Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pics anyone? front lips & rear wings

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:09 AM
faithless
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
The Le Mans wing IMHO makes worse one of the few things seriously dated on the 944, the rear wing. Cant wait for my 968 version!
Your opinions DO seem to be quite Humble. Cheers
Old 01-12-2005, 12:38 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.atlanticmotionracing.com is another option on the upper end of the scale.

I've seen the car on the website, very nice stuff.

I have the AIR splitter and like it, other than it being a pain to mount.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:53 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

oic it's a bigger rubber wing...woohoo. i agree with nz, that r wuck. i'm all for the eighties 'big rubber wing' look, but that's going a bit far.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:03 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where does this misconception stem from where people think the GT racing splitter is more functional than the AIR splitter?

Functionality and effectiveness of a splitter on a car is determined by how much air is prevented from going under the car, and how well the splitter can decrease the air pressure under the car.

For stock ride height cars, the GT racing splitter is too high to make any real difference, and for a lowered race car, the AIR splitter will probably be a bit too low and scrape the track too often.

Most cars I've seen on here with the GT splitter have stock ride height cars. Which means their splitter is every bit as bling as the AIR splitter on my car.

Also, the bigger LeMans spoiler: I'm pretty sure the stock rubber 944 spoiler cancels out most if not all lift created by the car. I can't see there being any more lift to cancel out to justify having such a much larger spoiler.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:10 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good calls Rich, has anyone got air pressure information to prove the GT is better than the AIR? Maybe Tifo has??? Conceptually it seems to be the reverse in some cases as RS suggests.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:16 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I doubt that anyone has taken to mounting barometers beneath a 951 to measure splitter efficiency.

Although it would be a fun project for my 87 since it has adjustable ride height struts. I could measure the air pressure beneath the car with stock, AIR and GT racing splitters at different ride heights. Although this would cost me time and money... anyone feel like making a donation?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:21 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the process of getting the bits to test pressure to make a positive air pressure intake So when I get the AIR splitter (just ordered), I will do some testing Wont be for a few weeks though. Better to come with data than I think its better... I like your thinking.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:45 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Good calls Rich, has anyone got air pressure information to prove the GT is better than the AIR? Maybe Tifo has??? Conceptually it seems to be the reverse in some cases as RS suggests.
My commentary is based upon user-friendliness, not downforce data, of which I have none. Ala Rich's comments above, on a car that is low enough to utilize the downforce that a splitter may give, the AIR will rub like there is no tomorrow. That is why I stated that the GT Racing unit is better, especially on a street car that sees something other than a perfectly smooth, flat race course.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:03 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Andrew, what kind of instruments are you using to measure the pressure, and what kind of gauges will you use? How much do they cost?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:21 AM
faithless
Pro

@ Rich:
It was my understanding that there is a pocket of high pressure over the surface of the spliter. If this is true, then why wouldnt the SA of the splitter have something to do with the downward pressure it exerts on the splitter? (It seems obvious that the SA of the GT splitter is quite a lot larger than the AIR splitter)
Old 01-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Faithless:

The splitter itself provides ZERO downforce because it is mounted to the polyurethane bumper, which lets the splitter flex up and down easily. You can grab the lip of the GT or AIR splitter, and easily wiggle it up and down 1cm or more. This means that it cannot transfer ANY downforce to the body of the car.

What the splitter does do effectively, is reduce air getting under the front of the car. In the back of the car, under the rear bumper, there is a greater opening, which causes air to literally get sucked out from under the car. This creates a low pressure area under the car. Usually, the pressure under the car is lower than the pressure above it. Since air always want to move from a high pressure area to a low pressure area, this in effect creates downforce on the car body.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

"Le Mans" spoiler ... Which barbecue regular wouldn't dream of one as a meat and sausage stand ?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a gemballa Front spoiler and an Original 968 Turbo rear wing for sale

sent me an email if you want more infos

Konstantin
Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Kons, PM sent..
Old 01-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot I also have an original 968 wing for sale (it is from a 968 CS) It is only the wing not the whole hach or anything else
300$ is ok?

Konstantin

Quick Reply: Pics anyone? front lips & rear wings