Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Millege intake, anyone have experience with it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think we should also try to see things from his prespective. He probably gets so many phone calls from dreamers all day that sometimes he feels like he is wasting his time. This is not to say the next person on the phone couldn't be a serious buyer. I am not trying to defend him but I know when I am in the middle of working on an engine or a car, I HATE to be bothered. You try to get in my way and I am ready to take your head off. A lot of the work he performs requires very high levels of concentration and I am sure he gets 10% of actual customers from all the phone calls.
Once again, don't get me wrong. I am not trying to defend him blowing you off but he has been cordial to me every time.
He is top notch and there are no doubts. His engines last races and win races. He is not cheap but I don't think anyone would classify Rolex as being cheap . I am a big fan of his work and try to get everything I can afford from him. Hopefully, your next experience will be better. I wouldn't just write him off yet.
Regards.
Raj
Old 10-05-2006, 12:24 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hayward Performance

Several times I've heard of folks interested in these TB setups. I have worked with some of Lance Hayward's pieces on previous race cars. I can tell you his setups using Jenvey Taper Bore TBs are like Jewel work. At present he makes setups for 944s and various Porsches, but I don't think for the 951. If theres enough interest he would definetly do so. Check out his site at www.haywardperformance.com and if interested contact him.

Cheers
Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Raj, you're bang on. I've been racing for the better part of 20 years and dealt with many of the top chassis and engine builders. Spending an hour in their shops and listening to the number of callers who really want nothing more than free advice would drive the average person over the top. I think 10% is generous. Most of these builders and designers come across as being arrogant as they seemingly blow people off. But the fact of the matter is they have very few customers who actually "pay" to have work done, let alone pay for the advice. While I consider myself to be friendly and approachable, I'm sure my attitude would change if I were dealing with that on a daily basis.

Having said that, there are builders out there who have more patience than others. Chris White comes to mind as he has always taken the time to offer advice and knowledge whenever I've bugged him.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:49 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RaJ:

See below

Rolex

I think we should also try to see things from his prespective. He probably gets so many phone calls from dreamers all day that sometimes he feels like he is wasting his time.

(I am in sales and marketing, part of being in the busines is having to deal with the info seekers, tire kickers, etc. That is called being in sales, so sorry Raj, BS to that my friend thats part of the game. If Lindsey or SFR didn't pick the phone up, return calls, or ignored emails, their sales would drop off significantly. JME was the first person I did call back in 2003. After that phone, which blew me away, I called Mike at Lindsey who was very receptive and professional too. He said he was busy, but made 1 hr to collect information from me, within 2 days I had a detailed quote. That is service. And as you know, I did spend a lot of money with them, and well spent too. Forget about pricing for a second, it was Mike Lindsey's ability to stop, take a call, state he really didnt have time but made it anyway, and remained professional the entire time.)

This is not to say the next person on the phone couldn't be a serious buyer.

(Exactly pal, me! He lost my business that phone call and forever. He has no idea how deep my pockets are, how well I am connected in the racing community too. Hence, I would never use him, nor refer him to any one ever. And as you know, it is a small community too. Don't forget also, I am an ex racer, what if I wanted to get back into the game. Would I go to him? Never. Could I easily call a Scott Gomes, who is nice, professional, and in my opinion does better work? Yes. From there, I could easily spread the word to everyone I know I'm back, and working with one of the best. What happens then if I have very high net worth friends who want to get into racing too? Who would I refer them to JME? See my point?)

A lot of the work he performs requires very high levels of concentration and I am sure he gets 10% of actual customers from all the phone calls.

(Again, I clearly addressed this. It is part of sales. If he doesnt want to pick up the phone, be professional to people, that's his approach. When I approached Scott Gomes a while ago, you know what he said to me. He said, "I dont look at talking to someone as a waste of time. Why? Because even if I just sell them a set of injectors today, if they are happy with them and my service, who knows, they may refer me or call me in a year to build them an engine." So if he can remain professional (very down to earth and great guy), and takes this approach, and he is too for the most part a one man shop, why cant Mr Flannel do it too? So don't tell me it can't be done, it is my friend)

Once again, don't get me wrong. I am not trying to defend him blowing you off but he has been cordial to me every time.

(I respect what you are saying, I can only speak from my one experience. And you know what Raj, it just takes that one phone call to blow a big deal, and he did. As everyone on Rennlist knows, I built an "entire" project car with Lindsey.)

