Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

younger 944 owners look here!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by marksportcts
The 944 was introduced in 1982 with a 2.5 L straight-4 engine whose design was based on one half of the Porsche 928's V8 engine. While the design was very similar to the V8, very few parts were interchangeable. The 944 was based on the the earlier 924 model, but featured numerous changes including updated bodywork with flared fenders and a rear spoiler similar to that on the previous 924 Turbo.

Source: Wikipedia

I bought mine when I was 15, now I'm nearly 27
27 OMG you are old.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was 20 when I bought my 86 NA, ex gf at the time thought it was hideous so I told her to put down the candy bar, stop looking in the mirror, and never bad talk the car again. My current girl thinks the car is not only hideous, but inefficient, a waste of money, and it apparently "takes time away" from being with her. Of course, having been in a committed relationship for the better part of two years, it is only now when I come across the women who see what I drive, and insist on two rides -- one in the car, and one... ..To those who have found the company of girls who like the cars, congrats! Where'd you find 'em??
I will say that I enjoyed showing the car off a lot when I first got it, but this soon turned to paranoia when I would worry that drunk college kids would try and mess with my car. Then I realized that I drive an NA, and Civics come stock with more horses than me, and I should get over myself. Now I'm just happy to get the attention of ricers, who would want nothing more than to be able to say "I beat a Porsche! OMGLOLZ" One cut me off Uptown to steal a PARKING SPOT. There was another spot further down so I went there. He had a 98 Civic-- Silver, with blue and green flames down the sides, a body kit that looked held on by gum, and FAKE CF laminate on the hood -- that was peeling off. He comes up to me, asks what year my car is, and if I want to race him. I tell him he should try a track if he wants a real race, and laughs and tells me it's okay that I drive a slow POS. But I don't need flames to look fast, now do I? I think he took off to do his algebra homework after that. SOrry for the longwinded and unnecessary story.

One thing that's neat about being a younger owner of P-Cars is that you find out more about your car than others do, you ultimately spend less (in the luckier cases) than most -- what's a decent shape NA car go for, 5-9 grand?? A used Accord/Lancer/Golf/Civic can cost twice as much as that! People have a hard time understanding that Porsches aren't always associated with a six figure income -- Hell, in High School me and my old man fixed up a 1975 914 -- with a 1.8 Liter motor (it's for sale, you know! has been since I graduated, so that would be... ... a long time.), the very same found in a VW Microbus. And kids were coming up to me telling me how spoiled I was for driving a Porsche! Kids whose parents had bought them WRX's, Audi A4, Jeff Gordon's old custom F-150 (not joking, redneck took up three parking spaces with it, too!) and many other cars, the price of which could have fetched four, five, 20 teeners!

The only disadvantage to owning a Porsche when you are young is the speed limit, and propensity for cops to assume you've stolen your car. THE VERY FIRST night I had my car, I was pulled over. The officer's first question wasn't "Do you know how fast you were going?" or "License and registration?",it was, "Son, is this YOUR car?" My dad was driving behind me, so I said "with all due respect, sir, you're not my father, my father is driving behind me and has pulled over to the side as well, I'd prefer he call me son, not you -- and I bought this car; it's mine, you can even ask my father if you think I'm pulling a fast one on you." He said some "just doing my job" BS and let me go about my business, but the fact of the matter is, I dropped my dad off at a dealership to pick up our Honda, I drive off, cop sees young kid in sharp car, automatically assumes it's stolen. Complete nonsense. But that's how it is when you're young and driving an expensive looking car.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Cops check out my car at stoplights and wish they could trade in their Crown Vic
Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
N/a 944
Racer

Originally Posted by PixelGrinder
18 and have owned it since 15. When im in the high school parking lot people ask me "Hey is that thing fast?" and I respond "No, its a SLOW Porsche". Gets em everytime he he
yeah that is a good joke
Old 06-05-2007, 10:56 PM
El Commandante
Pro

In Iowa/ south dakota, few teenagers or even old people for that matter have seen 944's. I have been asked if it was a Lamborghini, and someone also tried telling me that my car was worth $60,000 and they cant believe how i bought it for $5,000.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by El Commandante
In Iowa/ south dakota, few teenagers or even old people for that matter have seen 944's. I have been asked if it was a Lamborghini, and someone also tried telling me that my car was worth $60,000 and they cant believe how i bought it for $5,000.

I gave someone a ride home from class one night in my 44 and he said to me, "You know, I've never been in a Ferrari before! This is so cool!"

Yeah, tell me about it! Six thousand dollar Ferrari!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Iggypop
Three Wheelin'

Best friend has an 85.5 944, I drive a shark. If you guys think people don't know what car yours is, try driving a 928.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

But yours was in SCARFACE!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:52 AM
944 crazy
Instructor

ours was in Not Another teen Movie...at the end, the kid pulls up to prom in one.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:53 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

It's also in Sixteen Candles.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:03 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by igerstein
Best friend has an 85.5 944, I drive a shark. If you guys think people don't know what car yours is, try driving a 928.
Dude, why do yo have to ruin a perfect thread we are talking about sports cars not suv's.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

If the 928 is Porsche's SUV, what the hell is the Cayenne? BESIDES a VW Tourag shooting roids in the locker room?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this illness that requires me to have something that most people don't. 951/944's are definitely not the most expensive, nor the fastest, but my baby gets stares wherever she goes and that's why I like it. It's different. For all their legendary reliability I could never own a honda (hmmm well perhaps maybe an S2k).

Originally Posted by Tenacious_G
Was 20 when I bought my 86 NA, ex gf at the time thought it was hideous so I told her to put down the candy bar, stop looking in the mirror, and never bad talk the car again. My current girl thinks the car is not only hideous, but inefficient, a waste of money, and it apparently "takes time away" from being with her. Of course, having been in a committed relationship for the better part of two years, it is only now when I come across the women who see what I drive, and insist on two rides -- one in the car, and one... ..To those who have found the company of girls who like the cars, congrats! Where'd you find 'em??

Haha my lady was the reason I bought the car...I had initially gone to check out the car and just drive it to say I had driven it; I was planning on buying one in the future but I didn't have the money ATM. I took a few pics and told my g/f how beautiful the condish was and she said "I'll spot you a few grand -- just buy it. Now." Gotta love her.

...right now I'm in thailand away from both my babies. talk about homesickness.

I waited in college to get one and needless to say it was a wise decision. I had been driving an '05 cavalier that I would give to my sister once she came of-age, and as a result, I was a bit restricted in the number of DE/autoxes I could do ("The car needs to still be in beautiful condition once your sister gets it").
Old 06-06-2007, 12:09 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tenacious_G
If the 928 is Porsche's SUV, what the hell is the Cayenne? BESIDES a VW Tourag shooting roids in the locker room?
the cayene is a tractor, lol
Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lart951
the cayene is a tractor, lol

Ah!! Going back to their roots! Has anyone seen the CGT inspired boat?

Quick Reply: younger 944 owners look here!!