Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing in the towel, I need help...or a buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliot9
Exactly, which is what I don't get because the only place there is oil coming from is that lower balance shaft seal area. There's no holes, no nothing. I really just don't understand.
There is a replaceable steel sleeve (or "race") the balance shaft seal actually seals against. Part # 928.105.139.02. If there is a groove worn into it, or is otherwise imperfect through scratch damage, etc., even a new seal will leak. Check that a) the race is there, and if it is, b) check for a wear groove or other damage.

There is also an O-ring behind the balance shaft housing. Part # 999.701.652.40. This is in addition to the main seal and the small "onion skin" polyester seal. If that's not sealing properly, you will get a leak.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either the housing is damaged or you didn't do something correctly.

even though you might be 100% or even 200% sure everything is perfect... obviously that's not the case since you're losing oil at such a massive rate.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'll take it apart for the 6th time, I'm 100% positive I'm using the correct seals in the correct places I know they are different for the top and bottom and I double checked part numbers and the markings on the seals to make sure I had the right ones installed in the right places. I've spent over 100 dollars on seals at this point because I've had to buy them now 6 times....it's just getting rediculous.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 PM
joes
Racer

I would take the covers off, take the alt,power steering belts off, take the fan out, leave the balance belt off. Nothing but the timing belt. Start the car up get a light and stick your head in there and see where the oil is coming from. I can see having a small leak but if it is as big as you say something has to be on wrong or broken.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:20 PM
kenkawai993
Instructor

Pictures would be a big big help. 7 minutes burns a quart ?! WTF. Crazy.

Forgive me for saying this, but Even though you did it five times, there's that chance that you did it wrong five times.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:40 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if the Bay Area of CA is close to you or not.
i am in iowa

I guess I'll take it apart for the 6th time, I'm 100% positive I'm using the correct seals in the correct places I know they are different for the top and bottom and I double checked part numbers and the markings on the seals to make sure I had the right ones installed in the right places. I've spent over 100 dollars on seals at this point because I've had to buy them now 6 times....it's just getting rediculous.
i think i have some extra (new) seals laying around. get me an address and i will send what i have (if i find them) 100% free of charge.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:40 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 503 Posts

is the front main seal on correctly and tight?? it takes a StrekStrekStrekStrekton of torque on that bolt
Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by joes
I would take the covers off, take the alt,power steering belts off, take the fan out, leave the balance belt off. Nothing but the timing belt. Start the car up get a light and stick your head in there and see where the oil is coming from. I can see having a small leak but if it is as big as you say something has to be on wrong or broken.
Ok I'll try that but knowing my luck it will stop leaking as soon as I do that...

Originally Posted by kenkawai993
Pictures would be a big big help. 7 minutes burns a quart ?! WTF. Crazy.

Forgive me for saying this, but Even though you did it five times, there's that chance that you did it wrong five times.
It doesn't burn a quart, it strait leaks it. It leaks more when the car is under load but reguardless it leaks constantly under idle and even while sitting with the engine completely off, albiet just slower (like a drip every 2-5 seconds).

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i am in iowa

i think i have some extra (new) seals laying around. get me an address and i will send what i have (if i find them) 100% free of charge.
I really appreciate the offer man, the least I can do is pay for shipping. I just bought another whole front engine reseal kit from Pelican to be sure I didn't miss anything but as evidence shows I'll probably need backups when I do something wrong...again...I'll send you a PM.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
is the front main seal on correctly and tight?? it takes a StrekStrekStrekStrekton of torque on that bolt
The crank seal is fine I haven't had any problems with it, it's mainly this lower balance shaft that is causing massive headaches.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM
7B944
Rennlist Member

On my 87 turbo, I replaced the seal, mylar washer, race and even the bearing on the lower balance shaft. On the third seal replacement, I coated the outside edge of the seal with RTV, put an o-ring in the groove in shaft and lok-tite on the gear bolt and was careful in aligning the housing to the shaft. Ran it for awhile without the covers to check. It is better, but still seeps some oil. The top balance shaft, cam and crank seals that I installed do not leak. I'm sure I used the correct size seal. Do a search here and on Pelican and you will see others have also had this problem. I suspect it being near the bottom of the engine may have an effect? Appreciate any wisdom on why these are so hard to seal.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Its a mechanical issue not a magic one, so I guess you need a person that knows these engines insideout to check your engine.

Don't give up!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Elliot9, here are some things to check

The lower balance shaft seal# should end in 28140 and the size is 30 by 48 which should be on the seal.

The upper balance shaft seal# should end in 28240 and the size is 30 by 47.

The cam shaft can use two different seals depending on size. One seal is the same as the upper blance shaft seal which is 30 by 47.

The later cams used seal #99911334940 which was 32 by 47. If you have the smaller cam and put this seal on then I imagine you would have a nice leak.

If you did not put the mylar seals on then this would probably cause a small leak, not a major leak like you have.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Elliot9, you still have not responded about whether the replaceable race/steel sleeve that the inside of the seal contacts has a groove in it or if you had replaced it. I replace the race if it has any kind of groove because I do not like to do the seals 2 times.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:48 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay W
Elliot9, you still have not responded about whether the replaceable race/steel sleeve that the inside of the seal contacts has a groove in it or if you had replaced it. I replace the race if it has any kind of groove because I do not like to do the seals 2 times.
My bet is that Jay is correct. Replace the race that goes behind the seal and see what happens.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Elliot9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jay W
I missed the response. I'm sorry. I don't know if it has a groove or not but hopefully I will have pictures sometime in the coming week, I don't have access to the car during the weekend since it's at my school. I'm stuck until Tuesday at the earliest.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:31 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

neat trick. put some automotive a/c dye in the oil. run the engine for like 15mins. get an leak detector light, and glasses. look for glowing. follow glowing back to source...leak found.

Quick Reply: Throwing in the towel, I need help...or a buyer