Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Phuzion gasket? I liked the concept but was not wild about the execution.
The teeth on the cam trigger are quite close to the teeth of the cam gear – any false triggers?

I would suggest going to a crank trigger – there is a loss of definition with cam triggers. That might not be a problem with a ‘typical’ street engine – but with the power levels you have every bit of accuracy with the spark timing is important!

No knock sensor?....
Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Corleone
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Have you jacked the hood up at the windscreen side to increase air flow? Where is the head vented to? So you have your primary expansion tank and then 1 reserve overflow tank or two?
Yes the hood is rised in the back. It did not fit as I wanted so that was the best solution and some heat will also go away.

The 4 hose from the head is wented to the cool side of the cooler by a 4 to 1 collector. Cooling system is not as usual, the routings is different...
Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Corleone
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris White
Phuzion gasket? I liked the concept but was not wild about the execution.
The teeth on the cam trigger are quite close to the teeth of the cam gear – any false triggers?

I would suggest going to a crank trigger – there is a loss of definition with cam triggers. That might not be a problem with a ‘typical’ street engine – but with the power levels you have every bit of accuracy with the spark timing is important!

No knock sensor?....
Yes, Phuzion.

Actually no problems what so ever with the trigger, I have had an oscilloskop and it works without problems. We have also checked so the ign is stable to the map in higher revs and it is.

I have 2 knocksensors and connected to the Link, it lowers the ign if above the target values. When I tuned I did listen with earphones attached to Link knock box. Without problems.

It would be nice if someone like you Chris posted a ignition map for similar power. My ignition has been about 36 degrees at 7 krpm and 1.25 bar, of course with E85. I did tune on gas first so I had something to start with.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a lot of timing .... very nice
Old 04-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Corleone
Racer

Originally Posted by blown 944
That is a lot of timing .... very nice
Timing is the ****. It makes the engine crisp! I rather have more ignition and less boost, it makes it more fun to drive... and faster IRL.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Corleone
Yes, Phuzion.

Actually no problems what so ever with the trigger, I have had an oscilloskop and it works without problems. We have also checked so the ign is stable to the map in higher revs and it is.

I have 2 knocksensors and connected to the Link, it lowers the ign if above the target values. When I tuned I did listen with earphones attached to Link knock box. Without problems.

It would be nice if someone like you Chris posted a ignition map for similar power. My ignition has been about 36 degrees at 7 krpm and 1.25 bar, of course with E85. I did tune on gas first so I had something to start with.
There are two problems with cam triggers – the cam is turning at half the engein speed and belt stretch / flex.
At half the speed you lose half the resolution and any flexing of the belt will introduce a timing error – do I think either of these is a serious problem? No – but I usually prefer to get the most accurate signal I can!

As for posting timing maps – not a good idea – I could do more damage than good. There are so many variables in a modified engine - boost level, fuel, cam, turbo efficiency, head mods, crank throw, sensor placement variations and planned engine use that posting a timing curve doesn’t really help. Somebody may take the curve and use it on a different engine and destroy it…

For example – somebody may read 36 degrees of timing at 1.25 bar and try it on their gas engine….boom….
Old 04-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Corleone
Racer

There are two problems with cam triggers – the cam is turning at half the engein speed and belt stretch / flex.
At half the speed you lose half the resolution and any flexing of the belt will introduce a timing error – do I think either of these is a serious problem? No – but I usually prefer to get the most accurate signal I can!

As for posting timing maps – not a good idea – I could do more damage than good. There are so many variables in a modified engine - boost level, fuel, cam, turbo efficiency, head mods, crank throw, sensor placement variations and planned engine use that posting a timing curve doesn’t really help. Somebody may take the curve and use it on a different engine and destroy it…

For example – somebody may read 36 degrees of timing at 1.25 bar and try it on their gas engine….boom….
Yes, of course you are right but so far so good...

About the ign maps, I am just curious about others as I have done about 75-100 ones to come to this point. Most people (experts) has told me that its not possible to have that ignition I have. Of course most rise is coming after you passed max torque. Fuel is a lot easier and do not take that time at all.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

E85 is a completely different tune.
36 degrees @ 1.25 bar would destroy a gasoline powered 944 turbo…I would love to design, build and tune an E85 motor – but E85 is not easy to find around here…
Old 04-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Corleone
Racer

E85 is a completely different tune.
36 degrees @ 1.25 bar would destroy a gasoline powered 944 turbo…I would love to design, build and tune an E85 motor – but E85 is not easy to find around here…
Yes, the difference is enormous with E85. I hope to reach 600 rwhp in the Rototest this year with no more than 1.35 bar of boost.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:28 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About Chris's point on the trigger set up when pushing the last from a petrol tune you are hunting for the last half a degree of advance and you simply don' t have that accuracy with a cam set up .
when tuning with E85 although you push the timing are you perhaps not pushing the timing as close to knock as a petrol tune ??
so is e85 a tad less fussy for timing ?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:59 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I would think that 36o is sailing right up next to knock, no?
Old 04-04-2010, 01:25 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

well thats what i'm asking I believe there is a few more degrees between max power and knock when you go up in octane ..can any one confirm or deny this please ?
last time i was tuning 105 octane (long time ) lpg it wouldn't just wouldn't knock it would start to make less power ..
Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Some updates...

I have had a gasring that had went into the cylinder, strange... probably it has been so since start.

Head is modified to evacuate air in the cooling system.

MLS is glued beween all layers.

Camshaft is exactly measured in now.

Still i had 563 rwp last year, hopefully it will be some more this year...
Be careful with e85 , I'm sure you are aware it is not 85 in the winter months, Intake and fuel temp is important you will have quenching , lifting the head. When doing so it will torch the block, that's how you lost the ring ....

Yes, Phuzion.

Get away from the cam trigger , they are only good for 7000 rpm IMO...

What CR is your engine ?

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
well thats what i'm asking I believe there is a few more degrees between max power and knock when you go up in octane ..can any one confirm or deny this please ?
last time i was tuning 105 octane (long time ) lpg it wouldn't just wouldn't knock it would start to make less power ..
High frequency detonation , you will detect no knock from conventional
knock system .....
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Corleone
Racer

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Be careful with e85 , I'm sure you are aware it is not 85 in the winter months, Intake and fuel temp is important you will have quenching , lifting the head. When doing so it will torch the block, that's how you lost the ring ....

Get away from the cam trigger , they are only good for 7000 rpm IMO...

What CR is your engine ?

High frequency detonation , you will detect no knock from conventional
knock system .....
I have used E85 for the last 3 years now. Here in Sweden E85 its "E75" in the winter but from about now its ok again. I have a lot of protection programmed for intake temp, engine temp and so.

Strange about the ring is that it have went into the cylinder, normally the cylinder pressure would have pushed the ring out from the cylinder...

CR is almost 9:1

No signs of knocks when looking at the pistons etc. so far...
Old 04-04-2010, 04:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Did the incident happen on a cold day , Wet? ....

Quick Reply: Corleones new engine is running