Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

my 968 conversion project. **new updated pics**

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:45 PM
JPBNY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John Would you please take some pictures from both sides and the top and bottom and from the rear without the 968 bumper cover in place? Are you using the 968 alum bumper under the cover and if so what impact absorbers are you using 968 or 944?How are you dealing with the part just below the 944 tail lights that runs side to side did you cut it out?What did you do to fill the openings in the left and right storage holes when you cut away the outer fender up to the wheel wells.Will the back of the car be sealed without the bumper cover? If this is too much info and pictures to post please PM me. Thanks John
Old 12-08-2005, 11:09 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPBNY
John Would you please take some pictures from both sides and the top and bottom and from the rear without the 968 bumper cover in place? Are you using the 968 alum bumper under the cover and if so what impact absorbers are you using 968 or 944?How are you dealing with the part just below the 944 tail lights that runs side to side did you cut it out?What did you do to fill the openings in the left and right storage holes when you cut away the outer fender up to the wheel wells.Will the back of the car be sealed without the bumper cover? If this is too much info and pictures to post please PM me. Thanks John
Q John Would you please take some pictures from both sides and the top and bottom and from the rear without the 968 bumper cover in place?

Yes sure I will have more pics tomorrow

Q Are you using the 968 alum bumper under the cover

No im not

Q if so what impact absorbers are you using 968 or 944?

im using a real 968 bumper with re-bar and he is making some support brackets on the inside of the hatch to help support the car.

Q How are you dealing with the part just below the 944 tail lights that runs side to side did you cut it out?

Yes it has been cut out.

Q What did you do to fill the openings in the left and right storage holes when you cut away the outer fender up to the wheel wells

Dont know yet since I havent been back up there. He was going to build something to fill those in and weld that to the seam on the side but, I havent seen it yet..I will investigate more tomorrow

Q Will the back of the car be sealed without the bumper cover?

What do you mean by sealed? He will be manufactoring a seam that is welded to the 944 bumper(infact you can see it in the pics on the last page) that will weld to the 968 bumper. It will be completely sealed off and flush. As far as inside the compartment like I said he will be making brackets and welding them to that seam and to the hinge I believe he is making to connect everything and re inforce the structure. However I wont know more about that till tomorrow when I get a chance to see the car up close and personal again and speak to him about the project.

Q If this is too much info and pictures to post please PM me. Thanks John

No not at all. This is what I made this thread for. I will answer any and all questions to the best of my ability. This thread will hopefully be a tool for future enthusaists who wish to perform the same conversion on their 944 or 951.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:58 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

New update boys. As you can see he has done alot of cutting and already fabbed one of the brackets on the right fender wheel to help support the bumper. The rebar is installed and welded to the seam and the brackets will be welded to that and a metal strip thats in the rear hatch. He has done some extensive cutting on the rear quater panels and he showed me today how he will be USING THE FACTORY 968 RUBBER SEAL! I was shocked at how the original its going to look. With the rubber seal on ther wrapped around the molds and welds he did to the metal meeting between the two bumpers its going to look FANTASTIC!

Oh yeah my exhaust came in and they left it there to be opened by me. I got to unpackage everything like a kid in a candy store. I swear the exhaust system is a working of ****ing art! Its a shame it has to be hidden away!

HUGE PROPS go out to dave lindsey for the custom SS and polished exhaust system it is really going to look mean with that 4inch tip coming out of the rear of the car.

and now the pics.

p.s. he says he thinks it will be ready for paint next friday
Attached Images                
Old 12-09-2005, 06:16 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

very nice looking pipes there
Old 12-09-2005, 08:07 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

That thing will be f**king beautiful.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:40 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

BTW, I hate you. No that may not be strong enough. I loath you. I'm green with envy over the potential beauty of that thing.

Put HRE's, a Bridge Spoiler and a custom shaped splitter (not GT or AIR) on that car and it'll be so spectacular that I may have to stalk you.

Paint color?

Good luck with the project.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:54 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guys

Heres the new 12-14month plan. after my turbo upgrade

968 side skirts,968 mirrors,vented nose panel, air splitter(or some other type) 968 RS wing painted to match.

Fiske FM10's,HRE 540's, or possibly a few other wheel choices im currently entertaining. I think the car will really stand out and be one of a kind once all of this is done.

I have been doing some research and I believe there only to be a handful of 951's in the country that have undergone this conversion and 2 of those 5 were track cars that werent done very well. 2 of the remaining 3 were done with the fiberglass bumper that really isint supportive and has a real tendency to flex alot.

That leaves 1 other real 968 951 bumper conversion on a street car in the states driving around(in europe there are many more)

So looks like I wil have a real rare car on my hands when everything is done. I cant tell you just how excited I am and just how ****ing good it looks in person unpainted and unfinished. The car will simply be beautiful when its painted and completed. I plan on ordering the side skirts and mirrors very soon.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:01 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

it feels good to be unique.i too someday wish to have a very unique car,by unique i mean,not looking like other 951s.yours will surely be that!!!keep up the great work and please keep us updated!!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:02 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Are you speaking of the white S2 cab that underwent the street car quality conversion? If so I badly wanted to buy that car, but he wasnt interested in selling at the time...so I bought the M3...
Old 12-10-2005, 01:04 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Are you speaking of the white S2 cab that underwent the street car quality conversion? If so I badly wanted to buy that car, but he wasnt interested in selling at the time...so I bought the M3...
yes but, he was a 944s2. I only know of one other street 951 that has done this with the real 968 bumper.

he was one of the very very few 944's n/a's that has undergone this conversion. btw that car was one of the cleanest around.

I also wanted too add I will be doing 968 door handles as well
Old 12-10-2005, 01:16 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Geez John, incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 04:10 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

wow. Looks freaking incredible, John. I've been off the forum for a month or so and haven't caught up. Wreck? Sorry to hear, but man, you know how to make the best of it! Always wanted to do something like this, but never had the dime. We need to catch up!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:49 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

I would be interested in how that Magnaflow sounds compared to some of the other exhausts around. I have a 2-in 1-out on my Z71 that has a nice deep, mellow and non-droning tone.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:15 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

The pictures of your 951/968 hybrid are interesting but seeing the other 968 mods you have planned, did you ever consider just swapping your 951 engine and other modifications into a 968?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:30 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Quick Reply: my 968 conversion project. **new updated pics**