1000 rwhp anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:37 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexx
When DOOM II was band by the PCA from Club Racing the decision was made to turn the car into an import drag car. With this set up we put down 936whp at 36psi the car was raced at 789whp at 32psi. Even detuned we experienced major stress factures in the block away from the cylinders.

145 whp for 4 lbs of boost , this is really an urban myth ! quite possibly the reason why you where craking the block .......unless it was alcohol ,then dis-regard.....
Old 05-20-2007, 02:52 AM
2bridges
Drifting

NOT WORTHY!!!!
!

what did that car weigh?
What was wheelbase?
gotta tell us best ET?

WOW, that is absolutely awsome!
serious ****!!!

Did the car ever actually hook - or was it constantly backpedaled to get it to go in a staight line? The driver must have a dolly to carry the pair it would take to run that thing at 100%.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:57 AM
JE_951
Pro

Even though that little "car" with that engine is cool as sh*t +fast and sh*t. IT would have been cool to see that engine in a 944. Im guessing a high 9 second car?

Im scared to push more then 18PSI in my car. if I was told I was running 36psi I would SH*t myself
Old 05-20-2007, 03:03 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why was it banned from PCA racing? Too good?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:49 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it beat everything badly, the rules were changed to outlaw it. It didn't fit the "spirit" of the rules.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:25 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guns951
Because it beat everything badly, the rules were changed to outlaw it. It didn't fit the "spirit" of the rules.
Mostly because norwood was at the time a ferrari guy , there was a lot of personal politics involved , i would also like to point out that this was the early years of PCA and it was not unusual to have 2 or 3 or 4 962's turn up for track events , it was nothing like today , every meet was a one upmanship deal , norwood ( the ferrari guy ) and his customer decided to build a Porsche to show the porsche guys how to get it done and they did , it was promptly banned , in my opinion, not to **** off a lot of very important people and never seen from again...
Old 05-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guns951
This is basically what we were told by the race officials at its daubed club race at Texas World Speedway after qualifying 26 seconds faster than the next fastest car. They allowed us to run that weekend and at the end of the event we were told that the car didn't the spirit of the PCA Club Racing and that it would never pass another tech inspection. So that was it one race and done.
I personally had 238 hours in on the construction of DOOM II so this really ticked me off. We even had PCA scrutineers out to the shop twice during the build to approve the car. DOOM ran a supercharge 3.6L F6 so when PCA saw that with DOOM II we were going with the little ol' 3.2L I4 I think they thought we were going to be way down on power oh how wrong they were. We actually made about 10whp more and much more reliable.

Last edited by Apexx; 05-20-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Mostly because norwood was at the time a ferrari guy , there was a lot of personal politics involved , i would also like to point out that this was the early years of PCA and it was not unusual to have 2 or 3 or 4 962's turn up for track events , it was nothing like today , every meet was a one upmanship deal , norwood ( the ferrari guy ) and his customer decided to build a Porsche to show the porsche guys how to get it done and they did , it was promptly banned , in my opinion, not to **** off a lot of very important people and never seen from again...
Nope it did not have much to do with Bob working on Ferraris. We ran White Lightning in GT2 for two seasons and pretty much dominate that class and never had an issue with the officials they just decided that the DOOM cars were to fast.
Oh and for the three years we were in Club Racing I only saw one 962 show up for a race

Last edited by Apexx; 05-20-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

145 whp for 4 lbs of boost , this is really an urban myth ! quite possibly the reason why you where craking the block .......unless it was alcohol ,then dis-regard.....
After talking to Tom the driver/fabricator on both DOOM cars and White Lightning. He says we were running 28-30psi in race trim the high psi dyno pulls were to test the head gasket and stud upper limits we made three pulls at 36psi all were over 900whp we tried two pulls at 38psi and the head started lifting
Here is a couple of more pics

DOOM II during original build
Old 05-20-2007, 01:41 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Nope it did not have much to do with Bob working on Ferraris. We ran White Lightning in GT2 for two seasons and pretty much dominate that class and never had an issue with the officials they just decided that the DOOM cars were to fast.
Yes,
But the gt2 program was many years after the doom project apexx, at the time of the doom project , Norwood was Known to porsche people as mostly a Ferrrai guy...
Old 05-20-2007, 01:50 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

After talking to Tom the driver/fabricator on both DOOM cars and White Lightning. He says we were running 28-30psi in race trim the high psi dyno pulls were to test the head gasket and stud upper limits we made three pulls at 36psi all were over 900whp we tried two pulls at 38psi and the head started lifting
Here is a couple of more pics

DOOM II during original build

Apeex ,
I'm not in a position to dispute Hp claims , so i'm not, as the total claimed is Believable , but you are claiming 35 plus Hp /lb of boost , if on gasolene , it is highly unlikely with such a small engine /turbo combination to see that high of a lift per lb of boost ..... this is what i was disputing , the HP change from 32-36 psi...
Old 05-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

That was many years after apexx, at the time of the doom project , Norwood was none to porsche people as mostly a Ferrrai guy...
What!
It was less than a year between Lightning and DOOM and less that two between Lighting and DOOM II.
Trust me I lived everyday of these projects I was there in person when the officials made their decisions. Norwood Autocraft campaigned White Lightning for two seasons the only thing the officials ever had an issue with was our initial roll cage and we added one bar and never had another issue
Old 05-20-2007, 02:55 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

What!
It was less than a year between Lightning and DOOM and less that two between Lighting and DOOM II.
Trust me I lived everyday of these projects I was there in person when the officials made their decisions. Norwood Autocraft campaigned White Lightning for two seasons the only thing the officials ever had an issue with was our initial roll cage and we added one bar and never had another issue
What year was doom 1 ?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I know I'm not alone in asking could you provide some more info on this? Excuse my ignorance but what was your connection with this car? Where did you experience the block fractures? What turbo's did you use? Any more pic's? You know there is so much folklore attached to these cars that we would love to hear more.
Thanks.
The fractures were occurring in the aluminum between the base of the cylinders and the outer wall of the block this space is the water jacket area around the cylinders in turn this allowed water to pass to the crank case witch = chocolate milk and no bueno. Since this is going on ten years ago I do not remember the turbo specs off the top of my head. Yeah there are a lot of rumors but the simple fact is there were only four people doing the majority of the building of these cars and I was one of the four.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

What year was doom 1 ?

Quick Reply: 1000 rwhp anyone?