Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1000 rwhp anyone?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:51 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, I just got off the phone with one of my informants who told me the true reason why porshephile is selling his car, it happens that he went to the dyno after he installed his new turbo and the other stuff and got no more than 217hp at the wheels so out of frustation and shame he is selling his 951, also I was informed that drifto is an alias name of porshephile, my informant is a reliable source of information for those who want to know his identity his initials are S.T.

Porshephile if you want to sell your car sell it to me I'll part it out, no wait I'll put it together and make more power than you, lol.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:08 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pfile

If low budget and resale value is you primary concern - by all means get rid of your 951 or it will only serve to cause heartache.

Get a honda rice car and be one of the zillions out there. Then you can get cheap aftermarket parts from a multitude of sources. no secret, no hidden truths, simple economics.

No need to have bad feelings about it. Seriously. Stop for a second and use your head. What did you expect from a 20 year old semi-exotic??
Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by evil 944t
No problem Michelle, give me a call sometime, did you move?
Yeah - I'm in Sycamore now and starting a new job there in early June.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:24 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Yeah - I'm in Sycamore now and starting a new job there in early June.
Dang, Sycamore??? Whats the new job, Farming? lol.. Maybe get a Porsche tractor
Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

No, the First Assistant in our office was appointed as the new Public Defender in Dekalb. She "poached" me from my office to go with her.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:29 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Thats cool. congrats!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lart951
Well, I just got off the phone with one of my informants who told me the true reason why porshephile is selling his car, it happens that he went to the dyno after he installed his new turbo and the other stuff and got no more than 217hp at the wheels so out of frustation and shame he is selling his 951, also I was informed that drifto is an alias name of porshephile, my informant is a reliable source of information for those who want to know his identity his initials are S.T.

Porshephile if you want to sell your car sell it to me I'll part it out, no wait I'll put it together and make more power than you, lol.
Haha, nice try there buddy. In actuality, I didn't even get as far as installing the turbo, so technically with a big turbo I succeeded in making 0.0000rwhp. In that regard, technically you could say I won as I've made the least amount of power out of any large 951 turbo setup, and that's got to be some sort of accomplishment, right? j/k I honestly don't know if I will ever be able to complete a single car project any more as I'm so damn indecisive. Just the other day I was about to sell my 911 to a friend, decided to keep it, then decided I needed to sell it, then drove it and fell in love again, and now I'm keeping it again.

Hondas are gay. The only Japanese stuff I like is RWD and only a couple AWD cars.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
You're from Australia and you've never heard of Vauxhaul? Haha it's the company that largely later turned into Opel, but most of the platforms on GM's better-looking cars, as well as the Opel ones, have Vauxhaul nomenclature. For example, both the Sky and Solstice are running the Vauxhaul Kappa platform.

Yeah I saw that same car in a magazine, tho I can't remember what... What I found interesting was the guy's relative low hp numbers, as well as his aero, and he's STILL able to purportedly go that fast! It's pretty much got all the aerodynamic efficiency of a brick w/ a spoiler on the back...
No I've heard of the Vauxhall but I didn't think you guys would have. We had them in this country when I was a kid. Now they have OUR Monaro and call it a Vauxhall. That's the car that is marketed as a Pontiac GTO in the US. Aussie born and bred.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:50 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

This is the only Vauxhall I am interested in

When in OT do as OT...
Old 05-09-2007, 11:36 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
No I've heard of the Vauxhall but I didn't think you guys would have. We had them in this country when I was a kid. Now they have OUR Monaro and call it a Vauxhall. That's the car that is marketed as a Pontiac GTO in the US. Aussie born and bred.
Uh, does it make 100rwhp? If not, start your own thread, lol..
Old 05-10-2007, 12:55 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Uh, does it make 100rwhp? If not, start your own thread, lol..
yeah, they have

http://www.ls1speed.com/largetwin.cfm

Good luck with your project, though! Even if 1000 RWHP is the 'dyno queen' number, you should be putting out tons of power at a slightly detuned level.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
Even if 1000 RWHP is the 'dyno queen' number, you should be putting out tons of power at a slightly detuned level.
I am sorry but building a motor to make 1000whp on all turbo boost and then detuning it is down right retarded. You can make 1000whp for way less investment with nitrous and then when you want to drive the car everyday at the "detuned level" your car is actually faster then the large turbo car with its lowered boost because you don't have the extremely bad power band. People keep coming up with these grand turbo schemes but in the end its all a joke.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
This is true, especially since BMW introduced turbochargers into F1. However, i recall BMW using the 1.5L cast iron block used in their 5-series back in the day. And being F1 and all, those engines were on their legs after each race.

