Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rennlist Top 10 HP/TQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:36 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

May I ask the question? Is everyone using the dyno's in 'Shootout' mode? How do we determine at what load the dyno is set? Is this really just get the biggest number out of whatever dyno you can and post it? Not being divisive here, just wondering how the info is being gathered as I hope to post something in the nearish future. Not growing up with a dyno on every 2nd street corner, I am not really familiar with their idiosyncrasies and understand that you can make them read virtually anything you want? Hence we see cars that e.g. have some chips and a 3" exhaust producing 315whp and the like. Don't understand how we get a level playing field? Any rough guesses what my car should get with the mod's listed? I'm thinking that I should make the list however I'm guessing that I will need to use 'Shootout' mode to have a chance.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:23 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Don't understand how we get a level playing field?"

lol. This same question has been asked, debated and mostly controversially answered a bunch of times since the thread inception. The bottom line is that we just have to make an educated guess, based on mods, numbers, dyno variations, temps etc. Without each and every car being inspected and tested in the same place on the smae day by the same dyno and dyno operator, we'll never "really" be able to put down concrete numbers of come to absolute conclusions vis a vis mods/performance.
As I recall, larger bore cars were separated from 2.5 ltr cars, but Andrew (NZ951) is really the guy who keeps track of all of this stuff.
Considering that he no longer has a 951, I think he'll be a pretty good arbitor of results.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:26 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you mean by shootout mode?

Yes you can can the diff ratio or take off the airtemp correction sensor and manually enter 150 degrees correction or change ramp up speeds to make the turbo spool faster etc... but at the end of the day, you have to be honourable in what you are posting. Heck my flatmate has a dyno, I could go get my old file and change some correction factors and publish a chart that beats all.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:28 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Thanks E, good points. At the end of the day you are right, off the mods the community has a pretty good idea of what power should be expected, "we" are Porsche owners, we are not at the local Honda club BS'ing about how our cold air intake and filter made an extra 100WHP on a 1.6 NA motor.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes they are fair points Ehall, and I will just have to get mine done and post. With my mods I should have something north of 400hp but I'm betting the dyno I used previously that gives notoriously low figures will disappoint. We shall see.
'Shootout' mode is a term used by the dyno queens here that is a setting to show the highest figure possible. It's just a pissing contest really and not based on reality. The local guy that I used races his cars and probably want's to show as low a figure as possible so as not to get any weight penalties or something like that.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 AM
Markus951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been on the dyno at once! My car is mapped on public roads, I just went to the dyno to see how come I managed 265 kmh in 1km run and 12.0 in 1/4 mile! High power does not allways mean that your car is fast . We all know that all dynos give different numbers, different temperature differnet gas + 1 million things! I think its just good overview what result people have got out from their cars on different conditions!

Markus
Old 08-23-2007, 01:04 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

For sure and I totally agree that this is really just for a bit of fun. I'm not being critical at all here, I just want to understand a bit more about it. I have been to the dyno recently without all the mods listed yet still got a very disappointing hp figure compared to some that I see on this site with considerably less mod list. It's not a matter of getting into the pissing contest as such, but you also want to feel like you are getting your money's worth with all the mods that you do whatever they may be. I was expecting to nudge 400hp even with the standard head/cam/intercooler and I got a lot less yet the car holds boost well and pulls like a jet fighter on takeoff so something doesn't add up. We will dyno the car with the new big i/c and see if this makes up a lot of difference.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
For sure and I totally agree that this is really just for a bit of fun. I'm not being critical at all here, I just want to understand a bit more about it. I have been to the dyno recently without all the mods listed yet still got a very disappointing hp figure compared to some that I see on this site with considerably less mod list. It's not a matter of getting into the pissing contest as such, but you also want to feel like you are getting your money's worth with all the mods that you do whatever they may be. I was expecting to nudge 400hp even with the standard head/cam/intercooler and I got a lot less yet the car holds boost well and pulls like a jet fighter on takeoff so something doesn't add up. We will dyno the car with the new big i/c and see if this makes up a lot of difference.
What boost level did you run?

And I have to agree to some level, maybe the actual dyno numbers on this forum aren't off but the average perception of gains from mods are exaggerated when reading the forum...
Slapping on a big turbo doesn't gain any noticeable power by itself. Some goes for the infamous 3 liter engines... A simple 3l turbo with stock head and cam at low boost does not produce any big numbers.

As long as you don't do extensive mods to improve VE such as head work, camshaft, intake manifold and exhaust manifold you need to run big boost to get big numbers regardless of mods.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
May I ask the question? Is everyone using the dyno's in 'Shootout' mode? How do we determine at what load the dyno is set? Is this really just get the biggest number out of whatever dyno you can and post it? Not being divisive here, just wondering how the info is being gathered as I hope to post something in the nearish future. Not growing up with a dyno on every 2nd street corner, I am not really familiar with their idiosyncrasies and understand that you can make them read virtually anything you want? Hence we see cars that e.g. have some chips and a 3" exhaust producing 315whp and the like. Don't understand how we get a level playing field? Any rough guesses what my car should get with the mod's listed? I'm thinking that I should make the list however I'm guessing that I will need to use 'Shootout' mode to have a chance.
This thread was a response to those concerns, but I am afraid that there just is no simple answer for getting real comparative numbers. Heck it has taken a full century to find and implement a method to compare HP between auto manufacturers in a form of an SAE certified measurement.

Laust
Old 08-31-2007, 07:13 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Guys what do you think about adding another section for the top HP of our other toy/s? Many dont just own the Porsche here, so could make for some interesting discussion...
Old 09-01-2007, 12:23 AM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by NZ951
Guys what do you think about adding another section for the top HP of our other toy/s? Many dont just own the Porsche here, so could make for some interesting discussion...
Ok Andrew.....I will get the ball rolling

My other toy is a 75 vw beetle producing an earth shattering 50 bhp ( maybe a bit more due to the weber twin choke carb i fitted

At least I made it to the top of the list for now
Old 09-01-2007, 04:20 AM
NZ951
Race Director

haha nice, I wont ask for a dyno sheet for now unless someone complains :P
Old 09-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by NZ951
haha nice, I wont ask for a dyno sheet for now unless someone complains :P
This is Rennlist, that will never happen
Old 09-27-2007, 03:59 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

well after looking back over this it seems that a kennady stage one pressure plate rated at 530flb is ample for me and my 24psi 3.0 as like everyone never seems to exeed 470flb
Old 09-27-2007, 05:54 PM
George D
Drifting

Default George D Dyno on a 2.5

Maybe add me to this list?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rennlist Top 10 HP/TQ