Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Knock sensor is under the intake, on the head I believe

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index...OD&ProdID=1001

wired to KLR pin 15
My understanding is that KLR pin 15 is the knock output to the DME. The knock sensor input is KLR pins 11 & 13.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from my understanding the knock sensor input is not a strong enough signal to get the counter to read. The output on pin 15 is simpler and an on off voltage. That is where I tapped into to get counts.

Does anyone now for sure what the voltage spikes are though( out of pin 15). I am thinking that I may try to use the extra input on the Zeitronix if it is strong enough
Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blown 944
from my understanding the knock sensor input is not a strong enough signal to get the counter to read. The output on pin 15 is simpler and an on off voltage. That is where I tapped into to get counts.

Does anyone now for sure what the voltage spikes are though( out of pin 15). I am thinking that I may try to use the extra input on the Zeitronix if it is strong enough
I measured the voltage with a scope a while back and was over 5V, maybe 7 or 9- I don't remember. I was planning on making a one-shot circuit to make it 5V and log on my SMT-6. The pulse wasn't on very long either.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Thanks. I'll be adding that to my logs then.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:49 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You cant really log the sensor directly, regardless of the voltage it puts out. Its a microphone with a bolt hole through it, you need circuitry to filter the signal to get the actual knock, otherwise youll get a LOT of false spikes from things like valvetrain noise.

A cheap one is here http://www.viatrack.ca/ it puts out a signal that should be countable. I have an unused one if anyone wants to buy it.

The J&S units are very good from all that I have read, but they are geared for acting like a piggyback. When they sense knock then can pull timing a bit. They are a modern, purple colored KLR in other words. They are also expensive beasts, $600USD from what I remember.

I use a Link KnockBlock http://www.linkecu.com/products/Anci...ces/KnockBlock same thing that Special Tool and others use. Also expensive (less than J&S) but utterly fantastic. I could do the hammer tapping on the block and watch it trigger, and if I set it to do so, hear the MegaSquirt pull the the timing. This one also has a headphone output so you can listen to what its picking up (valves ticking, lifters, theres the whine of the cam belt, the whole lot. Quite neat to listen to on the stereo as you drive along if you have an Aux input like mine )

This could be for sale later this summer, im debating going with a Link G4 Extreme or a ViPEC V88 both of which have the KnockBlock built in. Still trying to decide. I will post. Dave at CEP is a supplier for these.

There are others as well, like Phormula, that get good reviews.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:34 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Brian, hope your recent maladies with the motor weren't knock related?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Brian, hope your recent maladies with the motor weren't knock related?
No, my boost was low and even then I wasnt boosting much.

Im pulling the engine out right now, so I should have pics of whats wrong soon

The maybe selling the Link KnockBlock is because I might be getting a ViPEC V88 which has it built in.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Ok.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
The maybe selling the Link KnockBlock is because I might be getting a ViPEC V88 which has it built in.
The ViPEC is a rebadged Link G4 Extreme. The Extreme is getting knock control per cylinde so, I wouldn't be to quick to buy a knock off(pun intended). Link will always have the free updates before ViPec. Link will soon have true traction control too. Check out their site for monthly updates.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evil 944t
The ViPEC is a rebadged Link G4 Extreme. The Extreme is getting knock control per cylinde so, I wouldn't be to quick to buy a knock off(pun intended). Link will always have the free updates before ViPec. Link will soon have true traction control too. Check out their site for monthly updates.
Ya ive been comparing them both and trying to decide.... ViPEC seems to have some neat features in the pipe too. This is the first ive heard of Link getting individual cyl knock though. I guess that would require a cam sensor, anything else tho?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
mzman
Instructor

Originally Posted by blown 944
I think Rogue is working with someone using a stock car and a knock counter with some timing variation?? You may want to PM him.

Myself I am still only seeing 1 max in a single gear pull. (This is w/o the hobbs switch activation)

I will get a couple just pulling out of the driveway and a couple taking off from a light and some bs low load counts.

I was working on a new configuration so I elected to leave the pressure threshold out of the equation and man it racks em up much quicker. It went from a count of less than 200 to many thousand since. I will be wiring the pressure and activation (power supply) back up shortly and getting another counter.

Where did you get the Hobbs pressure switch from?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Napa,

there are different pressures available and make sure you get the NO (normally open) version.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
My understanding is that KLR pin 15 is the knock output to the DME. The knock sensor input is KLR pins 11 & 13.
Pin 15 is actually the KLR output to the diagnostic port, but it is the knock output... if looking for adding a knock counter you only need to know which one, and where to connect it to, not all the other bits... Right?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:04 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Pin 15 is actually the KLR output to the diagnostic port, but it is the knock output... if looking for adding a knock counter you only need to know which one, and where to connect it to, not all the other bits... Right?
Yup, I just installed one. You can make a simple harness as shown in this thread to plug in the diag port. Then it's truly plug and play.

I bought the Curtis counter but am looking for one that is resetable and backlit. I may try soldering a surface mount resistor to make it resetable but still it's not backlit so not sure it's worth the effort.

I might sell the one I made and make my own LED counter/display board to put in place of the ODO.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:13 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by fast951
For those running the knock counter, have you tried to induce knock by tapping on the engine block? If so, please explain in details what you did.

My main concern with any knock display (or control) system is how do you test and verify the proper operation of such system.
If using the stock knock sensor/system and simply wiring in a counter display then having the display IS testing for proper operation. That's what the factory would do and why there is a test port for looking at knock counts. Wiring it into pin 15 on the KLR or even easier to pin 4 on the KLR test port shows what counts that the KLR is actually considering a knock.

I haven't yet tried tapping with a screwdriver/hammer on the engine but I would think a good knock sensing system would be able to distinguish that frequency from engine "ping".

Quick Reply: Knock counting, What's good