He is top notch and there are no doubts. His engines last races and win races.

(Yes he is a top notch engine builder, more so in the 80s then now. Yes his engines last races. But Raj, I clearly articulated to him, and several times in this entire thread too, that I was looking for a "3.0L street car". He knew the application within 10 seconds of talking. Two, sorry, for "street" applications I don't think he is the best out there for 99.9% of the users, from the cost/benefit ratio. He wanted $45K to $60K for a 3.0L - "just" the engine? You have got to be kidding me. Sorry, I'll fight that one to the end.)

He is not cheap but I don't think anyone would classify Rolex as being cheap .

(Raj, you and I are friends. You know a lot about my old car and all the time, let alone the money that I spent into it. So does everyone on Rennlist.)

I am a big fan of his work and try to get everything I can afford from him.

(I respect your views. And if other people have had nice experiences and like his products, then I wish them well. But let me restate this again. For what he charges for some of his parts and work, the "average" user or Rennlister cannot justify the cost to benefit ratio, not when you have Lindsey Racing, SFR, and the Chris Whites out there.)

Hopefully, your next experience will be better. I wouldn't just write him off yet.

(Me? I would never deal with that pompous jerk ever again! You don't know how he treated me. If I was to ever race ever again, Id find other people before I use him or ever refer him. Thats called being in sales, something he doesnt know about. If you brush a prospective customer the wrong way, they will go to competitors. That is a given. Maybe JME should take some 101 courses in people skills, communincation skills, professional and eddicate. I would be glad to send him information from some of the top people in sales and social skills; such as Brian Tracy, Zig Ziglar, and the infamous Dale Carnegie. Now theres a book JME should read, it's called, "How To Win Friends And Influence People")

As I said Raj, we are friends, I respect you, and I am very happy you're experiences have been good, let alone you like his products. But those are my views and I am sticking to them.

Last edited by RolexNJ; 10-05-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:03 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Get over the fact that JM did not want to deal with you and no matter how much you insult the man it will not change a thing aka you could not "buy" his services which must have been a terrible blow to your ego.

It is a free world in the US and the man can conduct himself anyway he pleases as far as his business is concerned.

JM has/will certainly not loose any sleep because you have a deragatory opinion of him.

So, instead of being bitter, move on.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:07 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pole position
Get over the fact that JM did not want to deal with you and no matter how much you insult the man it will not change a thing aka you could not "buy" his services which must have been a terrible blow to your ego.

It is a free world in the US and the man can conduct himself anyway he pleases as far as his business is concerned.

JM has/will certainly not loose any sleep because you have a deragatory opinion of him.

So, instead of being bitter, move on.
If I could ban your butt I would trailer trash. And you miss the point of the thread. How are your reading comprehension skills too? Or, are you just starting on ebonics out there in the sticks. Idiot.

PS. Report Sent. And guess what TT (Trailer Trash) I have some clout around here too Mr non-member
Old 10-05-2006, 02:18 PM
eospeed
Racer

Get over it who cares anymore you dont like him an he dosent like you we all get it.Everyone has there reasons for doing whatever it is they do an Im sure you have a good one for acting the way you are on this thread.What happened to the guy who would say please dont bash vendors in this forum I think you said that.This has nothing to do with the intake an you have nothing to offer about it just go away.You can always start your own thread on how much you hate JME.This is not the place go sell some paint.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys guys. Please lets be more civilized.

We should be friends and get along! Im sure JM is a great engine builder, and im sure Rolex is a great person too. To each his own, lets not fight about it.

Now lets just get this thread back on topic.

EDIT- Actually, lets just let this thread die, as nobody seems to have expierence with his intake and it just turned into a big shootout.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:33 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by eospeed
Get over it who cares anymore you dont like him an he dosent like you we all get it.Everyone has there reasons for doing whatever it is they do an Im sure you have a good one for acting the way you are on this thread.What happened to the guy who would say please dont bash vendors in this forum I think you said that.This has nothing to do with the intake an you have nothing to offer about it just go away.You can always start your own thread on how much you hate JME.This is not the place go sell some paint.
Thank you for that insightful post, it is appreciated. Have a fabulous day too. Go sell some paint? Ok.....

