Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

my 968 conversion project. **new updated pics**

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:57 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That guy had cup mirrors and all! I have to agree with John... Great for track, but not street. Look at the angle on that exhaust
Old 12-05-2005, 11:27 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
That guy had cup mirrors and all! I have to agree with John... Great for track, but not street. Look at the angle on that exhaust
The side exit exhaust is actually a must on a 951 with a 968 bumper. The 951 exhuast came just come striaght back easily because there isint anything in its way. It just go's under the valance with ease. When you have the 968 bumper that comes down lower and actually has a hole cut for the exhaust the 951 exhaust wont work anymore.

Thats the hole reason I am having a custom exhaust built....its because I have too. My exhaust will have the very same angle'd exit on it as well.

I think it looks kind of cool as long as its cut flush with the bumper which is what I intend to do. That black car on the other page while I agree is cool looking it really is a track car and so certain final touches just obviously were ignored(as they should be on any track car...cause who cares)

Like his exhaust is actually sticking out past the bumper. I personally dont like that and will cut my flush...but, I have a feeling im going to love the way it looks coming out at a agle like that. Reminds me of the hyper exhaust systems on 3rd gen's and supras.

4 more days till update.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:31 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

haha on second thought with the flames I shoot out it may be a good idea to have the exhaust pull past the bumper some so it doesnt melt.

hmmm
Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

leaving the tip cut flush with the bumper will ensure that the rear end of the car is always dirty
Old 12-05-2005, 12:58 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
leaving the tip cut flush with the bumper will ensure that the rear end of the car is always dirty
yeah I was thinking that too. Ofcourse I clean my car alot anyways. lol.

I will see how many inches past the exhaust is and I will make that call at that time.

the exhaust should be in no later than tomorrow. I will call dave today and make sure it went out on time
Old 12-05-2005, 01:18 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this stainless Steel exhaust for sale at ebay. It will fit your car perfectly.

968 Turbo SS axhaust
Old 12-05-2005, 01:51 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

hmm how much for the tip. Unfortunately I have already paid 1300+ for my current system being shipped to me. I might however be intrested in the rouded tip if you would be willing to part with it. Its really no matter thats something I could pick up anywhere.

Remember a full 968 exhaust wont work on my car. Its a 951. I have a wastegate and different manifold ect. the only part of my exhaust that will be 968 is the custom mandrel bends dave is putting in it to fit the 968 rear.

it will essentially be a 951 SS 3-3.5-4inch polished exhaust
Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

couldn't you have a straight exit exhaust tip with the 968 rear by mounting the muffler further upstream and just having the pipe exit straight out?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:22 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
couldn't you have a straight exit exhaust tip with the 968 rear by mounting the muffler further upstream and just having the pipe exit straight out?
no the muffler doesnt matter its the last 12inches and the tip that matter. Even if you moved up further away from the bumper you will still need to put a bend after the muffler to come out the exit hole cut from the 968 rear.

so basically you have to have that custom bend in it...no two ways about it. Only difference is where you put it.

and dave recomended doing it this way.since he has done several of these systems already
Old 12-05-2005, 11:00 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John:
My car is a 968 turbo. My exhaust is the same as in a 951. Only the tip is offset to match the 968 rear bumper openning.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:17 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TurboCab
John:
My car is a 968 turbo. My exhaust is the same as in a 951. Only the tip is offset to match the 968 rear bumper openning.
Yes thats pretty much what im saying. You have to have a bend in there somewhere regardless of where you put it. Even if you move up the muffler your still going to have to put a bend in the exhaust somewhere.

I believe dave is putting mine after the muffler but, I cant say for sure since I havent seen the car yet.

I took the opportunity to get rid of the mild steel 3inch system I currently have and get a 3-4inch SS system that has been polished. I want some bling under there dammit

btw expect new pics friday
Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

So what if you move the muffler back(actually closer to the front) and angle your exhaust towards the ground well before the the 968 cover.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:52 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
So what if you move the muffler back(actually closer to the front) and angle your exhaust towards the ground well before the the 968 cover.
You could do that but, then I dont think it would look right. I would have the gap cut for the exhaust(factory in the bumper) but, there woudnt be anything there.

and not only that its already been brought up that having the tip flush or even behind the bumper will cause everything to get dirty. My car does shoot flames and does shoot the black stuff out on startup.

So I dont want to melt of dirty up my bumper that bad. I mean a little is okay but, I dont want it to be a daily thing
Old 12-06-2005, 11:04 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

If you angle it down you should not have any of those problems, and if they are doing glass work already etc, might as well have them flush out the exhaust hole in the back bumper cover....

Now I don't know what kind of decrease(or increase in back-pressure) that 968 bend would have as opposed to straight out.

More work than it is worth I am sure.

Sorry no undershot with muffler...

Old 12-06-2005, 11:22 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah intresting thought.

The exhaust comes in tomorrow I will be up at the shop friday taking pics and I will think about it more then.

Quick Reply: my 968 conversion project. **new updated pics**