Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N-Tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 AM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm 28 pin DME, how do i know if my car (87' 924S) has one or the 24 pin?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 AM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Should be 24 http://www.roguetuning.com/dme_conversion
Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Would there be any pipe option available for those that wish to dump the stock airbox altogether? It is a large, somewhat heavy box that just cancels the nice intake noise. A pipe running from the manifold straight to the snorkel inlet would be sweet.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 AM
FabilichuS
Racer

+1 on getting rid of the stock airbox and running a straight pipe to the snorkel inlet and a filter that filts on the outside
Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A piece that allows for the stock airbox also allows for a "snorkel" if you want it. You should also start to question the stock manifold/throttle/jboot installation - what might be better than that? I think ITB's are worth it (bike throttles) - but as Josh and I have discussed, they don't always work great with SD tuning because a slight opening of the throttle greatly reduces the vacuum that the MAP sensor sees. In general you see a drop in sensor resolution as any throttle opening beyond that is operating over less difference in vacuum.

The next piece of the puzzle is equally tricky. Generally speaking we want the intake with the most equal runners (of the correct length for peak RPM) and the straightest path for the air. Different lengths of intake runner tune for different RPM because air is elastic - it stretches as the valve opens and pressure drops and rebounds, in a wave, as the valve closes. That wave resonates within the chamber of the intake runner - and when the intake valve opens/closes at the right speed it allows the rebounding charge (standing wave in the inlet runner) into the cylinder just at the right time, meaning the air moving toward and into the cylinder is moving faster, which in turn leads to a greater cylinder filling. This is good, it leads to a natural supercharging effect. But with a fixed length of runner it only happens optimally at a certain RPM. This is why 964 and after NA 911's have the varioram system.

Varioram is a 2 stage system which opens flaps (basically) to change the length of the runner to give a high RPM and low RPM optimised position. However, if we think of a trombone we can think of a way that the intake can be optimised in infinite degrees to provide the precise resonant frequency to induce a charging effect at a certain RPM. It is possible to build an intake like this - Mazda did it for a Le Mans car, but it's tricky and would require it's own electronics to control the length of the intake - for example, as you shift gear the rpms drop and the box of tricks would have to contract the intake to match.

So, what about something more practical? Well, the stock NA intake is pretty weird - with the jboot bend and strangely twisted runners - maybe they had a plan, but I think that an equal length four-runner plenum with the inlet central to the plenum could be better, now that we're doing away with the AFM and airbox... The length of the runner could be better tuned to the RPM you wish to boost - and the anecdotal evidence suggests that stock 944 valvetrains can handle up to 7000 rpm before float becomes an issue.

Just a thought - but basically want to point out one thing, the SD tune (and DME stuff in general) that Rogue is putting together gives us a new canvas for these cars - particularly the NA 8v and 16v cars.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Will this sense boost at all? Meaning does it allow for a S/C maybe to be used?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool. I'm diggin it! glad to see it's making progress!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Will this sense boost at all? Meaning does it allow for a S/C maybe to be used?
The STD kit will be using a 1bar sensor so you can't really use that for any boosted application. However, Josh will be helping me out tuning my 83 sc car using a 2 or 2.5 bar sensor so hopefully some data can be accumulated to help others out.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_monkey
So, what about something more practical? Well, the stock NA intake is pretty weird - with the jboot bend and strangely twisted runners - maybe they had a plan, but I think that an equal length four-runner plenum with the inlet central to the plenum could be better, now that we're doing away with the AFM and airbox... The length of the runner could be better tuned to the RPM you wish to boost - and the anecdotal evidence suggests that stock 944 valvetrains can handle up to 7000 rpm before float becomes an issue
stock intake is a piece of art, imo. j-boot bend is to clear the radiator hose and be a good connection from stock airbox (certain size/shape to cancel induction noise). if you take off the top half of your airbox and go for a drive you will love the sound it makes at higher rpm, having that permanent but routed to the cold air of factory intake location would be sweet.

but for the plenum/equal runners/central inlet, have you looked at the lindsey manifold? very pretty and they say it will pretty much outflow any head you put on there.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:06 AM
MG944
Instructor

So how is development going at this stage?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Josh is pretty busy at the moment preparing for marriage. I'm sure once he gets back at it, it won't take long. We spoke last night and it sounds like we will be out tuning around soon enough.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM
ZW 944
Racer

What would be cool with this is if you could take the turbo intake and TB, then hook up Rogue's pipe, and then route an intake pipe with a cone filter to the front corner of the engine bay so it can suck in all the cold air. With the turbo manifold, if the TPS from the NA will hook up, there would be a straight shot from the TB to the fender removing any restriction caused by the J pipe. It'd probably clean up the engine bay pretty nicely too.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by MG944
So how is development going at this stage?
Originally Posted by blown 944
Josh is pretty busy at the moment preparing for marriage. I'm sure once he gets back at it, it won't take long. We spoke last night and it sounds like we will be out tuning around soon enough.
Sid is correct. I've been quite busy lately... I am trying to get some more tuning done before my wedding. After the wedding I will be putting the car on the dyno for the final tuning and hp/tq numbers. I will do a "before/after" with the stock AFM, then my SD-Tune. I expect to make some very good gains across the board!

Originally Posted by ZW 944
What would be cool with this is if you could take the turbo intake and TB, then hook up Rogue's pipe, and then route an intake pipe with a cone filter to the front corner of the engine bay so it can suck in all the cold air. With the turbo manifold, if the TPS from the NA will hook up, there would be a straight shot from the TB to the fender removing any restriction caused by the J pipe. It'd probably clean up the engine bay pretty nicely too.
As a generality, turbo cars intake manifolds are tuned for more low-end power, as they try to help get the car moving before the turbo comes on. I would expect no gains from swapping in a turbo manifold in place of the NA unit... In-fact, I would not be surprised to see less peak HP.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 AM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Looking forward to the release, and im sure im late on this, but if you need any real world testers, my car is always available
Old 08-01-2011, 09:01 AM
MG944
Instructor

Josh, congrats on the wedding

Quick Reply: N-Tune