EDIT: Rock valid point, thanks pal.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:37 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The difference between JM and Vitesse and Lindsey and SFR and Chris White (no offense to any of these guys, I know a few of them personally and like all of them) is that JM doesn't need to "sell" anything, nor does he try to sell anything. I think this is pretty evident from his ancient website.

So your comment about his "sales" ability is warrantless, if he was trying to sell something, your point would be valid, but he isn't. His work sells itself. And if you don't want it, he doesn't want your business. Easy as that.

His results speak for themselves.

Compile a list of the 944's that have won GT classes over all over the past 10 years or so and see who comes out on top with the most wins/podiums/track records/fastest laps/etc.

You're going to see the Vision Motorsports cars out west. And you're going to see JM engined cars. And there will be a couple of cars with engines built by others.

Simple fact is that JM engined cars win races. Thats his sale pitch. If you need more than that, he doesn't need or seemingly want you as a customer. You can complain all you want about that but it won't change a thing.

And until another engine builder comes along and starts putting engines in races that perform and win like JM engines do, he'll continue to be the expert among those that simply want to win, regardless of cost.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:45 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pole position
This thread proofs a 100 % why JM does not deal with posers, race car drivers with classified track records and stone broke Rocky forum tough guys.
Hey Troll Position-- You don't know what you are talking about. . . I called JM wanting to buy a camshaft. I left him 5 messages over 10 business days. No reply. In fact, my last message was "HAVE MONEY--WANT TO BUY CAMSHAFT--(then my name and phone number). I didn't want to waste his time with questions or ask for a better deal or anything. I just wanted to make a purchase. I ended finding the same JM camshaft from a Rennlister and I paid just as much for the used item from him as I would have for the new one from JM.

I have dealt with LR, VR, SFR, Paragon, Pelican, MySwiss, and several others I am forgetting. . . never had an experience like that. I'm not saying that JM is a bad guy-- I loved his camshaft. . . I also understand that people are busy especially during race season-- but the fact that he didn't return any of my calls is enough for me to say I won't try to chase him down for anything in the future.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:09 PM
JLockton
Intermediate

EOSPOEED , I have two of JM's intakes on our motors (they are great ) a little over priced yes .do we use Jon for Woodies Engines still NO . WHO DO WE USE
Carlquist Competition (Billy)
98 falls ave
Oakville, CT 06779
United States of America
Bus: (860) 274-0742
anyone looking to do a motor on the east coast should give him a call ,
he is a true engine builder ,inhouse machine shop and Dyno .
Old 10-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

All I have to say is if it truly takes $40-60k to build a competitive, race-winning 944 Turbo motor, then these Porsche i4's must be complete and utter pieces of trash. Seriously. There is no reason it should be that expensive short of charging $20-30k+ for labor. Jesus, where is the common sense. Enough OT, someone close the thread.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

$45k for a 944 Turbo Race motor that puts out more HP than a 996 GT3 cup motor. Hmm... proce seems fair to me. Hey anyone can fab up a custom intake manifold. That is quite easy. The tough part is making one that works and not just that works very very well. For a racer wanting to win 95% as good as the next guy is NOT going to cut it and why even both.

It is just like an old saying.

A machine in factory goes down and stops production. The local maintinence guys can't figure out the probelm and they call in a consulant to come in and find the problem. He comes in and looks at the machine for a while and then after a puts chalk "X" and says to the facotry maintence team. Hit the machine here. They do and the machine works again. Later he sends in his bill for $20,000 for the repair. Clearly the factory managers are upset at the high cost so ask for him to itemize the bill. He does so and here is was it came out.

Stick of Chalk................................................$1.00
Knowledge of where to put the mark.......$19,999.00
Total....................................................$20,000.00

Hey anyone can build a motor, but how many can build 450 to 500 hp Porsche motors that are proven winners? Remember also that even as little as 5 years ago a top notch GT 944 Turbo could be simply the FASTEST car at any PCA club race. Before the advent of easily accessable 996 Cup cars the only way to be faster than a properly build 944 Turbo was to get 935, 993 3.8 RSR or 993 GT2. All which were hard to get at any price. So what this mean was there was ALOT of money going into GT 944 turbos and $45k for 450-500 hp race quality motor was a good deal and there were only 2-3 places in country you could for that kind of engine.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:44 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Joe: So back to your thread, did you learn anything of value to you about his intake? But I think it would be a good idea to close the thread and send it to the abyss. Just my $.02 cents pal.

Quick Reply: Millege intake, anyone have experience with it?