Dave, it can be done, but just how much time and money are you throwing in?
BMW did not introduce Turbo's to F1 , it was renault , Actually most if not all innovations in regards to powerplant , in F1, has been introduced by renault ...

F1 Engines _ Valve technology
All F1 engines have used pneumatic valves for some time, first introduced by Renault on the late versions of the their V6 turbo engine.

Wire spring valve

Previously wire valve springs have been used, they use a coil spring (13) to return the valve (1) to a closed position after the cam has retarded. They required huge amounts of the detail development on their shape and material to reach the rev limits of around 15k RPM. The pressure to deliver power from 3.5l and later 3.0l engines required ever higher rev ceilings and metal springs could not longer be developed at the same rate as the rest of the engine.

Pneumatic valve spring

Pneumatic systems use conventional cams operating the valve (4) via a shim\bucket or finger follower, the valve spring pocket is replaced with a chamber (28) pressurised with nitrogen (held within a cylinder in the sidepods) that runs at a constant pressure to return the valve when the cam timing retards. You often see the teams suffer a loss of pressure in the races through leaks in the system, the driver comes in and mechanics re-pressurises the pneumatic circuit, this rarely works for more than few laps. Also when Engines are changed the un-installed engine needs a remote gas cylinder connected in order for the valves not to drop and hit the pistons.

Renault Electro-Hydraulic (Camless) valve actuation

Renault have not planned an Electro-mechanical system, which was commonly believed to use actively controlled magnetic coils to open and close the valves. Clearly the electrical and RPM performance required from the this system were not ready or suitable for a F1 engine.
What Renault have is an Electro-hydraulic system, where two pressurised circuits operate the valve (16). Valve return is still handled by the pneumatic system (52, 20), but the opening of the valves discards cams for a hydraulic circuit (50) controlled by a electronic valve (58). As this system can use high pressure hydraulics already on the car to operate the valve at the required RPM ceiling, the system seems almost too simple..! Infinitely variable valve timing plus the loss of the reciprocating weight of the cams and drive gears makes this an enticing solution. This solution has yet to race or to my knowledge even be tested in a car, Renault have admitted that as a broader automotive organisation, that this systems has been tried.

Last edited by A.Wayne; 05-10-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
BMW did not introduce Turbo's to F1 , it was renault , Actually most if not all innovations in regards to powerplant , has been introduced by renault ...
This is signature material.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:56 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Not sure if it was your intention but, please don't belittle me as some sort of newbie, "kid", or otherwise inexperienced individual. I've researched the RB series motors for years and actually done a bit of work on a few, so I do understand those motors. I don't really want a GTR as 4wd isn't my thing, I just like the motors for what they are and could care less about how "popular" they are.

I'm simply tired of wasting my money for diminished returns on these cars considering how much more expensive it is than the average "rice" car, yet how much less you get in return for spending all that money on mods. I don't like SOHC (911's are the exception), I hate the cam tower design, I don't like torsion bars, I hate how the steering wheel is so closed to your knees.......For one reason or another the car has just grown to irritate me too much. I just want something easy for once. Maybe I will fix my 951 and keep it, maybe I won't. I haven't really decided. The only thing I have decided at this point is it's not worth the hassle to me to dump $20-30k in mods on it to "achieve" a relatively useless goal when I could spend a small fraction of that on a better motor/car to achieve the same thing. Best case, I might still throw on some sort of 300-350whp turbo setup (k27/8 or something) and call it a day. I simply no longer feel like wasting all my energy or money attempting to build a dyno queen 951. There are better cars to do that with.

Not sure why you would take my comment that way , it was not mean't to demean you in anyway.

Now if you are going to do a RB26 , i would assume you plan on installing it in a 240sx, NOw having been privy to many such conversions to the tune of 900whp
i can tell you the 944 , to me , is a better driving car with better ergonomics and dynamics and i do prefer the looks over the 240. ..........
Now Stick that RB26 into a 350Z and it becomes a different deal , This i would jump on in a heart beat , great dynamics, great car with a jewel of an engine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1000 rwhp anyone?