Knock counting, What's good

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:03 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

Damn I need to find my DC-AC adapter..my laptop dies after an hour or so....or just put a In dash PC in... hmmmmm
Better than an inverter, get a 12 volt supply for your laptop.

http://www.epowersupply.us/
Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
It is a great deal I hate to miss. Believe me, I was tempted but I'm saving that money for any last minute unexpected baby stuff we may need. The wifey-to-be would kill me...well more like throw our dishes at me until I am at least blinded in one eye...if I spent this money on that right now.

The G4 has been growing on me the more I read about it. Whatever I end up with I will be looking to do it as cheap as possible since I can do the sensor mount fab work and all the wiring myself...even while sleep deprived.
G4 Extreme is what ill be getting soon I think, nothing comparable out there short of Motec and high end stuff like that. Haltech is meh, Wolf3D is lacking some important features (knock control) but is the only thing comparable for inputs/outputs, so many others just have 2 or 3 spare inputs/outputs which is utterly useless even bigish names like Autronic and DTA.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:10 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theedge
Better than an inverter, get a 12 volt supply for your laptop.

http://www.epowersupply.us/
Bookmarked, thanks
Old 07-25-2009, 12:55 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
John,
What boost and what fuel?

-Rogue
93 Octane pump gas, 14 PSI, K26-6, stock exhaust, Scivision MAF, 55lb injectors, 3bar fpr, Zietronix for data logging, Curtis knock counter.. no knocks at WOT yet!

Originally Posted by Andy1212
Why is the timing so advanced at low RPMs?
Extra oomph below boost range...it retards as boost comes on and then advances again as RPMs build...
Old 07-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John,
That is a lot of timing for pump fuel... Have you verified that the counter is working properly and checked the plugs for signs of knock?

-Rogue
Old 07-25-2009, 06:38 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
John,
That is a lot of timing for pump fuel... Have you verified that the counter is working properly and checked the plugs for signs of knock?

-Rogue
Went out today, some more data collection and a little tuning of the fuel and ignition maps..

I was seeing a lot of knock in 5th, from 2KRPM HARD PULL, took out some of the timing up top.. last 2 runs done with these maps were 2 knocks on shifts....

Knock counter is up to 85 counts (started the day at 34)... I may look into a new pickup, or check (hammer to intake/block) the pickup to see if I can initiate a knock count at idle...

all of my indications are the knock counter is working correctly, and the software is indicating true values as slight changes do increase or decrease both the knock occurrence (ignition values) and the AFR (fuel values).. I usually run 1 bottle of STP fuel system treatment per tank, but not for these tuning runs, I added it after the runs were over...

I can pull my plugs, but as I have been actively changing the values and seeing knock, they SHOULD show some signs... But I can clean them up, re-install them, and continue to monitor..
Old 07-25-2009, 06:55 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I'm going to turn boost down a bit as I was seeing spikes to almost 15PSI, and below 13PSI an oil leak at the back of the motor goes away (#3 has the lowest compression and at high values is giving me blow by past the rings... Engine is getting refreshed this winter (if it holds together that long).. little bit larger bore, new turbo, and a few other bits and pieces.. All said and done, I feel my knock sensor IS working, as are the DME/KLR controls as the knock events are short lived... I may back down the timing a bit to offer greater margin for bad gas or high ambient temps, but the setup seems to be working quite well for me right now
Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a lot of timing, what are the AFR's in the higher rpms. Is it rich??
Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

11.9:1 at 4k, down to 11.5:1 at 6K... not to rich (93 should yield best Torque at around 11.5:1 but best HP at 12.5:1 or so... I'm in the band for best Torque, bellow for best power...But Knocking should increase if I lean it out too much more.. my partial throttle mixtures drop to 12.5ish and recover (DME) to 14.7:1 (NB O2 sensor is working).... cruise mixtures are 14.7ish all throttle positions EXCEPT WOT, where it starts at 12.6:1 and drops as low as 11.5ish at 6K.. I don't have enough road to hit 6K in 5th gear, so I don't really think I will ever see it....

Over all I have MUCH better throttle response and fuel mileage than I had before I started this entire exercise.. So I'm doubly happy that I have improved performance AND better gas mileage... old chips (SuperChips) were WAY rich all the time, even at idle... now mixtures are much more tollerable, and driving is much more enjoyable...

If anyone has recommendations for either longevity of the motor, or performance please by all means jump in... but over all unless my plugs are showing proof of knock or I have major issues I think I am going to run it for a while like it is...
Old 07-27-2009, 01:07 AM
blown 944
Race Car

to me 11.5 is too rich on pump gas. However, IMO you will need to back the timing off. It should make more power leaner and less timing.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, at only 14psi you would probably benefit from a leaner mixture..
At that boost, I would be shooting for upper 11's, maybe 12 flat.

-Rogue
Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I'll be rtuning it tomorrow morning, pulling back some timing an leaning the WOT map a little bit... follom the progress here instead of this hijack..sorry for the intrusion... back to thread... Knck counting and such...

BTW I have 2 more curtis counters en route... I'll be working out backlighting them and adding reset to them... Curtis Instruments doesn't offer the counters we are getting with backlighitng or reset (have to goto a 7mm display for backlighting, and a round 7mm display for backlighitng and reset..)

I'll post progress on that effort in this thread....I'm going to try backlighting when powered AND backlighting with dash lights and If I get the reset it will be a temporary push button
Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Default A few questions for anyone who cares to answer...

So, if one were to add backlight, reset and an LED indicator of knock (approx 1/2 second flash for each knock counted) to the curtis counter...

1st Would there be a need to have teh LED flash dim when the lights are turned on?
2nd Would there be a desire for a remote indicator (or other 5V+/- output) from the counter?
3rd would there be a desire for variable backlight intensity? (on the face of the counter, or on the side...side mount would require removal of the counter to adjust, but keep the face less cluttered...)

I will have pictures of the end product by the end of the week with reset button, backlight and LED indicator of counted event... with remote indicator...
Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 AM
blown 944
Race Car

I like the LED idea and I don't think the lighting needs to be fancy at all. Just a low backlight would be great. To be able to be able to reset would be doubly great.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds like a good idea.

Quick Reply: Knock counting, What's good