

http://www.turbotekniikka.fi/images/pic_etusivu_001.jpg

They are an official importer of Garrett, KKK, Schwitzer and Holsett. Yes, they have knowledge of tuning/racing turbos too. I went there to buy a GT3582R and walked out with Holset HX40 super ( 18cm^2turbine housing ). Reason? "Because you can have this ancient but BB for €1500,- or this modern thrust bearing but quick-spool for €900,-..." Saw the graphs, were given the calculations.

Both ones, Garrett or Holset, are not direct bolt-ons. Holset center section fits 951's turbo/engine leg, but exhaust plumbing (or turbine housing in size ) does not. And we all know what a Garrett installation requires. It might have been possible to get a hybrid with Holset compressor housing & wheel/center section/turbine wheel with modified KKK turbine housing, but the end result would have been worse ( in data sheet at least ).

While I do not have an exhaust yet, I can't give any numbers , but I will post the graphs when the engine is completed and tuned.
Old 05-19-2007 | 05:12 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I look forward to your engine running for a number of reasons Pete. That is one of them....
Can I also say that I don't mind a little lag so long as it's followed by some neck snapping-push you into the boot acceleration. My old k26/8 didn't reach 1 bar until way into the mid to high 3's, but it was followed by a nice little rush and generally unless taking off from the lights (I'm one of the people that don't try and fry my clutch on takeoff), it was easy to drive and provided a decent enough push. If and when I ever get my car back on the road with it's projected 450whp at 1 bar I don't mind that it doesn't take off like a V8 otherwise I would have bought one of those. I want it to give me that big rush when it hits boost. I think the majority of us are actually attracted to this property of a turbo cars. While this is OT to this particular thread, I think it is still in context. If we wanted a totally linear response from our cars we would not be on this forum.
Back to the program.
Old 05-19-2007 | 09:36 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Dual BB turbo's here fail very quick, and they are used by the Supra, Skyline and Evo crowds and are oil lubricated and not water cooled.

I have seen those dual BB turbo's at the local turbonetics shop (official dealer/shop), and they tell me that the failure was that they get cooked. Basically, the owners don't allow a cool down period after hard runing their cars.

Dual BB turbo's are sensitive, but it doesn't mean they fail because of the way they are built, or "special care", just cool it down right and you will be fine.
Old 05-19-2007 | 10:41 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I deal with one of the few recognized Garrett Performance Distributors that they list on their site. The guy running the shop I do business with has 30 years of experience with Garrett turbochargers and he specializes in custom configurations revolving around their BB design.

To add to some of the points mentioned, I was told that the BB setup is more suseptible to "failure" if it is not water cooled. The internal oil seals are made of a material that apparently deform or melt from excessive heat exposure. One recommendation for air cooled cars is to run oil through both the water and oil passage. Oil seal failure obviously wouldn't apply to the 951 considering its turbo setup is already setup for water cooling. Excessive oil pressure was the other reason for suspected turbo failure and a restrictor must be used on their BB CHRA. If your BB turbo has too much oil pressure and it begins to smoke, the turbo shouldn't be considered a failure. Running an additional restrictor is all that would needed to clear up the problem. They told me that the myth about "blowing your oil seals" is apparently impossible and that this is a very inaccurate term.
Old 05-19-2007 | 02:31 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Dual BB turbo's here fail very quick, and they are used by the Supra, Skyline and Evo crowds and are oil lubricated and not water cooled.

I have seen those dual BB turbo's at the local turbonetics shop (official dealer/shop), and they tell me that the failure was that they get cooked. Basically, the owners don't allow a cool down period after hard runing their cars.

Dual BB turbo's are sensitive, but it doesn't mean they fail because of the way they are built, or "special care", just cool it down right and you will be fine.
since the 951 turbo comes from the factory with;
1) oil cooling
2) water cooling
3) a seperate water pump for the turbo to assist in cooldown even after the motor is shut off

i don't understand why some 951 owners would even consider removing the water cooling aspect of their turbos when they consider upgrading. would you remove the radiator when you upgrade your motor?

don't remove factory failsafes when upgrading, and you won't have to worry.
Old 05-19-2007 | 03:29 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porschefile
I've met a surprising number of people with decades of experience in automotive modification and racing that really don't know nearly as much as they let on about. Don't take that the wrong way as I know enough myself to at least understand that I don't know nearly enough. Just because wisdom generally comes with age doesn't necessarily mean that everyone that's been around awhile has it.

Honestly, people listening to what others have "told" them is probably a large part of the reason there are so many misconceptions about a great number of things in our community. "I know a guy, that knows a guy, who's brother's friend used one of those and he said they suck!". It really doesn't get anyone anywhere. No one is infallible. So far, I've heard lots of stories like that from a large number of individuals about ball bearing turbos and specifically Garrett ball bearing turbos. In my personal experience, out of all of the cars I've used them on, or known people that have used them and have first hand knowledge of their experiences with them, the very few failures I've seen were all a result of improper boost control (WG line coming off and the turbo freeboosting for a significant amount of time), or some other improper setup (improper oil supply, etc). I'd look for someone with actual real world experience using ball bearing turbos on a car and listen to them. And I'm not talking about someone who simply installed one on a customer's car and was uninvolved with the car afterwards as customer error can account for a lot. There's a very good reason why Garrett and their turbos are so widely used in every motorsport on tons of race winning cars. Hehe, and someone on this forum actually had questions about steel lug nuts and if they were "okay" to use or not or whether they have potential issues(sorry dude, I had to). Jesus, you guys crack me up sometimes. Is everyone here an engineer or studying to be one because that would explain a lot. j/k I'm done now.
Talking about experience, you got none except some endless book or copied and pasted techno bla bla. What motor have you exactly build with what parts and how long has it been running with how muchboost/dyno charts etc etc. Deeds, not words and I don't give a s***t in all your "assists", your builds , not someone else.

Gt's fail all the time, I had a GT2871R fail on me withing 4 months. Turbo's are turbo's, if a company is a OEM supplier like Borg warner or Garrett for VAG, Porsche or GM they obviously have a good product. Borg Warner (KKK) has relative poor product supply for mid power applications in comparison to Garrett and getting info out of them is like pulling teeth. Lots and lots of big drag race cars run Borg warner KKK Schwitzer turbos with outstanding results plus the factory GM drag race cars run them too. People like you ride Garrett's nuts becuase they have very good marketing, plain and simple and if you would work in the turbo industry where 1000's of turbo's get sold you would realize that the Garrtts fail A LOT more than KKK's. I am not trying to steer some one to a specific turbo but those are the facts, period.

As far as the comment that the 26/6/8 leaks like a siph, lol, 20 + year old car with 69 owners , endless heat cycles with 200k miles or rebuild by a midnite fly by service, what else do you expect ?
Old 05-19-2007 | 03:39 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nize
since the 951 turbo comes from the factory with;
1) oil cooling
2) water cooling
3) a seperate water pump for the turbo to assist in cooldown even after the motor is shut off

i don't understand why some 951 owners would even consider removing the water cooling aspect of their turbos when they consider upgrading. would you remove the radiator when you upgrade your motor?

don't remove factory failsafes when upgrading, and you won't have to worry.

No such thing as an oil COOLED turbo, it's oil lubricated

just clearing that up
Old 05-19-2007 | 03:53 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by pole position
Gt's fail all the time, I had a GT2871R fail on me withing 4 months.
i'm curious, did this turbo have water cooling as well as the factory turbo pump? do you know how exactly it failed?

Quick Reply: turbocharger review - pauer tuning